Windows Storage Server on VMware - Storage

This is a discussion on Windows Storage Server on VMware - Storage ; We are moving towards an Virtual Infrastructure. Can I implement Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 on a Virtual Platform (VMware ESX). I know normaly I would buy a OEM box with the software perinstalled. But my hardware is a VM. ...

  1. Windows Storage Server on VMware

    We are moving towards an Virtual Infrastructure. Can I implement Windows
    Storage Server 2003 R2 on a Virtual Platform (VMware ESX). I know normaly I
    would buy a OEM box with the software perinstalled. But my hardware is a VM.

    So how do I get the software and the lics ?
    Are there known issues with such a config ?

    Greeting Rudi

  2. Re: Windows Storage Server on VMware

    Windows Storage Server is only available via OEMs.

    The General Purpose releases of Windows Server are supported in Virtual
    environments with some restrictions depending on your support contract
    level.

    Personally, I'm not a big fan of putting file servers (or web severs or any
    application that provides app level virtualization) in a virtual guest
    environment (VMWare, Virtual Server, or whatever). You lose _a lot_ of
    high-end scalability (e.g. on x32 no PAE, smaller caches, etc.) and you get
    much more bang for your buck by using storage virtualization technologies to
    accomplish what you need to do. For example, use DFS to mask the UNCs so
    that users hit a single share and are pointed to whichever server is
    closest, you can fail them between each other, etc. Then it doesn't matter
    which "machine" someone hits - they always get the data in a predictable
    way; and it scales across geographies. All you get in a Virtual Guest
    environment is the ability to move the OS itself between machines which
    isn't as beneficial for this workload.

    Pat

    "R Koppelman" wrote in message
    > We are moving towards an Virtual Infrastructure. Can I implement Windows
    > Storage Server 2003 R2 on a Virtual Platform (VMware ESX). I know normaly
    > would buy a OEM box with the software perinstalled. But my hardware is a
    > VM.
    >
    > So how do I get the software and the lics ?
    > Are there known issues with such a config ?
    >
    > Greeting Rudi

+ Reply to Thread