Windows XP Installation - Storage

This is a discussion on Windows XP Installation - Storage ; XP Windows Installer reports that there is no drive present for the Windows XP installation. When I hit F6 to respond, I'm required to locate manufactured HW drivers. The hard drive is Western Digital HDDWD 120 GB SATA (WD1200JS). Drive ...

  1. Windows XP Installation

    XP Windows Installer reports that there is no drive present for the Windows
    XP installation. When I hit F6 to respond, I'm required to locate
    manufactured HW drivers. The hard drive is Western Digital HDDWD 120 GB SATA
    (WD1200JS). Drive is recognized in BIOS but not installation. Not sure
    why. Please help with next steps to complete installation.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance for your assistance.

  2. Re: Windows XP Installation

    Typically this problem is not related to the hard drive, but to the hard
    drive controller. What type of SATA controller do you have in your system?
    Is there a special XP driver that needs to be used? If so, during the XP
    initial setup screen, it should state, press to install additional
    drivers. At that time, press , and you'll be prompted to load those
    drivers. Then XP should be able to see your hard drive.

    Eric Bursley
    eric at bursley dot net

    "Mark" wrote in message
    > XP Windows Installer reports that there is no drive present for the
    > Windows
    > XP installation. When I hit F6 to respond, I'm required to locate
    > manufactured HW drivers. The hard drive is Western Digital HDDWD 120 GB
    > SATA
    > (WD1200JS). Drive is recognized in BIOS but not installation. Not sure
    > why. Please help with next steps to complete installation.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your assistance.

  3. Re: Windows XP Installation

    Eric thanks for your response. I am helping my brother who had a blue
    screen. System was configured with Dell machine and then my brother decided
    to reinstall windows XP and is getting this message. At this point we are
    stuck. Is the contrller the mother board?

    "Eric Bursley" wrote:

    > Typically this problem is not related to the hard drive, but to the hard
    > drive controller. What type of SATA controller do you have in your system?
    > Is there a special XP driver that needs to be used? If so, during the XP
    > initial setup screen, it should state, press to install additional
    > drivers. At that time, press , and you'll be prompted to load those
    > drivers. Then XP should be able to see your hard drive.
    >

    > Eric Bursley
    > eric at bursley dot net
    >

    > "Mark" wrote in message
    > > XP Windows Installer reports that there is no drive present for the
    > > Windows
    > > XP installation. When I hit F6 to respond, I'm required to locate
    > > manufactured HW drivers. The hard drive is Western Digital HDDWD 120 GB
    > > SATA
    > > (WD1200JS). Drive is recognized in BIOS but not installation. Not sure
    > > why. Please help with next steps to complete installation.
    > >
    > > Any help would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for your assistance.

  4. Re: Windows XP Installation

    It may be an integrated drive controller. Go to the dell support web site
    http://support.dell.com/home.aspx and enter in your system service tag there
    you should find the serial ATA driver download.

    If your drive controller is not natively supported you'll want to boot the
    Windows XP CD-Rom. Then *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
    inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
    and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
    insert the manufacturer supplied Windows XP driver for your serial ATA
    controller in drive "A"

    If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
    late as Windows XP Setup at this point may have already assigned the
    resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

    --

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Mark" wrote:
    | Eric thanks for your response. I am helping my brother who had a blue
    | screen. System was configured with Dell machine and then my brother
    decided
    | to reinstall windows XP and is getting this message. At this point we are
    | stuck. Is the contrller the mother board?

  5. Re: Windows XP Installation

    Eric:

    Is it normal that hard drives are recognized during Windows XP installation
    and that drivers are not usually requested during installation? I'm
    wondering if the mother board controller is defective. Could this be
    possible?

    Thanks and I will await your response.

    Mark

    "Mark" wrote:

    > Eric thanks for your response. I am helping my brother who had a blue
    > screen. System was configured with Dell machine and then my brother decided
    > to reinstall windows XP and is getting this message. At this point we are
    > stuck. Is the controller the mother board?
    >
    > "Eric Bursley" wrote:
    >
    > > Typically this problem is not related to the hard drive, but to the hard
    > > drive controller. What type of SATA controller do you have in your system?
    > > Is there a special XP driver that needs to be used? If so, during the XP
    > > initial setup screen, it should state, press to install additional
    > > drivers. At that time, press , and you'll be prompted to load those
    > > drivers. Then XP should be able to see your hard drive.
    > >

    > > Eric Bursley
    > > eric at bursley dot net
    > >

    > > "Mark" wrote in message
    > > > XP Windows Installer reports that there is no drive present for the
    > > > Windows
    > > > XP installation. When I hit F6 to respond, I'm required to locate
    > > > manufactured HW drivers. The hard drive is Western Digital HDDWD 120 GB
    > > > SATA
    > > > (WD1200JS). Drive is recognized in BIOS but not installation. Not sure
    > > > why. Please help with next steps to complete installation.
    > > >
    > > > Any help would be appreciated.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance for your assistance.

