san disks appearing in double - Storage

This is a discussion on san disks appearing in double - Storage ; Hi Guys I have configured a SAN (an EVA 4000) just yesterday and when I boot up the servers to which the disks have been presented, the disks are appearing in doubles in disk management. There are a couple of ...

  1. san disks appearing in double

    Hi Guys
    I have configured a SAN (an EVA 4000) just yesterday and when I boot up the
    servers to which the disks have been presented, the disks are appearing in
    doubles in disk management. There are a couple of servers where the number of
    disks appearing is thrice the number presented.
    For ex. I presented 10 disks to one of the servers and when I go into disk
    management, it shows 30 disks (thrice). Another server has 8 disks presented
    to it and shows 16 disks. I have done reboots etc but getting nowhere with
    this

    Has someone come across this previously? If yes can you please let me know
    how you fixed it.

  2. Re: san disks appearing in double

    hi you should use the failover driver of your SAN storage. this will insure
    that you only see 1 disk for each volume you present to your server.
    if you are seeing the disks on some servers two times and on some servers
    three times this means that you have 2 paths from some of your servers
    to your storage and three paths on the other ones. so you should check your
    cabling, zoning and LUN masking to make sure that you have the
    number of paths you expect.

    hope that helps. rgds karl.

    "nirmalkish" wrote in message
    > Hi Guys
    > I have configured a SAN (an EVA 4000) just yesterday and when I boot up
    > the
    > servers to which the disks have been presented, the disks are appearing in
    > doubles in disk management. There are a couple of servers where the number
    > of
    > disks appearing is thrice the number presented.
    > For ex. I presented 10 disks to one of the servers and when I go into disk
    > management, it shows 30 disks (thrice). Another server has 8 disks
    > presented
    > to it and shows 16 disks. I have done reboots etc but getting nowhere with
    > this
    >
    > Has someone come across this previously? If yes can you please let me know
    > how you fixed it.

  3. Re: san disks appearing in double

    This behavior depends on to how many EVA controller ports your server is
    connected to, each controller is a seperate target , for example if your
    server has 3 independent paths to the array on different controller ports,
    then for each lun there are 3 targets , and hence the duplicate luns.

    Install the HP Securepath for EVA, this is a multi-pathing software for the
    EVA. after you install this you will only see one lun(for any number of
    paths) in the diskmgmt console.

    Manoj

    "nirmalkish" wrote in message
    > Hi Guys
    > I have configured a SAN (an EVA 4000) just yesterday and when I boot up
    > the
    > servers to which the disks have been presented, the disks are appearing in
    > doubles in disk management. There are a couple of servers where the number
    > of
    > disks appearing is thrice the number presented.
    > For ex. I presented 10 disks to one of the servers and when I go into disk
    > management, it shows 30 disks (thrice). Another server has 8 disks
    > presented
    > to it and shows 16 disks. I have done reboots etc but getting nowhere with
    > this
    >
    > Has someone come across this previously? If yes can you please let me know
    > how you fixed it.

  4. Re: san disks appearing in double

    Have you downloaded and installed MPIO from HP?

    "nirmalkish" wrote in message
    > Hi Guys
    > I have configured a SAN (an EVA 4000) just yesterday and when I boot up
    > the
    > servers to which the disks have been presented, the disks are appearing in
    > doubles in disk management. There are a couple of servers where the number
    > of
    > disks appearing is thrice the number presented.
    > For ex. I presented 10 disks to one of the servers and when I go into disk
    > management, it shows 30 disks (thrice). Another server has 8 disks
    > presented
    > to it and shows 16 disks. I have done reboots etc but getting nowhere with
    > this
    >
    > Has someone come across this previously? If yes can you please let me know
    > how you fixed it.

+ Reply to Thread