Recommended LUNs for iSCSI file server - Storage

This is a discussion on Recommended LUNs for iSCSI file server - Storage ; Hello: One of my file servers (Win 2k3 EN R2) attaches to a large iSCSI array. I have several shares that I want to make available off of this. As I see it, I can make a single (or a ...

  1. Recommended LUNs for iSCSI file server

    Hello:

    One of my file servers (Win 2k3 EN R2) attaches to a large iSCSI array. I have
    several shares that I want to make available off of this. As I see it, I can
    make a single (or a few) large LUNs on the array and then share folders off
    each LUN. Alternatively, I could make a separate LUN for each share (that is, a
    single folder at the root of each LUN). My guess is that I will do a hybrid but
    what are the pros and cons of each? Is there a best practice here?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Recommended LUNs for iSCSI file server

    On thought is how will the volume layout impact quotas if you are using
    them? Another thought is how is the storage configured on the array? Does
    it make sense/is there any benefit to carving it up and then stitching it
    back together?

    "Nordic" wrote in message
    > Hello:
    >
    > One of my file servers (Win 2k3 EN R2) attaches to a large iSCSI array. I
    > have
    > several shares that I want to make available off of this. As I see it, I
    > can
    > make a single (or a few) large LUNs on the array and then share folders
    > off
    > each LUN. Alternatively, I could make a separate LUN for each share (that
    > is, a
    > single folder at the root of each LUN). My guess is that I will do a
    > hybrid but
    > what are the pros and cons of each? Is there a best practice here?
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. Re: Recommended LUNs for iSCSI file server

    "Nordic" wrote in message
    > Hello:
    >
    > One of my file servers (Win 2k3 EN R2) attaches to a large iSCSI array. I
    > have
    > several shares that I want to make available off of this. As I see it, I
    > can
    > make a single (or a few) large LUNs on the array and then share folders
    > off
    > each LUN. Alternatively, I could make a separate LUN for each share (that
    > is, a
    > single folder at the root of each LUN). My guess is that I will do a
    > hybrid but
    > what are the pros and cons of each? Is there a best practice here?
    >
    > Thanks.

  4. Re: Recommended LUNs for iSCSI file server

    Hmmmm? We do not currently use quotas but would like to. What are the factors
    here? I recall something about having to apply quotas to the entire partition
    under W2k. Is this still (or ever) the case? I think R2 expands this, no?

    As for the array, it is currently one large chunk of several TB. My reason for
    using discrete LUNs is that it will more easily allow me to either a) move the
    LUN to another physical box attached to the array, or b) give me greater
    control over expanding the LUN for just the shares that need it. My concern was
    more from the Windows side: is it harder for a file server to deal with lots of
    local drives? Does this add some great bandwidth demand when accessing the
    array? (E.g., is pulling it all from the E: drive more efficient than pulling
    it from E:, F, G, H, and I?)

    So far the performance is fine especially with the jumbo frames. Any thoughts
    welcome.

    "John Fullbright [MVP]" wrote:
    >On thought is how will the volume layout impact quotas if you are using
    >them? Another thought is how is the storage configured on the array? Does
    >it make sense/is there any benefit to carving it up and then stitching it
    >back together?
    >

    >"Nordic" wrote in message
    >> Hello:
    >>
    >> One of my file servers (Win 2k3 EN R2) attaches to a large iSCSI array. I
    >> have
    >> several shares that I want to make available off of this. As I see it, I
    >> can
    >> make a single (or a few) large LUNs on the array and then share folders
    >> off
    >> each LUN. Alternatively, I could make a separate LUN for each share (that
    >> is, a
    >> single folder at the root of each LUN). My guess is that I will do a
    >> hybrid but
    >> what are the pros and cons of each? Is there a best practice here?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

  5. Re: Recommended LUNs for iSCSI file server

    A write to NTFS involes a bit of metadata (the journal, MFT, Directory
    structures, etc), but I don't have any data point on if it would be more or
    less if you break it multiple LUNs. I was thinking quotas at the volume
    level as well when I wrote the comment, however I do think R2 does add
    quota management at the volume, folder or share
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...e/default.mspx. From an
    IOPS standpoint, I don't see where it would be larger. I guess it comes
    down to NTFS volume size and recovery scenarios.

+ Reply to Thread