Basic question about SANs - Storage

This is a discussion on Basic question about SANs - Storage ; Can more than one computer associate a drive-letter with a single SAN? Can a computer with a SAN drive-letter share the SAN drive so others can read-write on it? Excuse my ignorance, I am just getting started with understanding how ...

  1. Basic question about SANs

    Can more than one computer associate a drive-letter with a single SAN?

    Can a computer with a SAN drive-letter share the SAN drive so others
    can read-write on it?

    Excuse my ignorance, I am just getting started with understanding how
    SANs work.

    - Mike

  2. Re: Basic question about SANs

    While you could configure zoning so this was possible, you would need to
    have a clustered file system on the disks so that the filesystem did not get
    corrupted. NTFS is not a clustered filesystem so if you have more than one
    host access a disk simultaneously, the filesystem will get corrupted.

    Regards,
    John

    "Floptimize" wrote in message
    news:1150923209.306127.50600@g10g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    > Can more than one computer associate a drive-letter with a single SAN?
    >
    > Can a computer with a SAN drive-letter share the SAN drive so others
    > can read-write on it?
    >
    > Excuse my ignorance, I am just getting started with understanding how
    > SANs work.
    >
    > - Mike

  3. Re: Basic question about SANs

    It also depends on the access required. If you need to share the LUN @ the
    block level, then something like PolyServe can do it. If you only need
    file/UNC level sharing, then you can hook the LUN to a single server & just
    create a share.

    Pat

    "John Toner [MVP]" wrote in message
    > While you could configure zoning so this was possible, you would need to
    > have a clustered file system on the disks so that the filesystem did not
    > get
    > corrupted. NTFS is not a clustered filesystem so if you have more than one
    > host access a disk simultaneously, the filesystem will get corrupted.
    >
    > Regards,
    > John
    >
    > "Floptimize" wrote in message
    > news:1150923209.306127.50600@g10g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    >> Can more than one computer associate a drive-letter with a single SAN?
    >>
    >> Can a computer with a SAN drive-letter share the SAN drive so others
    >> can read-write on it?
    >>
    >> Excuse my ignorance, I am just getting started with understanding how
    >> SANs work.
    >>
    >> - Mike

  4. Re: Basic question about SANs

    So, if one computer (the SAN Server) is attached to three other servers (a
    SQL Server, an Exchange Server, and a File Server) with block level access,
    does the SAN Server need something like Polyserve?
    In this scenario, the SAN Server is just a redundant storage area for all of
    the data on the other three servers. The other three servers would never
    need to access the data on the SAN Server unless a restore was needed.
    "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    > It also depends on the access required. If you need to share the LUN @

    the
    > block level, then something like PolyServe can do it. If you only need
    > file/UNC level sharing, then you can hook the LUN to a single server &

    just
    > create a share.
    >

    > Pat

  5. Re: Basic question about SANs

    No. You would have 3 LUNs created on the SAN and each of the servers would
    then own their own LUN.

    Pat

    "Greg" wrote in message
    > So, if one computer (the SAN Server) is attached to three other servers (a
    > SQL Server, an Exchange Server, and a File Server) with block level
    > access,
    > does the SAN Server need something like Polyserve?
    > In this scenario, the SAN Server is just a redundant storage area for all
    > of
    > the data on the other three servers. The other three servers would never
    > need to access the data on the SAN Server unless a restore was needed.
    > "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    >> It also depends on the access required. If you need to share the LUN @

    > the
    >> block level, then something like PolyServe can do it. If you only need
    >> file/UNC level sharing, then you can hook the LUN to a single server &

    > just
    >> create a share.
    >>

    >> Pat

  6. Re: Basic question about SANs

    What about something like on ISCSI:

    Setting up VMs (Virtual Machines) on Server A/LUN A. Then down server A and
    connect Server B to LUN A and running the VMs off of Server B/LUN A. Note
    that Server A is no longer in use.

    This should work correct?
    Bob

    "Floptimize" wrote in message
    news:1150923209.306127.50600@g10g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    > Can more than one computer associate a drive-letter with a single SAN?
    >
    > Can a computer with a SAN drive-letter share the SAN drive so others
    > can read-write on it?
    >
    > Excuse my ignorance, I am just getting started with understanding how
    > SANs work.
    >
    > - Mike

+ Reply to Thread