Do-It-Yourself iSCSI SAN? - Storage

This is a discussion on Do-It-Yourself iSCSI SAN? - Storage ; I am in the planning stages of an iSCSI SAN for backup purposes. I want to use an HP Proliant ML310 G3 Server with ONE Dual Core Pentium D 830 3Ghz processor and 2GB of RAM, MS Windows Storage Server ...

  1. Do-It-Yourself iSCSI SAN?

    I am in the planning stages of an iSCSI SAN for backup purposes. I want to
    use an HP Proliant ML310 G3 Server with ONE Dual Core Pentium D 830 3Ghz
    processor and 2GB of RAM, MS Windows Storage Server 2003 (Standard Edition)
    and MS System Center Data Protection Manager. I will install an Alacritech
    SEN2104ET 4-port TNIC and an Adaptec 2820SA RAID controller for the 6-500GB
    Seagate NL-35 Series drives for the data. The Adaptec controller (6-port)
    that came with the machine will be used for the 250GB drive with the OS. I
    will use CAT-6 cable to connect the iSCSI network. Each server connected to
    this unit will have one Alacritech SEN 2000XT 2-port TNIC connected through
    an SMC GS24 Gigabit Switch.
    One server attached to this will be an HP Proliant ML570 G3 with TWO Dual
    Core Xeon 3GHz processors and 4GB of RAM, running MS Server 2003 R2 and MS
    SQL 2000 on a mirrored SCSI RAID with a RAID 5 for the database.
    Another will be an HP Netserver LH 3000 with 2- 1GHz Pentium 3 Processors
    and 4GB of RAM running MS Server 2000 and MS Exchange 2000 with all SCSI
    drives, a mirrored RAID for the OS and RAID 5 for the data.
    The last would be an HP NAS 1200s with ONE 2.8GHz Pentium 4 processor and
    512MB of RAM running MS Server 2003 with 4-250GB IDE drives in a software
    RAID 5, partitioned for the OS and data.

    I want to backup all of the data from the NAS box and the Exchange server to
    the HP ML310 G3. I would also like "snapshots" of the SQL server at
    intervals throughout the day. our SQL DB is about 4.5GB, and I'm not sure
    how much Exchange data we have...we have about 30 users. The NAS box
    currently holds about 250GB of data. I plan on using the latest version of
    BrightStor and some of the native features in MS Storage Server and DPM.

    Does this look like it will work? Do I need TWO processors in the ML310 G3?
    Will the HP NAS 1200s do okay without two processors? Any suggestions? Can
    anybody suggest any good websites or books for advice on building a DIY
    iSCSI SAN?

  2. RE: Do-It-Yourself iSCSI SAN?

    MS Windows Storage Server 2003 is OEM only which means you can't just buy it.
    It has to come with hardware from a OEM

  3. Re: Do-It-Yourself iSCSI SAN?

    Yes...it comes with the HP Proliant ML310 G3 Data Protection Storage Server.
    DPM is also included in the package. I'm just modifying the hardware with a
    different RAID controller, hard drives, and TNIC when we get it. Sorry that
    I didn't make that very clear in my description.
    "Joshua Bolton" wrote in message
    > MS Windows Storage Server 2003 is OEM only which means you can't just buy

    it.
    > It has to come with hardware from a OEM

  4. Re: Do-It-Yourself iSCSI SAN?

    "Greg" wrote in message
    >I am in the planning stages of an iSCSI SAN for backup purposes. I want to
    > use an HP Proliant ML310 G3 Server with ONE Dual Core Pentium D 830 3Ghz
    > processor and 2GB of RAM, MS Windows Storage Server 2003 (Standard
    > Edition)
    > and MS System Center Data Protection Manager. I will install an Alacritech
    > SEN2104ET 4-port TNIC

    Maybe i'm missing something obvious, but you are going to use the ML310 as a
    iSCSI target? I don't see how you are going to make the ML310 a target -
    does the alacritech card do that?

