Difference between File System Level and Block Level - Storage

This is a discussion on Difference between File System Level and Block Level - Storage ; Someone mentions the difference between SCSI and NAS is SCSI operates at Block Level while NAS is on File System Level. I am new to Storage area and would like to know in what are Block Level operation and in ...

  1. Difference between File System Level and Block Level

    Someone mentions the difference between SCSI and NAS is SCSI operates at
    Block Level while NAS is on File System Level.

    I am new to Storage area and would like to know in what are Block Level
    operation and in what situation do we use it ?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Difference between File System Level and Block Level

    http://www.snia.org/education/tutori...y_Overview.pdf

    Should help

    "Robert" wrote in message
    > Someone mentions the difference between SCSI and NAS is SCSI operates at
    > Block Level while NAS is on File System Level.
    >
    > I am new to Storage area and would like to know in what are Block Level
    > operation and in what situation do we use it ?
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: Difference between File System Level and Block Level

    Dear John,

    Thank you for the URL and I get better understanding of the difference
    between NAS & iSCSI.

    However, someone says that if using SAN, we may encounter I/O or SAN lock
    contention. It applies to the case when multiple serves accessing the same
    SAN. Can multiple servers can access the same NAS and is there any similar
    lock contention ?

    Robert

    "John Fullbright [MVP]" wrote in message
    > http://www.snia.org/education/tutori...y_Overview.pdf
    >
    > Should help
    >

    > "Robert" wrote in message
    >> Someone mentions the difference between SCSI and NAS is SCSI operates at
    >> Block Level while NAS is on File System Level.
    >>
    >> I am new to Storage area and would like to know in what are Block Level
    >> operation and in what situation do we use it ?
    >>
    >> Thanks

  4. Re: Difference between File System Level and Block Level

    NAS is a file livel protocol and implements (at least for CIFS) various
    oplock levels that control read/write access to a file, not a LUN.

    SCSI (iSCSI or FCP) is a block level protocol and access to the block device
    or LUN is controlled in a few different ways. The first is presentation,
    which consists of zoning at the switch, LUN masking at the host, ar "LUN
    security" for lack of a better term at the storage device, or any
    combination of the three. In situations where a LUN is presented to more
    than 1 server (shared bus on a LUN for examble) the SCSI RESERVE command is
    used to control which host has access to the LUN at any given time.

    "Robert" wrote in message
    > Dear John,
    >
    > Thank you for the URL and I get better understanding of the difference
    > between NAS & iSCSI.
    >
    > However, someone says that if using SAN, we may encounter I/O or SAN lock
    > contention. It applies to the case when multiple serves accessing the
    > same SAN. Can multiple servers can access the same NAS and is there any
    > similar lock contention ?
    >
    > Robert
    >
    > "John Fullbright [MVP]" wrote in message
    >> http://www.snia.org/education/tutori...y_Overview.pdf
    >>
    >> Should help
    >>

    >> "Robert" wrote in message
    >>> Someone mentions the difference between SCSI and NAS is SCSI operates at
    >>> Block Level while NAS is on File System Level.
    >>>
    >>> I am new to Storage area and would like to know in what are Block Level
    >>> operation and in what situation do we use it ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

+ Reply to Thread