iSCSI Question Server R2 - Storage

This is a discussion on iSCSI Question Server R2 - Storage ; I understand that WSS R2 now includes iSCSI support. In fact, I saw on HP's web site that their iSCSI feature pack is not supported on R2. Now, does this mean that if I want to build a simple iSCSI ...

  1. iSCSI Question Server R2

    I understand that WSS R2 now includes iSCSI support. In fact, I saw on HP's
    web site that their iSCSI feature pack is not supported on R2. Now, does this
    mean that if I want to build a simple iSCSI SAN to support Exchange and File
    serving, all I need is a storage server running WSS R2?

    Thanks.
    Bart

  2. RE: iSCSI Question Server R2

    The Microsoft iSCSI software target feature pack has not been released to
    OEMs yet. HP has an iSCSI target for their storage server devices that
    comes from a third party vendor today.

    Your thinking is correct in a sense, once the iSCSI application pack is
    released to OEMs from MSFT, you can build a simple iSCSI SAN to support
    Exchange and file serving by using Windows Storage Server 203 R2 device with
    this application pack once it is released. Or you can do that today using a
    third party software target.

    "Bartly" wrote:

    > I understand that WSS R2 now includes iSCSI support. In fact, I saw on HP's
    > web site that their iSCSI feature pack is not supported on R2. Now, does this
    > mean that if I want to build a simple iSCSI SAN to support Exchange and File
    > serving, all I need is a storage server running WSS R2?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Bart

  3. RE: iSCSI Question Server R2

    Thank you Claude. I will look at HP again, and I have also sent an inquiry
    to Falconstor, which I believe produces a respected iSCSI target software
    package.

    -Bart

    "Claude[MSFT]" wrote:

    > The Microsoft iSCSI software target feature pack has not been released to
    > OEMs yet. HP has an iSCSI target for their storage server devices that
    > comes from a third party vendor today.
    >
    > Your thinking is correct in a sense, once the iSCSI application pack is
    > released to OEMs from MSFT, you can build a simple iSCSI SAN to support
    > Exchange and file serving by using Windows Storage Server 203 R2 device with
    > this application pack once it is released. Or you can do that today using a
    > third party software target.
    >

    > "Bartly" wrote:
    >
    > > I understand that WSS R2 now includes iSCSI support. In fact, I saw on HP's
    > > web site that their iSCSI feature pack is not supported on R2. Now, does this
    > > mean that if I want to build a simple iSCSI SAN to support Exchange and File
    > > serving, all I need is a storage server running WSS R2?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > > Bart

  4. Re: iSCSI Question Server R2

    According to one company that sells the HP "Storage Server" that comes with
    WSS2k3R2...it HAS iSCSI support included (which would explain why the HP
    iSCSI Feature Pack wasn't supported).
    Also, Microsoft says that iSCSI support is included in R2:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.mspx
    "Bartly" wrote in message
    > Thank you Claude. I will look at HP again, and I have also sent an

    inquiry
    > to Falconstor, which I believe produces a respected iSCSI target software
    > package.
    >
    > -Bart
    >
    > "Claude[MSFT]" wrote:
    >
    > > The Microsoft iSCSI software target feature pack has not been released

    > > OEMs yet. HP has an iSCSI target for their storage server devices that
    > > comes from a third party vendor today.
    > >
    > > Your thinking is correct in a sense, once the iSCSI application pack is
    > > released to OEMs from MSFT, you can build a simple iSCSI SAN to support
    > > Exchange and file serving by using Windows Storage Server 203 R2 device

    with
    > > this application pack once it is released. Or you can do that today

    using a
    > > third party software target.
    > >

    > > "Bartly" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I understand that WSS R2 now includes iSCSI support. In fact, I saw on

    HP's
    > > > web site that their iSCSI feature pack is not supported on R2. Now,

    does this
    > > > mean that if I want to build a simple iSCSI SAN to support Exchange

    and File
    > > > serving, all I need is a storage server running WSS R2?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks.
    > > > Bart

  5. Re: iSCSI Question Server R2

    That was my impression also. It would be nice to find a straighforward white
    paper or other docment on setting up an iSCSI SAN with Microsoft Storage
    Server. Do you know of one?

