Storage Server 03 R2 Workgroup Edition - Storage

This is a discussion on Storage Server 03 R2 Workgroup Edition - Storage ; I'm brand new to the NAS world & I just purchased a power edge server from Dell with WSS 03 R2 and was led to beleive by the sales rep i worked with that two features i was very interested ...

  1. Storage Server 03 R2 Workgroup Edition

    I'm brand new to the NAS world & I just purchased a power edge server from
    Dell with WSS 03 R2 and was led to beleive by the sales rep i worked with
    that two features i was very interested in - SIS & SharePoint Services - were
    included with this OS. upon examining the Administrator's Guide it is clear
    that neither of these features are supported by the Workgroup edition. is it
    possible to just upgrade the OS to Standard Edition or will i also need to
    increase the hardware and hence would be better off just sending the thing
    back to Dell? It will support around 50 users primarily for file serving &
    Sahrepoint. (it came with a 2.8 GHz P4 & 1 GB RAM, RAID 1). thanks. erik

  2. Re: Storage Server 03 R2 Workgroup Edition

    You will need to work with Dell; MS does not provide version upgrades (each
    OEM embeds drivers, etc. in the image that comes with their device so you
    would need to get the bits from them - if available). The STD will run on
    any HW that Workgroup will run on - i.e. there is no required additional HW.

    For 50 users what you have is plenty. If you were to want to upgrade, I
    would probably go with more RAM or a RAID5 system.

    Pat

    "ehaunold" wrote in message
    > I'm brand new to the NAS world & I just purchased a power edge server from
    > Dell with WSS 03 R2 and was led to beleive by the sales rep i worked with
    > that two features i was very interested in - SIS & SharePoint Services -
    > were
    > included with this OS. upon examining the Administrator's Guide it is
    > clear
    > that neither of these features are supported by the Workgroup edition. is
    > it
    > possible to just upgrade the OS to Standard Edition or will i also need to
    > increase the hardware and hence would be better off just sending the thing
    > back to Dell? It will support around 50 users primarily for file serving &
    > Sahrepoint. (it came with a 2.8 GHz P4 & 1 GB RAM, RAID 1). thanks. erik

  3. RE: Storage Server 03 R2 Workgroup Edition

    I am guessing you got a PowerEdge 830. From what Dell has told me there is
    no option to upgrade the version of WSS. Only option is to get a PowerEdge
    2950 with WSS Standard. I have had two Dell NAS boxes and they never seem to
    offer upgrades from one version to another, such as 2K3 to R2.

    "ehaunold" wrote:

    > I'm brand new to the NAS world & I just purchased a power edge server from
    > Dell with WSS 03 R2 and was led to beleive by the sales rep i worked with
    > that two features i was very interested in - SIS & SharePoint Services - were
    > included with this OS. upon examining the Administrator's Guide it is clear
    > that neither of these features are supported by the Workgroup edition. is it
    > possible to just upgrade the OS to Standard Edition or will i also need to
    > increase the hardware and hence would be better off just sending the thing
    > back to Dell? It will support around 50 users primarily for file serving &
    > Sahrepoint. (it came with a 2.8 GHz P4 & 1 GB RAM, RAID 1). thanks. erik

+ Reply to Thread