MAC Long file names - Storage

This is a discussion on MAC Long file names - Storage ; Is it possible to get file names longer than 31 characters on a Windows Storage Server 2003 NAS device? I know I had to go through lots of registry changes to get this on the Windows 2003 server but now ...

  1. MAC Long file names

    Is it possible to get file names longer than 31 characters on a Windows
    Storage Server 2003 NAS device?

    I know I had to go through lots of registry changes to get this on the
    Windows 2003 server but now they are looking for a NAS solution.
    --
    Pete

  2. Re: MAC Long file names

    Yes. The default maximum is 255 characters (incl. path).

    Pat

    "Pete994" wrote in message
    > Is it possible to get file names longer than 31 characters on a Windows
    > Storage Server 2003 NAS device?
    >
    > I know I had to go through lots of registry changes to get this on the
    > Windows 2003 server but now they are looking for a NAS solution.
    > --
    > Pete

  3. Re: MAC Long file names

    Pat, not that I want to doubt you but it makes me wonder, Why did I have to
    make registry and Group policy changes to a Windows 2003 Standard server
    before Macs could see long file names greater than 31 characters but I don't
    have to on a WSS 2003?

    I would be happy if they made thsi a default, just don't know if they did.
    --
    Pete

    "Pat [MSFT]" wrote:

    > Yes. The default maximum is 255 characters (incl. path).
    >

    > Pat
    >
    > "Pete994" wrote in message
    > > Is it possible to get file names longer than 31 characters on a Windows
    > > Storage Server 2003 NAS device?
    > >
    > > I know I had to go through lots of registry changes to get this on the
    > > Windows 2003 server but now they are looking for a NAS solution.
    > > --
    > > Pete

  4. Re: MAC Long file names

    In article ,
    Pete994 wrote:

    > Pat, not that I want to doubt you but it makes me wonder, Why did I have to
    > make registry and Group policy changes to a Windows 2003 Standard server
    > before Macs could see long file names greater than 31 characters but I don't
    > have to on a WSS 2003?
    >
    > I would be happy if they made thsi a default, just don't know if they did.

    File Services for Macintosh on Windows Server uses AppleTalk Filing
    Protocol (AFP) 2.2. The protocol itself is limited to 31 characters and
    you can't extend this.

    Your Macs will connect using AFP only if you have File Services for
    Macintosh installed on the server and they enter something like the
    following examples into their Connect to Server... windows:

    servername
    afp://servername
    afp://servername.domain.com

    If your Macs connect via SMB (Windows style file sharing) then they can
    use file names up to 255 characters. Your Macs will connect using SMB
    when they enter something like the following examples into their Connect
    to Server... windows:

    smb://servername
    smb://servername.domain.com

    If your users browse the network to find the server, then they'll
    connect via AFP if they find the server via an AppleTalk zone and
    connect via SMB if they find the server via a Windows DOMAIN.

    ExtremeZ-IP from http://www.grouplogic.com is a third party AFP file
    server for Windows that supports the AFP 3.x protocol. If you use this
    product then your Macs can connect using their native AFP file sharing
    protocol and use up to 255 characters in their file names.

    Hope this helps! bill
    --
    William M. Smith
    (Microsoft Interop MVP - Mac/Windows)