W2k DFS Capabilities??? - Storage

This is a discussion on W2k DFS Capabilities??? - Storage ; I have a client with 3 sites. Site HQ has a 1GB folder that they want to replicate every evening to sites B and C. Then the users can use the files that were replicated to B and C the ...

  1. W2k DFS Capabilities???

    I have a client with 3 sites. Site HQ has a 1GB folder that they want to
    replicate every evening to sites B and C. Then the users can use the files
    that were replicated to B and C the following day instead of pulling the
    files across the WAN from HQ. Can W2k DFS do this for me. Can I create the
    DFSRoot and share the the folder to the DFSroot in HQ. Then create a
    replication set of the DFSRoot at sites B and C.

    If so does anyone have a link explaining how to set this up and information
    about how it works. Does it only transfer the files that have changed to
    lessen what goes across the WAN each night? Is there a better solution for
    this???

  2. Re: W2k DFS Capabilities???

    1) It can do this

    2) Yes, after initial replication only changed files will be copied - though
    keep in mind that it is the entire file. This changes in Win2k3R2, where
    only the changed data is replicated; and if you use the Enterprise Edition
    in the HQ then only the changed data that could not be identified on the
    remote machine is replicated.

    3) TechNet has whitepapers on setting it up & there is a DFS newsgroup that
    can get you more details.

    Pat

    "Hank" wrote in message
    >I have a client with 3 sites. Site HQ has a 1GB folder that they want to
    > replicate every evening to sites B and C. Then the users can use the
    > files
    > that were replicated to B and C the following day instead of pulling the
    > files across the WAN from HQ. Can W2k DFS do this for me. Can I create
    > the
    > DFSRoot and share the the folder to the DFSroot in HQ. Then create a
    > replication set of the DFSRoot at sites B and C.
    >
    > If so does anyone have a link explaining how to set this up and
    > information
    > about how it works. Does it only transfer the files that have changed to
    > lessen what goes across the WAN each night? Is there a better solution
    > for
    > this???

+ Reply to Thread