The problem is that I cannot copy files from my USB SD card reader to a USB
hard drive, but they copy fine to an internal hard drive. When copying to a
USB drive, I get an error saying that the parameter is incorrect. Many other
people have this same problem.

Windows picture viewer can read all files fine, so there's nothing wrong
with the pictures on the card or the card itself. Oddly, once the images
have been opened with windows picture and fax viewer directly on the card
reader, i can *sometimes* copy them one at a time directly to the usb hard
drive.