  6. Re: Windows XP Installation

    At this time, we don't have enough information to rule out a motherboard
    problem or not. The Dell reinstall CD should have the required drivers for
    this controller, as it is a special OEM build of XP. It is normal for
    Windows not to recognize hardware it doesn't have a driver for, which is why
    Microsoft provides a way to install a driver during the installation of
    Windows. This allows for Windows to install on a system that Microsoft
    initially didn't test with.
    If you suspect a motherboard problem, Dell has a diagnostic program that can
    be downloaded. On newer systems I believe this is a CD, however it could
    also be a bunch of floppy disks.
    What type of Dell system is this?

    Eric Bursley
    eric at bursley dot net

    "Mark" wrote in message
    > Eric thanks for your response. I am helping my brother who had a blue
    > screen. System was configured with Dell machine and then my brother
    > decided
    > to reinstall windows XP and is getting this message. At this point we are
    > stuck. Is the contrller the mother board?
    >
    > "Eric Bursley" wrote:
    >
    >> Typically this problem is not related to the hard drive, but to the hard
    >> drive controller. What type of SATA controller do you have in your
    >> system?
    >> Is there a special XP driver that needs to be used? If so, during the XP
    >> initial setup screen, it should state, press to install additional
    >> drivers. At that time, press , and you'll be prompted to load those
    >> drivers. Then XP should be able to see your hard drive.
    >>

    >> Eric Bursley
    >> eric at bursley dot net
    >>

    >> "Mark" wrote in message
    >> > XP Windows Installer reports that there is no drive present for the
    >> > Windows
    >> > XP installation. When I hit F6 to respond, I'm required to locate
    >> > manufactured HW drivers. The hard drive is Western Digital HDDWD 120
    >> > GB
    >> > SATA
    >> > (WD1200JS). Drive is recognized in BIOS but not installation. Not
    >> > sure
    >> > why. Please help with next steps to complete installation.
    >> >
    >> > Any help would be appreciated.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance for your assistance.

  7. Re: Windows XP Installation

    The system likely is configured to only load with the Intel Matrix Storage
    Driver which is not "inbox". This driver is used for "native" SATA support
    on the Intel chipsets. One of two modes would be possible: RAID or AHCI
    (advanced host controller interface). Windows XP only support PATA-emulation
    with inbox drivers for Intel chipsets. So, you have two choices:

    1) Download the IASTOR driver from Dell and copy the driver package only to
    floppy and use F6. (Utilities are too big and will be installed once Windows
    is up.)
    2) Reconfigure the BIOS to set the SATA controller to PATA-emulation. Then
    the inbox ATA drivers will load. Note: not all Dell machines will give you
    access to this setting.

    The reason that Windows setup seems to work is that it uses the BIOS
    routines during the early phases. The failure comes when you get into a
    later phase where Windows itself is running.

    "Mark" wrote in message
    > Eric thanks for your response. I am helping my brother who had a blue
    > screen. System was configured with Dell machine and then my brother
    > decided
    > to reinstall windows XP and is getting this message. At this point we are
    > stuck. Is the contrller the mother board?
    >
    > "Eric Bursley" wrote:
    >
    >> Typically this problem is not related to the hard drive, but to the hard
    >> drive controller. What type of SATA controller do you have in your
    >> system?
    >> Is there a special XP driver that needs to be used? If so, during the XP
    >> initial setup screen, it should state, press to install additional
    >> drivers. At that time, press , and you'll be prompted to load those
    >> drivers. Then XP should be able to see your hard drive.
    >>

    >> Eric Bursley
    >> eric at bursley dot net
    >>

    >> "Mark" wrote in message
    >> > XP Windows Installer reports that there is no drive present for the
    >> > Windows
    >> > XP installation. When I hit F6 to respond, I'm required to locate
    >> > manufactured HW drivers. The hard drive is Western Digital HDDWD 120
    >> > GB
    >> > SATA
    >> > (WD1200JS). Drive is recognized in BIOS but not installation. Not
    >> > sure
    >> > why. Please help with next steps to complete installation.
    >> >
    >> > Any help would be appreciated.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance for your assistance.

+ Reply to Thread