Extending a Raid 5 array - Storage

This is a discussion on Extending a Raid 5 array - Storage ; Hi there. This has been troubling me for a few weeks now. i have a windows 2003 server 64x edition running 6 hard disks in the following configuration. Single 80.0 GB hard disk for my os. (It will soon be ...

  1. Extending a Raid 5 array

    Hi there.

    This has been troubling me for a few weeks now. i have a windows 2003 server
    64x edition running 6 hard disks in the following configuration.

    Single 80.0 GB hard disk for my os. (It will soon be mirrored)
    4 * 200gb hard disks for data giving 550 gb of usable space in a raid 5
    array.
    1 * 200gb hard disk that i want to add to the above mentioned array.

    I am using windows logical disk manager.

    I have searched through all the disk manager options to no avail and have
    used diskpart.exe, and get the error message the selected volume can not be
    extended please select another volume and try again.

    All my drives are NTFS and the drive that i wish to add to the raid is
    dynamic.

    Anybody got any good insight?

  2. RE: Extending a Raid 5 array

    Only way you can add a disk to the hardware array is as follows;

    1. backup all your data [twice] and do a test partial restore so you know
    your data is backed up.
    2. add the drive physically to the system
    3. go into the hardware raid controller and DELETE the existing raid5 array.
    4. recreate the array with the additional disk
    5. in Disk Manager recreate the volume
    6. restore your data.

    I see no mention of a hot spare. Highly suggest you get one in the system
    for failover of any drive in the raid arrays.

  3. RE: Extending a Raid 5 array

    Thanks for the reply however, I am not using a hardware raid 5 controller i
    am using Microsoft Dynamic Drive. I have physically added the drive to the
    system. I also a hot spare is not critical in this application.

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks

    Cameron

    "Joshua Bolton" wrote:

    > Only way you can add a disk to the hardware array is as follows;
    >
    > 1. backup all your data [twice] and do a test partial restore so you know
    > your data is backed up.
    > 2. add the drive physically to the system
    > 3. go into the hardware raid controller and DELETE the existing raid5 array.
    > 4. recreate the array with the additional disk
    > 5. in Disk Manager recreate the volume
    > 6. restore your data.
    >
    > I see no mention of a hot spare. Highly suggest you get one in the system
    > for failover of any drive in the raid arrays.

  4. RE: Extending a Raid 5 array

    Servers and software raid... I just have to shake my head. A good raid
    card is the price of a scsi drive. I just can't see skimping on such an
    important component.

    But that doesn't address your issue.

    You could do the same as I described for hardware with software mirroring.
    You would backup, delete the dymanic raid5, recreate with the added disk and
    restore your data. This is the preferred method.

    There is server repartitioning software. Symantec's Volume Manager [now
    Storage Foundation] and others. Not sure if they work with software raid5
    and they tend to start at the $600 mark.

  5. RE: Extending a Raid 5 array

    yeah thanks.

    I will look at that software. This box is actually running as a storage for
    my non-critical data, music etc. it is running with 4* 200gb drives at the
    moment with the intent to add 1 more.

    Thanks for your help.

    Cameron

    "Joshua Bolton" wrote:

    > Servers and software raid... I just have to shake my head. A good raid
    > card is the price of a scsi drive. I just can't see skimping on such an
    > important component.
    >
    > But that doesn't address your issue.
    >
    > You could do the same as I described for hardware with software mirroring.
    > You would backup, delete the dymanic raid5, recreate with the added disk and
    > restore your data. This is the preferred method.
    >
    > There is server repartitioning software. Symantec's Volume Manager [now
    > Storage Foundation] and others. Not sure if they work with software raid5
    > and they tend to start at the $600 mark.

+ Reply to Thread