    Regards,

    Kaj

  5. Re: Do-It-Yourself iSCSI SAN?

    Kaj,
    I'll double check that with them, and let you know...but I believe their
    cards are not just NICs, but SCSI Host adapters as well. The cards are the
    actual targets. Maybe I'm wrong, I only talked to the reps briefly, but all
    of the literature looked like you could make "any" source an initiator and a
    target.
    "Kaj S. Laursen" wrote in message

    > Maybe i'm missing something obvious, but you are going to use the ML310 as

    > iSCSI target? I don't see how you are going to make the ML310 a target -
    > does the alacritech card do that?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Kaj

  6. Re: Do-It-Yourself iSCSI SAN?

    Kaj,
    I am told that it is "Wintarget" that allows you to use SATA drives as a
    SCSI target. Miscrosoft Acquired Wintarget from String Bean Software, and
    put in Storage Server 2003 R2.
    So that should allow the HP ML310 to become an ISCSI target.

  7. Re: Do-It-Yourself iSCSI SAN?

    I've used Wintarget prior to its acquisition and integration with WSS R2.
    Good product, but found this on here also from previous post:
    http://www.openfiler.com/.

    "Greg" wrote in message
    > Kaj,
    > I am told that it is "Wintarget" that allows you to use SATA drives as a
    > SCSI target. Miscrosoft Acquired Wintarget from String Bean Software, and
    > put in Storage Server 2003 R2.
    > So that should allow the HP ML310 to become an ISCSI target.

  8. Re: Do-It-Yourself iSCSI SAN?

    "Greg" wrote in message
    > Kaj,
    > I am told that it is "Wintarget" that allows you to use SATA drives as a
    > SCSI target. Miscrosoft Acquired Wintarget from String Bean Software, and
    > put in Storage Server 2003 R2.
    > So that should allow the HP ML310 to become an ISCSI target.

    Ok, but I don't think that add-on to R2 is released yet, is it?

    Kaj

  9. Re: Do-It-Yourself iSCSI SAN?

    This is like pulling teeth, isn't it?
    I've got a call in with an HP Service Provider who is checking to see if
    "Wintarget" is included in the version of Storage Server that comes on the
    machine or not. Regardless of that...HP offers an "iSCSI Feature Pack" that
    comes with all of the software needed to do the whole iSCSI thing. I've got
    him checking to see who makes that software as well, PLUS there are many
    other programs out there that do the same thing (thanks for the link JL).
    So let's just assume for now, that with everything that is available out
    there right now, that I can make any of those servers iSCSI targets.
    My original questions were:
    Do I need TWO processors on the ML310 G3?
    Will the HP NAS 1200s do okay with only ONE processor?
    And here's a new one...is there an advantage to being a target or an
    initiator? I only want to backup to the ML310 for safe storage. Should I
    make it the initiator and the other servers that it is copying from, the
    targets? Or make the ML310 the target, and the others the initiators?

    > "Greg" wrote in message
    > > Kaj,
    > > I am told that it is "Wintarget" that allows you to use SATA drives as a
    > > SCSI target. Miscrosoft Acquired Wintarget from String Bean Software,

    and
    > > put in Storage Server 2003 R2.
    > > So that should allow the HP ML310 to become an ISCSI target.

    > Ok, but I don't think that add-on to R2 is released yet, is it?
    >
    > Kaj

  10. Re: Do-It-Yourself iSCSI SAN?

    Network Computing just did a story called "How to Build an iSCSI Disk
    Array" that might be interesting for you. Here's a link:

    http://tinyurl.com/fkvp6

    If you don't trust my tiny URL here's the (really long) URL:

    http://www.networkcomputing.com/chan...leID=188700280

  11. Re: Do-It-Yourself iSCSI SAN?

    If anybody would like to play with StarWind iSCSI target for more then
    15 days (default trial period)
    or would like to unlock "commercial" features like clustering support -
    please drop me a message
    to anton@rocketdivision.com. We'd be happy to help.

    Thanks!

    Anton Kolomyeytsev

    JM wrote:
    > Network Computing just did a story called "How to Build an iSCSI Disk
    > Array" that might be interesting for you. Here's a link:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/fkvp6
    >
    > If you don't trust my tiny URL here's the (really long) URL:
    >
    > http://www.networkcomputing.com/chan...leID=188700280

+ Reply to Thread