Problem copying over 65,534 files to single NTFS folder - Storage

This is a discussion on Problem copying over 65,534 files to single NTFS folder - Storage ; I'm trying to copy over 70,000 files from from a single folder on an NTFS partition on a 2003 server w/SP1 across a network to a portable USB hard drive (formated in NTFS) on a WinXP SP2 PC. I know ...

  1. Problem copying over 65,534 files to single NTFS folder

    I'm trying to copy over 70,000 files from from a single folder on an NTFS
    partition on a 2003 server w/SP1 across a network to a portable USB hard
    drive (formated in NTFS) on a WinXP SP2 PC. I know FAT32 can only handle
    65,534 files in any given folder, the strange thing is, I'm getting the exact
    same problem on an NTFS partition! Could it have anything to do with cluster
    size or anything like that? So in short, I get and error trying to create
    more than 65,534 files in a single folder on an NTFS partition... any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

    Nick nmoore2001@hotmail[deleteme}.com

  2. Re: Problem copying over 65,534 files to single NTFS folder

    NTFS has no limit on the file count for a given folder - many folks
    routinely go >100k per folder.

    Are you very sure that the HDD is formatted NTFS - i.e. have you checked via
    disk manager?

    Pat

    "Nick Moore" wrote in message
    > I'm trying to copy over 70,000 files from from a single folder on an NTFS
    > partition on a 2003 server w/SP1 across a network to a portable USB hard
    > drive (formated in NTFS) on a WinXP SP2 PC. I know FAT32 can only handle
    > 65,534 files in any given folder, the strange thing is, I'm getting the
    > exact
    > same problem on an NTFS partition! Could it have anything to do with
    > cluster
    > size or anything like that? So in short, I get and error trying to create
    > more than 65,534 files in a single folder on an NTFS partition... any
    > ideas?
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Nick nmoore2001@hotmail[deleteme}.com

  3. Re: Problem copying over 65,534 files to single NTFS folder

    Yes, I've formatted and reformatted and it's defintately in NTFS. I think it
    may be a hardware/firmware limitation with the specific drive I'm using, I
    got it to back up fine to a different brand HDD...

    Nick

    "Pat [MSFT]" wrote:

    > NTFS has no limit on the file count for a given folder - many folks
    > routinely go >100k per folder.
    >
    > Are you very sure that the HDD is formatted NTFS - i.e. have you checked via
    > disk manager?
    >

    > Pat
    >

    > "Nick Moore" wrote in message
    > > I'm trying to copy over 70,000 files from from a single folder on an NTFS
    > > partition on a 2003 server w/SP1 across a network to a portable USB hard
    > > drive (formated in NTFS) on a WinXP SP2 PC. I know FAT32 can only handle
    > > 65,534 files in any given folder, the strange thing is, I'm getting the
    > > exact
    > > same problem on an NTFS partition! Could it have anything to do with
    > > cluster
    > > size or anything like that? So in short, I get and error trying to create
    > > more than 65,534 files in a single folder on an NTFS partition... any
    > > ideas?
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Nick nmoore2001@hotmail[deleteme}.com

+ Reply to Thread