    Thanks

    "Greg" wrote:

    > According to one company that sells the HP "Storage Server" that comes with
    > WSS2k3R2...it HAS iSCSI support included (which would explain why the HP
    > iSCSI Feature Pack wasn't supported).
    > Also, Microsoft says that iSCSI support is included in R2:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.mspx
    > "Bartly" wrote in message
    > > Thank you Claude. I will look at HP again, and I have also sent an

    > inquiry
    > > to Falconstor, which I believe produces a respected iSCSI target software
    > > package.
    > >
    > > -Bart
    > >
    > > "Claude[MSFT]" wrote:
    > >
    > > > The Microsoft iSCSI software target feature pack has not been released

    > > > OEMs yet. HP has an iSCSI target for their storage server devices that
    > > > comes from a third party vendor today.
    > > >
    > > > Your thinking is correct in a sense, once the iSCSI application pack is
    > > > released to OEMs from MSFT, you can build a simple iSCSI SAN to support
    > > > Exchange and file serving by using Windows Storage Server 203 R2 device

    > with
    > > > this application pack once it is released. Or you can do that today

    > using a
    > > > third party software target.

    > HP's

    > does this

    > and File

  6. Re: iSCSI Question Server R2

    Here is all I have been able to find so far...some of it is hlepful:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...ansupport.mspx

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...ge/remote.mspx

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...i/default.mspx

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv.../msfiSCSI.mspx

    "Bartly" wrote in message
    > That was my impression also. It would be nice to find a straighforward

    white
    > paper or other docment on setting up an iSCSI SAN with Microsoft Storage
    > Server. Do you know of one?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Greg" wrote:
    >
    > > According to one company that sells the HP "Storage Server" that comes

    with
    > > WSS2k3R2...it HAS iSCSI support included (which would explain why the HP
    > > iSCSI Feature Pack wasn't supported).
    > > Also, Microsoft says that iSCSI support is included in R2:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.mspx
    > > "Bartly" wrote in message
    > > > Thank you Claude. I will look at HP again, and I have also sent an

    > > inquiry
    > > > to Falconstor, which I believe produces a respected iSCSI target

    software
    > > > package.
    > > >
    > > > -Bart

    released

    that

    is

    support

    device
    > > with

    > > using a

    saw on
    > > HP's

    Now,
    > > does this

    Exchange
    > > and File

  7. Re: iSCSI Question Server R2

    And I almost forgot...a user named JM post this to me in a previous post:

    Network Computing just did a story called "How to Build an iSCSI Disk
    Array" that might be interesting for you. Here's a link:

    http://tinyurl.com/fkvp6

    If you don't trust my tiny URL here's the (really long) URL:

    http://www.networkcomputing.com/chan...leID=188700280
    "Bartly" wrote in message
    > That was my impression also. It would be nice to find a straighforward

    white
    > paper or other docment on setting up an iSCSI SAN with Microsoft Storage
    > Server. Do you know of one?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Greg" wrote:
    >
    > > According to one company that sells the HP "Storage Server" that comes

    with
    > > WSS2k3R2...it HAS iSCSI support included (which would explain why the HP
    > > iSCSI Feature Pack wasn't supported).
    > > Also, Microsoft says that iSCSI support is included in R2:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.mspx
    > > "Bartly" wrote in message
    > > > Thank you Claude. I will look at HP again, and I have also sent an

    > > inquiry
    > > > to Falconstor, which I believe produces a respected iSCSI target

    software
    > > > package.
    > > >
    > > > -Bart

    released

    that

    is

    support

    device
    > > with

    > > using a

    saw on
    > > HP's

    Now,
    > > does this

    Exchange
    > > and File

  8. Re: iSCSI Question Server R2

    I did see that Greg. Thanks so much for all your help.

