Windows 2003 Disk Limit - Storage

This is a discussion on Windows 2003 Disk Limit - Storage ; we just bought a Dell Powervault Direct Attached Raid unit which holds 5TB in Raid 5 and expandable to 20tb I belive, but when I going to the disk manager in windows 2003 standard edition, it can only let me ...

  1. Windows 2003 Disk Limit

    we just bought a Dell Powervault Direct Attached Raid unit which holds 5TB in
    Raid 5 and expandable to 20tb I belive, but when I going to the disk manager
    in windows 2003 standard edition, it can only let me create a partition for
    2tb. the rest is Unallocated and can't create a partition.

    I think I'm really massed up. Do I need Windows 2003 storage server edition
    in order to use all that space? The plan is also to expand the raid to
    10-15tb in the future. It's only for archive purposes, so no perfomance
    needed.

    I'm new to this, can someone please point me a direction. I don't want to
    deal with SAN since all the equipments are already purchased.

    Thank you very much!

  2. Re: Windows 2003 Disk Limit

    I know for a fact that W2K3 supports drives of that size, I have a Promise
    iSCSI that is 5 TB +. The problem I had that was similar was a bug in the
    array firmware that would only show a 2TB drive size. You don't mention how
    you have it attached, is it to a Dell PERC card? If so make sure the RAID
    card setup sees the entire drive. Also if you just purchased this from Dell
    I would call them as their storage support is very good.
    "Jason Li" wrote in message
    > we just bought a Dell Powervault Direct Attached Raid unit which holds 5TB
    > in
    > Raid 5 and expandable to 20tb I belive, but when I going to the disk
    > manager
    > in windows 2003 standard edition, it can only let me create a partition
    > for
    > 2tb. the rest is Unallocated and can't create a partition.
    >
    > I think I'm really massed up. Do I need Windows 2003 storage server
    > edition
    > in order to use all that space? The plan is also to expand the raid to
    > 10-15tb in the future. It's only for archive purposes, so no perfomance
    > needed.
    >
    > I'm new to this, can someone please point me a direction. I don't want to
    > deal with SAN since all the equipments are already purchased.
    >
    > Thank you very much!

  3. Re: Windows 2003 Disk Limit

    The Max 2TB is the limitation of "Basic" Disks.
    Try creating Dynamic disks , each Dynamic Disk should be of max 2TB. You
    can create upto a total 32 disks(max 64 TB).
    In your case create 5 disks (5 * 1TB) and stripe the dynamic disks, since
    you are using RAID 5 you have to allocate one disk for parity. so
    effectively you will have 4TB...

    Manoj

    "Jason Li" wrote in message
    > we just bought a Dell Powervault Direct Attached Raid unit which holds 5TB
    > in
    > Raid 5 and expandable to 20tb I belive, but when I going to the disk
    > manager
    > in windows 2003 standard edition, it can only let me create a partition
    > for
    > 2tb. the rest is Unallocated and can't create a partition.
    >
    > I think I'm really massed up. Do I need Windows 2003 storage server
    > edition
    > in order to use all that space? The plan is also to expand the raid to
    > 10-15tb in the future. It's only for archive purposes, so no perfomance
    > needed.
    >
    > I'm new to this, can someone please point me a direction. I don't want to
    > deal with SAN since all the equipments are already purchased.
    >
    > Thank you very much!

  4. Re: Windows 2003 Disk Limit

    You can also use GPT disks (if you are using Win2k3SP1 or later) - they can
    grow to 256TB.

    Pat

    "Manoj Rajagopalan" wrote in message
    > The Max 2TB is the limitation of "Basic" Disks.
    > Try creating Dynamic disks , each Dynamic Disk should be of max 2TB. You
    > can create upto a total 32 disks(max 64 TB).
    > In your case create 5 disks (5 * 1TB) and stripe the dynamic disks, since
    > you are using RAID 5 you have to allocate one disk for parity. so
    > effectively you will have 4TB...
    >
    > Manoj
    >
    > "Jason Li" wrote in message
    >> we just bought a Dell Powervault Direct Attached Raid unit which holds
    >> 5TB in
    >> Raid 5 and expandable to 20tb I belive, but when I going to the disk
    >> manager
    >> in windows 2003 standard edition, it can only let me create a partition
    >> for
    >> 2tb. the rest is Unallocated and can't create a partition.
    >>
    >> I think I'm really massed up. Do I need Windows 2003 storage server
    >> edition
    >> in order to use all that space? The plan is also to expand the raid to
    >> 10-15tb in the future. It's only for archive purposes, so no perfomance
    >> needed.
    >>
    >> I'm new to this, can someone please point me a direction. I don't want to
    >> deal with SAN since all the equipments are already purchased.
    >>
    >> Thank you very much!

+ Reply to Thread