migrating OS from old hard drive to a new one - Storage

This is a discussion on migrating OS from old hard drive to a new one - Storage ; I want to increase my hard drive storage capability (currently have about 30 GBytes, and have ordered a new, 120 GByte drive). So, my question is can I move my operating system from the old hard drive to the new ...

  1. migrating OS from old hard drive to a new one

    I want to increase my hard drive storage capability (currently have about 30
    GBytes, and have ordered a new, 120 GByte drive). So, my question is can I
    move my operating system from the old hard drive to the new one? If so, how?
    do I have to install my Windows XP to the new hard drive, and then try to
    use Windows File and Settings Transfer Wizard to move all my data? Or, can I
    somehow just put a new hard drive into the system as a slave, and then, move
    everything?

  2. Re: migrating OS from old hard drive to a new one

    There are many ways you can accomplish this, such as using Norton Ghost to
    clone your original drive on to the other. However I would take the time
    and install a new version of XP on the system, and then migrate your data
    from the old drive onto the new drive. You can either use the file and
    settings transfer wizard, or just a straight copy of your documents. While
    there is a lot more work involved with installing a new copy of Windows, you
    can insure there is nothing there that you no longer need.

    Eric Bursley
    eric at bursley dot net

    "jdocop" wrote in message
    >I want to increase my hard drive storage capability (currently have about
    >30
    > GBytes, and have ordered a new, 120 GByte drive). So, my question is can
    > move my operating system from the old hard drive to the new one? If so,
    > how?
    > do I have to install my Windows XP to the new hard drive, and then try to
    > use Windows File and Settings Transfer Wizard to move all my data? Or,
    > can I
    > somehow just put a new hard drive into the system as a slave, and then,
    > move
    > everything?

  3. Re: migrating OS from old hard drive to a new one

    Somehow, I knew I would get this answer. Very time consuming, especially
    when I consdier that my version of Windows XP OS is an upgrade, and will not
    install directly from the CD to a hard drive. I will have to first install
    my old Windows '98, then upgrade, then convert from FAT 43, to NTFS, then
    upgrade the XP, then re-install all of my drivers for my various hardware,
    and so on, and so on....well, I asked for it, I guess....thanks, Eric. I'll
    let you know how it goes.....in a few weeks.....

    "Eric Bursley" wrote:

    > There are many ways you can accomplish this, such as using Norton Ghost to
    > clone your original drive on to the other. However I would take the time
    > and install a new version of XP on the system, and then migrate your data
    > from the old drive onto the new drive. You can either use the file and
    > settings transfer wizard, or just a straight copy of your documents. While
    > there is a lot more work involved with installing a new copy of Windows, you
    > can insure there is nothing there that you no longer need.
    >

    > Eric Bursley
    > eric at bursley dot net
    >
    > "jdocop" wrote in message
    > >I want to increase my hard drive storage capability (currently have about
    > >30
    > > GBytes, and have ordered a new, 120 GByte drive). So, my question is can
    > > move my operating system from the old hard drive to the new one? If so,
    > > how?
    > > do I have to install my Windows XP to the new hard drive, and then try to
    > > use Windows File and Settings Transfer Wizard to move all my data? Or,
    > > can I
    > > somehow just put a new hard drive into the system as a slave, and then,
    > > move
    > > everything?

  4. Re: migrating OS from old hard drive to a new one

    I believe you can install directly using the XP upgrade CD. It should
    prompt you for the original media that you are upgrading from. You may want
    to give that a shot before going through an entire upgrade process again.

    Eric Bursley
    eric at bursley dot net
    "jdocop" wrote in message
    > Somehow, I knew I would get this answer. Very time consuming, especially
    > when I consdier that my version of Windows XP OS is an upgrade, and will
    > not
    > install directly from the CD to a hard drive. I will have to first
    > install
    > my old Windows '98, then upgrade, then convert from FAT 43, to NTFS, then
    > upgrade the XP, then re-install all of my drivers for my various hardware,
    > and so on, and so on....well, I asked for it, I guess....thanks, Eric.
    > I'll
    > let you know how it goes.....in a few weeks.....
    >
    > "Eric Bursley" wrote:
    >
    >> There are many ways you can accomplish this, such as using Norton Ghost
    >> clone your original drive on to the other. However I would take the time
    >> and install a new version of XP on the system, and then migrate your data
    >> from the old drive onto the new drive. You can either use the file and
    >> settings transfer wizard, or just a straight copy of your documents.
    >> While
    >> there is a lot more work involved with installing a new copy of Windows,
    >> you
    >> can insure there is nothing there that you no longer need.
    >>

    >> Eric Bursley
    >> eric at bursley dot net
    >>
    >> "jdocop" wrote in message
    >> >I want to increase my hard drive storage capability (currently have
    >> >about
    >> >30
    >> > GBytes, and have ordered a new, 120 GByte drive). So, my question is
    >> > can
    >> > move my operating system from the old hard drive to the new one? If
    >> > so,
    >> > how?
    >> > do I have to install my Windows XP to the new hard drive, and then try
    >> > use Windows File and Settings Transfer Wizard to move all my data? Or,
    >> > can I
    >> > somehow just put a new hard drive into the system as a slave, and then,
    >> > move
    >> > everything?