    -Bart

    "Greg" wrote:

    > And I almost forgot...a user named JM post this to me in a previous post:
    >
    > Network Computing just did a story called "How to Build an iSCSI Disk
    > Array" that might be interesting for you. Here's a link:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/fkvp6
    >
    > If you don't trust my tiny URL here's the (really long) URL:
    >
    > http://www.networkcomputing.com/chan...leID=188700280
    > "Bartly" wrote in message
    > > That was my impression also. It would be nice to find a straighforward

    > white
    > > paper or other docment on setting up an iSCSI SAN with Microsoft Storage
    > > Server. Do you know of one?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > "Greg" wrote:
    > >
    > > > According to one company that sells the HP "Storage Server" that comes

    > with
    > > > WSS2k3R2...it HAS iSCSI support included (which would explain why the HP
    > > > iSCSI Feature Pack wasn't supported).
    > > > Also, Microsoft says that iSCSI support is included in R2:
    > > >

    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.mspx
    > > > "Bartly" wrote in message
    > > > inquiry

    > software

    > released

    > that

    > is

    > support

    > device
    > > > with
    > > > using a

    > saw on
    > > > HP's

    > Now,
    > > > does this

    > Exchange
    > > > and File

  9. Re: iSCSI Question Server R2

    Bart,
    I would be interested in seeing what DNF charges for the FlexStor-NAS 400e,
    FlexStor-NAS 600e, and the FlexStor-NAS 800e.
    Let me know if you get prices from them.

    Thanks,
    Greg

  10. Re: iSCSI Question Server R2

    There seems to be a lot of confusion here.

    WSS R2 includes the iSCSI *initiator*
    (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.mspx
    refers to the initiator, not target)

    The iSCSI *target* will be an optional component for WSS R2 (released to the
    OEM as a Feature Pack) - not yet released. Based on WinTarget which was
    acquired from String Bean Software.

    "Greg" wrote in message
    > Bart,
    > I would be interested in seeing what DNF charges for the FlexStor-NAS
    > 400e,
    > FlexStor-NAS 600e, and the FlexStor-NAS 800e.
    > Let me know if you get prices from them.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Greg

  11. Re: iSCSI Question Server R2

    Confusion?!?!?!?
    Here are two statements from the website you cited:

    Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 supports the iSCSI protocol, making it easy
    to integrate with IP data transport environments.

    Internet Small Computer System Interface (iSCSI) support to enable
    connectivity to IP targets and IP SANs

    If WSS 03 R2 is "easy to integrate with IP data transport environments" and
    has "iSCSI support to enable connectivity to IP targets and IP SANs"...it
    has the capability of being an *initiator* AND a *target*.
    Is it unreasonable to think that with this kind of product information?
    Those statements are a little misleading.
    Maybe its just me, but that reads like WSS can be connected into an IP SAN.
    What if I want to make it a target? It must be okay, because it specifies
    "iSCSI support to enable connectivity to IP targets ***AND*** IP SANs",
    clearly pointing out that it can do more than be the initiator!
    Now I don't know WHAT to think!
    Except maybe MS doesn't WANT to offer support for the third party iSCSI
    target that HP offers, because MS will have their own out sometime.
    So I guess what really is the issue here is, what iSCSI target products does
    MS currently SUPPORT?
    "Jeff Goldner [MS]" wrote in message
    > There seems to be a lot of confusion here.
    >
    > WSS R2 includes the iSCSI *initiator*

    (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...nformation/fea
    tures/default.mspx
    > refers to the initiator, not target)
    >
    > The iSCSI *target* will be an optional component for WSS R2 (released to

    the
    > OEM as a Feature Pack) - not yet released. Based on WinTarget which was
    > acquired from String Bean Software.
    >
    > "Greg" wrote in message
    > > Bart,
    > > I would be interested in seeing what DNF charges for the FlexStor-NAS
    > > 400e,
    > > FlexStor-NAS 600e, and the FlexStor-NAS 800e.
    > > Let me know if you get prices from them.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Greg

+ Reply to Thread