file storage management processes - Storage

This is a discussion on file storage management processes - Storage ; Our company is looking into ways to control the out-of-control disk usage on our file servers. In the past, we have been reactive in that as free disk space decreases we do our manual cleanups and ask users to do ...

  1. file storage management processes

    Our company is looking into ways to control the out-of-control disk
    usage on our file servers. In the past, we have been reactive in that
    as free disk space decreases we do our manual cleanups and ask users to
    do the same. Unfortunately, those requests to users often falls on
    deaf ears. We've talked about using disk quotas but we couldn't get
    buy in from our executives. However, now we are getting some support
    in that area. Our executives would like us to make recommendations to
    as to the type of policies and quotas we'd like to implement.

    My question is this ... can anyone out there share with me what they do
    in their enterprise to control disk usage? Do you use quotas? If so,
    what kind of limits do you impose and do you give certain users more
    disk, etc? I think I also read that Windows 2003 R2 has more
    granularity when it comes to implementing quotas on a directory level
    instead of partition level. I require similar recommendations
    regarding storage on our mail servers.

    Anything anyone can share would be greatly appreciated!

  2. Re: file storage management processes

    There are several things you can do:

    1) With R2 you can implement folder level quotas.
    2) R2 also adds the ability to identify high usage by its built in reporting
    mechanisms
    3) If you go with Windows Storage Server R2, it includes Single Instance
    Storage which will only store 1 copy of a file on a given volume (much as
    Exchage does with attachments).

    Pat

    wrote in message
    news:1136858483.504468.112010@g49g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Our company is looking into ways to control the out-of-control disk
    > usage on our file servers. In the past, we have been reactive in that
    > as free disk space decreases we do our manual cleanups and ask users to
    > do the same. Unfortunately, those requests to users often falls on
    > deaf ears. We've talked about using disk quotas but we couldn't get
    > buy in from our executives. However, now we are getting some support
    > in that area. Our executives would like us to make recommendations to
    > as to the type of policies and quotas we'd like to implement.
    >
    > My question is this ... can anyone out there share with me what they do
    > in their enterprise to control disk usage? Do you use quotas? If so,
    > what kind of limits do you impose and do you give certain users more
    > disk, etc? I think I also read that Windows 2003 R2 has more
    > granularity when it comes to implementing quotas on a directory level
    > instead of partition level. I require similar recommendations
    > regarding storage on our mail servers.
    >
    > Anything anyone can share would be greatly appreciated!

+ Reply to Thread