iSCSI drives dissappear after reboot - Storage

This is a discussion on iSCSI drives dissappear after reboot - Storage ; I have an HP DL 100 Storage Server running Windows 2003 SP1 WSS. I installed the HP iSCSI pack and created a logical drive. On another computer, Windows 2003 Standard SP1, I installed the Microsoft iSCSI initator 2.0 software. I ...

  1. iSCSI drives dissappear after reboot

    I have an HP DL 100 Storage Server running Windows 2003 SP1 WSS. I installed
    the HP iSCSI pack and created a logical drive.

    On another computer, Windows 2003 Standard SP1, I installed the Microsoft
    iSCSI initator 2.0 software. I connected to my NAS server using the initator
    software. This is my Exchange 2003 server.

    I went back to my NAS server and added the host and assigned the drives to
    this host.

    Back on the Exchange 2003 server, using the iSCSI software and was able to
    create a persistant connection to the drives. I checked the box to
    automatically connect at startup. Also the last tab (dont have it in front
    of me) but I added both drive letters to the NAS (bind).

    I then formatted the drives from this exchange server and all looks good.
    Then I reboot, and when it comes up the drives are missing. I have to go
    into Disk Management where it shows the drives missing, and I right click to
    reattach the drives.

    I found a single tech note to try adding the iSCSI service to be required to
    start for the Server service. This didnt help at all.

    Another anomoly, is I even tried creating a local iSCSI logical drive and
    mount it local to the NAS. Same thing, reboot, and its gone!

  2. Re: iSCSI drives dissappear after reboot

    The system eventlog is going to have some interesting information about what
    is happening when the system boots. Since you say the drives show up in
    Disk management and you need to reattach the drives, I am guessing that you
    formatted them to dynamic disks. or are you reattaching with the iSCSI gui ?
    If you've formatted them to be dynamic disks then this is the result I would
    expect and you will want to use basic disks instead.

    "Paul" wrote in message
    >I have an HP DL 100 Storage Server running Windows 2003 SP1 WSS. I
    >installed
    > the HP iSCSI pack and created a logical drive.
    >
    > On another computer, Windows 2003 Standard SP1, I installed the Microsoft
    > iSCSI initator 2.0 software. I connected to my NAS server using the
    > initator
    > software. This is my Exchange 2003 server.
    >
    > I went back to my NAS server and added the host and assigned the drives to
    > this host.
    >
    > Back on the Exchange 2003 server, using the iSCSI software and was able to
    > create a persistant connection to the drives. I checked the box to
    > automatically connect at startup. Also the last tab (dont have it in
    > front
    > of me) but I added both drive letters to the NAS (bind).
    >
    > I then formatted the drives from this exchange server and all looks good.
    > Then I reboot, and when it comes up the drives are missing. I have to go
    > into Disk Management where it shows the drives missing, and I right click
    > reattach the drives.
    >
    > I found a single tech note to try adding the iSCSI service to be required
    > start for the Server service. This didnt help at all.
    >
    > Another anomoly, is I even tried creating a local iSCSI logical drive and
    > mount it local to the NAS. Same thing, reboot, and its gone!

  3. Re: iSCSI drives dissappear after reboot

    Thanks Alan - actually after a bunch of searching I found some small tidbit
    about not converting to dynamic disks. I will put them back as Basic and
    hopefully that will solve the problem. Maybe I am looking in strange places,
    but I couldnt find this simple info anywhere in the iSCSI initiator
    documentation nor my WSS server documentation. Thanks for your quick
    response!!

    "Alan Warwick [MSFT]" wrote:

    > The system eventlog is going to have some interesting information about what
    > is happening when the system boots. Since you say the drives show up in
    > Disk management and you need to reattach the drives, I am guessing that you
    > formatted them to dynamic disks. or are you reattaching with the iSCSI gui ?
    > If you've formatted them to be dynamic disks then this is the result I would
    > expect and you will want to use basic disks instead.
    >
    > --
    > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    >

    > "Paul" wrote in message
    > >I have an HP DL 100 Storage Server running Windows 2003 SP1 WSS. I
    > >installed
    > > the HP iSCSI pack and created a logical drive.
    > >
    > > On another computer, Windows 2003 Standard SP1, I installed the Microsoft
    > > iSCSI initator 2.0 software. I connected to my NAS server using the
    > > initator
    > > software. This is my Exchange 2003 server.
    > >
    > > I went back to my NAS server and added the host and assigned the drives to
    > > this host.
    > >
    > > Back on the Exchange 2003 server, using the iSCSI software and was able to
    > > create a persistant connection to the drives. I checked the box to
    > > automatically connect at startup. Also the last tab (dont have it in
    > > front
    > > of me) but I added both drive letters to the NAS (bind).
    > >
    > > I then formatted the drives from this exchange server and all looks good.
    > > Then I reboot, and when it comes up the drives are missing. I have to go
    > > into Disk Management where it shows the drives missing, and I right click
    > > reattach the drives.
    > >
    > > I found a single tech note to try adding the iSCSI service to be required
    > > start for the Server service. This didnt help at all.
    > >
    > > Another anomoly, is I even tried creating a local iSCSI logical drive and
    > > mount it local to the NAS. Same thing, reboot, and its gone!

  4. Re: iSCSI drives dissappear after reboot

    Will changing them to Basic affect the the data at all? I am having the exact
    same issue.

    "Paul" wrote:

    > Thanks Alan - actually after a bunch of searching I found some small tidbit
    > about not converting to dynamic disks. I will put them back as Basic and
    > hopefully that will solve the problem. Maybe I am looking in strange places,
    > but I couldnt find this simple info anywhere in the iSCSI initiator
    > documentation nor my WSS server documentation. Thanks for your quick
    > response!!
    >
    > "Alan Warwick [MSFT]" wrote:
    >
    > > The system eventlog is going to have some interesting information about what
    > > is happening when the system boots. Since you say the drives show up in
    > > Disk management and you need to reattach the drives, I am guessing that you
    > > formatted them to dynamic disks. or are you reattaching with the iSCSI gui ?
    > > If you've formatted them to be dynamic disks then this is the result I would
    > > expect and you will want to use basic disks instead.
    > >
    > > --
    > > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > >

    > > "Paul" wrote in message
    > > >I have an HP DL 100 Storage Server running Windows 2003 SP1 WSS. I
    > > >installed
    > > > the HP iSCSI pack and created a logical drive.
    > > >
    > > > On another computer, Windows 2003 Standard SP1, I installed the Microsoft
    > > > iSCSI initator 2.0 software. I connected to my NAS server using the
    > > > initator
    > > > software. This is my Exchange 2003 server.
    > > >
    > > > I went back to my NAS server and added the host and assigned the drives to
    > > > this host.
    > > >
    > > > Back on the Exchange 2003 server, using the iSCSI software and was able to
    > > > create a persistant connection to the drives. I checked the box to
    > > > automatically connect at startup. Also the last tab (dont have it in
    > > > front
    > > > of me) but I added both drive letters to the NAS (bind).
    > > >
    > > > I then formatted the drives from this exchange server and all looks good.
    > > > Then I reboot, and when it comes up the drives are missing. I have to go
    > > > into Disk Management where it shows the drives missing, and I right click
    > > > reattach the drives.
    > > >
    > > > I found a single tech note to try adding the iSCSI service to be required
    > > > start for the Server service. This didnt help at all.
    > > >
    > > > Another anomoly, is I even tried creating a local iSCSI logical drive and
    > > > mount it local to the NAS. Same thing, reboot, and its gone!

  5. Re: iSCSI drives dissappear after reboot

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870964/en-us

+ Reply to Thread