Enabling Singe Instance Storage - Storage

This is a discussion on Enabling Singe Instance Storage - Storage ; I just got a WSS 2K3 R2 server. I am trying to find any documentation on SIS. To enable it is just enabling the service? I just can't find any details on TechNet or in the help files. Thanks....

  1. Enabling Singe Instance Storage

    I just got a WSS 2K3 R2 server. I am trying to find any documentation on
    SIS. To enable it is just enabling the service? I just can't find any
    details on TechNet or in the help files. Thanks.

  2. Re: Enabling Singe Instance Storage

    Whitepaper:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...3/default.mspx

    Basically you just need to use the SISAdmin tool.

    Pat

    "Brian Hoyt" wrote in message
    >I just got a WSS 2K3 R2 server. I am trying to find any documentation on
    >SIS. To enable it is just enabling the service? I just can't find any
    >details on TechNet or in the help files. Thanks.

  3. Re: Enabling Singe Instance Storage

    I guess I was hoping for a bit more. The whitepaper I found and read was
    SingleInstanceStorage.doc published in May 2006.
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...nceStorage.doc
    It mentions lots about features but nothing about implementation.

    "Sisadmin.exe Command Line Sisadmin.exe gives administrators command-line
    functionality for deploying, configuring, and managing SIS, including
    activating the SIS Filter and Groveler services. Sisadmin is used for
    switching Groveler between background and foreground use. It also displays
    information about SIS files and manages error messages."

    That is the total doc of implementation? There is nothing in there about
    enabling the filter driver (do I need to manually) or enabling the service?

    Anything else? Thanks.

    "Pat [MSFT}" wrote in message
    > Whitepaper:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...3/default.mspx
    >
    > Basically you just need to use the SISAdmin tool.
    >

    > Pat
    >
    > "Brian Hoyt" wrote in message
    >>I just got a WSS 2K3 R2 server. I am trying to find any documentation on
    >>SIS. To enable it is just enabling the service? I just can't find any
    >>details on TechNet or in the help files. Thanks.

  4. Re: Enabling Singe Instance Storage

    Hi,

    One of the good things about SIS is that there is not much to do. You can
    get the complete usage information for SIS by using "sisadmin /?" from a
    command prompt. Here are a couple points:

    -To answer your question about how to enable SIS, you can install SIS on the
    X: volume by typing "sisadmin /i X:" for example. Also note there is no
    uninstall command in sisadmin. Once SIS is enabled on a volume, the easiest
    way to remove SIS from the volume involves restoring data from backup.

    -There is a component of SIS called the groveller, which scans the volume
    for duplicate files. By default this process runs in "background mode", only
    when the server is idle. The groveller also supports "foreground mode",
    which allows it to more aggressively use compute resources to scan the
    volume. On a busy server, it may take the groveller a long time to complete
    the initial scan if it is in background mode. So you may want to set the
    groveller to foreground mode on a newly-installed SIS volume. When you place
    the groveller in foreground mode, it will automatically revert to background
    mode when it has completed it's scan. sisadmin also allows you to enable or
    disable the groveller service.

    -Sisadmin also supports some reporting arguments, which will give you
    information about the files and volumes that SIS is installed on.

    Hope that helps,
    Jason

    "Brian Hoyt" wrote:

    > I guess I was hoping for a bit more. The whitepaper I found and read was
    > SingleInstanceStorage.doc published in May 2006.
    > http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...nceStorage.doc
    > It mentions lots about features but nothing about implementation.
    >
    > "Sisadmin.exe Command Line Sisadmin.exe gives administrators command-line
    > functionality for deploying, configuring, and managing SIS, including
    > activating the SIS Filter and Groveler services. Sisadmin is used for
    > switching Groveler between background and foreground use. It also displays
    > information about SIS files and manages error messages."
    >
    > That is the total doc of implementation? There is nothing in there about
    > enabling the filter driver (do I need to manually) or enabling the service?
    >
    > Anything else? Thanks.
    >
    > "Pat [MSFT}" wrote in message
    > > Whitepaper:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...3/default.mspx
    > >
    > > Basically you just need to use the SISAdmin tool.
    > >

    > > Pat
    > >
    > > "Brian Hoyt" wrote in message
    > >>I just got a WSS 2K3 R2 server. I am trying to find any documentation on
    > >>SIS. To enable it is just enabling the service? I just can't find any
    > >>details on TechNet or in the help files. Thanks.

  5. Singe Instance Storage - does it also work on file fragments?

    Does single instance storage also work on file fragments?

  6. Re: Singe Instance Storage - does it also work on file fragments?

    It works at the file level, not the segment/block level. The replication
    service (FRSv2) works at the block level.

    Pat

    "Notes guy" guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Does single instance storage also work on file fragments?

+ Reply to Thread