Seting up raid 0 on Asus P5WD2-E Premium? - Storage

This is a discussion on Seting up raid 0 on Asus P5WD2-E Premium? - Storage ; Hi, I just finished building my new computer. Here are the specs: Asus P5WD2-E Premium Pentium D 805 2.6GHz 2 x 512MB OCZ DDR2 800MHz Platinum Dual Channel 2 x 250GB Western Digital KS SATA 2 - 16Mb buffer ATI ...

  1. Seting up raid 0 on Asus P5WD2-E Premium?

    Hi,

    I just finished building my new computer. Here are the specs:

    Asus P5WD2-E Premium
    Pentium D 805 2.6GHz
    2 x 512MB OCZ DDR2 800MHz Platinum Dual Channel
    2 x 250GB Western Digital KS SATA 2 - 16Mb buffer
    ATI RADEON X1600 512MB PCI-E

    I'm not very familiar with raid. It the first time I try this.
    >From what I have read on the subject, the best way to install windows

    on striped drive is to set the array in the "bios" or the raid
    controller interface and then load the raid controller's driver from
    a floppy during the windows installation.

    I have read the Asus P5WD2-E Premium user manual and from what I can
    understand there is 3 different raid controller on that board. The
    Silicon image Raid, the Intel Raid and the ITE 8212F Raid.

    Now my questions are,

    1. Witch controller should I use? ( faster/better )
    2. Where do I plug my hard drives on the board so it will work with
    that controller? (Near the Southbridge chipset or at bottom of the
    board?)
    3. How do I enable that controller in the bios?
    4. And witch floppy driver correspond to witch controllers?

    When I will know all this, I should be more then OK to setup this
    thing.

    Thanks for your help and patience.

    JF

  2. RE: Seting up raid 0 on Asus P5WD2-E Premium?

    I can't answer those questions but you should be able to get the answers from
    the following places

    1. The mainboard docs that came with the system or downloaded from the
    manufacturers web site.
    2. Go to Tomshardware web page and see what the mb reviews were like

    Usually you have the choice of three raid levels [which is why I am
    responding]
    Raid0 - stripping without parity - no fault tolerance
    Raid1 - mirror two drives - fault tolerant
    Raid5 - stripping WITH parity -fault tolerant but needs 3 drives minimum

    You DO NOT want to do raid0. You lose one drive you lost EVERYTHING. Some
    may tell you its faster for games. NOT TRUE. I have tested this and found a
    7200rpm drive with larger cache out performed the raid0 with 5400 rpm drives.

+ Reply to Thread