I have some iSCSI questions for the MS professionals - Storage

This is a discussion on I have some iSCSI questions for the MS professionals - Storage ; I have a server running Storage Server R2 and I have some questions about how data is stored using an iSCSI LUN. This may be a complex question so bare with me. I have set up a LUN under LUN ...

  1. I have some iSCSI questions for the MS professionals

    I have a server running Storage Server R2 and I have some questions about how
    data is stored using an iSCSI LUN. This may be a complex question so bare
    with me.

    I have set up a LUN under LUN Management in Storage Manager for SANs and I
    am set up another server to connect to this LUN via the latest MS iSCSI
    initiator.

    But under disk management on this other server, I‘m prompted to format the
    volume. The actual volume on the storage server already has data on it with
    shared directories.

    So I formatted it anyway. This is when I noticed a file on the storage
    server’s volume that took almost all remaining space.

    I’m kinda new to iSCSI but I’m guessing that file is kinda like a virtual
    drive and has allocated its capacity on that volume.

    What I would like is to be able to have the D: drive or some of its folders,
    on my storage server, set up so I can connect to them over the network using
    iSCSI initiators on a couple of my servers. Is there any way I can do this
    or am I forced to use either iSCSI or just plain shared folders?

    Now for some background details…
    The server is a Dell PowerVault 745n with an adaptec cerc SATA 1.5/6ch RAID
    card and the 4 250gb drives are currently set up in a RAID5 array split in a
    15gb partition for the OS, and a 686gb partition for storage.

    I know HP has storage server r2 units for sale and they have the iSCSI
    feature pack available for R2 but the feature pack doesn’t work on my Dell.
    Dell isn’t on the ball like HP is when it comes to Storage server so I won’t
    be seeing a Dell supported install of storage server r2 or the iSCSI feature
    pack any time soon, if ever.

    So instead I’m using the String Bean WinTarget iSCSI server software for my
    iSCSI and VDS needs.

    Are my problems related to WinTarget? If they are, what alternatives do I
    have to be able to both share a volume as shared folders and iSCSI folders
    without having to use independent file structures? I want to connect to the
    D: volume on my storage server through shared folders and using the iSCSI
    initiator but I don’t want any virtual storage drives. Both connection
    methods should see the same content.

    Can anyone help?

  2. Re: I have some iSCSI questions for the MS professionals

    Ryan wrote:
    > I have a server running Storage Server R2 and I have some questions about how
    > data is stored using an iSCSI LUN. This may be a complex question so bare
    > with me.
    >
    > I have set up a LUN under LUN Management in Storage Manager for SANs and I
    > am set up another server to connect to this LUN via the latest MS iSCSI
    > initiator.
    >
    > > What I would like is to be able to have the D: drive or some of its

    folders,
    > on my storage server, set up so I can connect to them over the network using
    > iSCSI initiators on a couple of my servers.

    Is there any way I can do this
    > or am I forced to use either iSCSI or just plain shared folders?

    Plain shared folders is the way to go

    > I’m using the String Bean WinTarget iSCSI server software for my
    > iSCSI and VDS needs. Are my problems related to WinTarget?

    No they are related to your misunderstanding of a SAN volume: neither
    FC nor iSCSI have support for shared volumes. iSCSI is a block oriented
    protocol, won't manage or access files. Protocols that support sharing
    files are CIFS and NFS.

    If they are, what alternatives do I
    > have to be able to both share a volume as shared folders and iSCSI folders
    > without having to use independent file structures?

    Have no idea what the last part of the sentence means (iSCSI folders? -
    independent file structures? -two oxymoron?).

    > I want to connect to the
    > D: volume on my storage server through shared folders and using the iSCSI
    > initiator but I don’t want any virtual storage drives. Both connection
    > methods should see the same content.

    Try googling for "parallel file systems" perhaps that's what you mean.

    You may also want to check out the Hammer from Bell Micro, It's a
    storage box networkable via plain UDP that can do concurrent sharing of
    files and volumes but you have to install an agent/driver/etc.. on each
    client

    > Can anyone help?

+ Reply to Thread