  5. Re: migrating OS from old hard drive to a new one

    OK....so, boot to floppy (the only one that I have for this anymore is an old
    (I think) Windows ME start up disk). install CD driver. Insert Windows XP
    disk, and try to get it to do a full install. I will give it a try. Thanks,
    again, Eric.

    "Eric Bursley" wrote:

    > I believe you can install directly using the XP upgrade CD. It should
    > prompt you for the original media that you are upgrading from. You may want
    > to give that a shot before going through an entire upgrade process again.
    >

    > Eric Bursley
    > eric at bursley dot net
    > "jdocop" wrote in message
    > > Somehow, I knew I would get this answer. Very time consuming, especially
    > > when I consdier that my version of Windows XP OS is an upgrade, and will
    > > not
    > > install directly from the CD to a hard drive. I will have to first
    > > install
    > > my old Windows '98, then upgrade, then convert from FAT 43, to NTFS, then
    > > upgrade the XP, then re-install all of my drivers for my various hardware,
    > > and so on, and so on....well, I asked for it, I guess....thanks, Eric.
    > > I'll
    > > let you know how it goes.....in a few weeks.....
    > >
    > > "Eric Bursley" wrote:
    > >
    > >> There are many ways you can accomplish this, such as using Norton Ghost
    > >> clone your original drive on to the other. However I would take the time
    > >> and install a new version of XP on the system, and then migrate your data
    > >> from the old drive onto the new drive. You can either use the file and
    > >> settings transfer wizard, or just a straight copy of your documents.
    > >> While
    > >> there is a lot more work involved with installing a new copy of Windows,
    > >> you
    > >> can insure there is nothing there that you no longer need.
    > >>

    > >> Eric Bursley
    > >> eric at bursley dot net
    > >>
    > >> "jdocop" wrote in message

  6. Re: migrating OS from old hard drive to a new one

    One thing you could try first is booting from the Floppy and copying everything
    from (old_drive) to (new_drive). Booting from the floppy will make sure
    that no source files are locked. If this does not work your can format the
    (new_drive) and run through the OS install.

    Here are the steps to follow - remember keep your (Old_drive) safe as this
    is the only copy of your data. Unless you backup

    1) Connect both drives to the computer
    2) Boot from floppy
    3) Fdisk to create partitions on new drive
    4) xcopy *.* + subdirectories from (old_drive) to (new_drive)
    5) Power off
    6) Disconnect old drive
    7) Turn it on and pray
    8) You may need to use fdisk to mark the new partition active
    9) FYI - You will most likely change time stamps on all files

    If you can't get this to work just put the old drive back in the PC

    BTW - You can buy a brand new PC with 250GB of disk space for about $300
    (OS installed and running)

    Hello jdocop,

    > OK....so, boot to floppy (the only one that I have for this anymore is
    > an old (I think) Windows ME start up disk). install CD driver.
    > Insert Windows XP disk, and try to get it to do a full install. I
    > will give it a try. Thanks, again, Eric.
    >
    > "Eric Bursley" wrote:
    >
    >> I believe you can install directly using the XP upgrade CD. It
    >> should prompt you for the original media that you are upgrading from.
    >> You may want to give that a shot before going through an entire
    >> upgrade process again.
    >>
    >> Eric Bursley
    >> eric at bursley dot net
    >> "jdocop" wrote in message
    >>> Somehow, I knew I would get this answer. Very time consuming,
    >>> especially
    >>> when I consdier that my version of Windows XP OS is an upgrade, and
    >>> will
    >>> not
    >>> install directly from the CD to a hard drive. I will have to first
    >>> install
    >>> my old Windows '98, then upgrade, then convert from FAT 43, to NTFS,
    >>> then
    >>> upgrade the XP, then re-install all of my drivers for my various
    >>> hardware,
    >>> and so on, and so on....well, I asked for it, I guess....thanks,
    >>> Eric.
    >>> I'll
    >>> let you know how it goes.....in a few weeks.....

  7. Re: migrating OS from old hard drive to a new one

    you know, you're right! I would most likely be better off just buying a new
    PC. Only thing is, RAM. A new one would not have as much RAM as what I
    currently run, and the new RAM is different from my old SDRAM....
    I do appreciate comments and advice from all.........

+ Reply to Thread