can't partition c: drive - Storage

This is a discussion on can't partition c: drive - Storage ; I just installed winxp sp2 on a new computer with a 160gb drive. How can I partition it? When I go into disk management, the drive is there but I can't find a way to partition. There are only a ...

  1. can't partition c: drive

    I just installed winxp sp2 on a new computer with a 160gb drive. How can I
    partition it? When I go into disk management, the drive is there but I can't
    find a way to partition. There are only a few options available when I right
    click on the drive (open, explore, change drive letters and paths, properties
    and help). The rest are grayed out. The HELP indicates I have to right click
    on an "unallocated" portion of a basic disk, but perhaps windows allocated
    the entire drive when setting up? anyway to "unallocate" without having to
    reformat and reinstall winxp?

  2. Re: can't partition c: drive

    Sounds like the entire drive was used during setup. If so you'll need to
    start over.

    --

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Stephen" wrote:
    |I just installed winxp sp2 on a new computer with a 160gb drive. How can I
    | partition it? When I go into disk management, the drive is there but I
    can't
    | find a way to partition. There are only a few options available when I
    right
    | click on the drive (open, explore, change drive letters and paths,
    properties
    | and help). The rest are grayed out. The HELP indicates I have to right
    click
    | on an "unallocated" portion of a basic disk, but perhaps windows allocated
    | the entire drive when setting up? anyway to "unallocate" without having to
    | reformat and reinstall winxp?

  3. Re: can't partition c: drive

    But I don't recall Windows giving me a choice to partition or not!! How do I
    do that?
    Can I use some type of Utility such as Partition Magic?

    "Dave Patrick" wrote:

    > Sounds like the entire drive was used during setup. If so you'll need to
    > start over.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards,

    > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >
    > "Stephen" wrote:
    > |I just installed winxp sp2 on a new computer with a 160gb drive. How can I
    > | partition it? When I go into disk management, the drive is there but I
    > can't
    > | find a way to partition. There are only a few options available when I
    > right
    > | click on the drive (open, explore, change drive letters and paths,
    > properties
    > | and help). The rest are grayed out. The HELP indicates I have to right
    > click
    > | on an "unallocated" portion of a basic disk, but perhaps windows allocated
    > | the entire drive when setting up? anyway to "unallocate" without having to
    > | reformat and reinstall winxp?

  4. Re: can't partition c: drive

    Boot the Windows XP install CD-Rom.

    Setup inspects your computer's hardware configuration and then begins to
    install the Setup and driver files. When the Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional screen appears, press ENTER to set up Windows XP Professional.

    Read the license agreement, and then press the F8 key to accept the terms of
    the license agreement and continue the installation.

    When the Windows XP Professional Setup screen appears, all the existing
    partitions and the unpartitioned spaces are listed for each physical hard
    disk. Use the ARROW keys to select the partitions Press D to delete an
    existing partition, If you press D to delete an existing partition, you must
    then press L (or press ENTER, and then press L if it is the System
    partition) to confirm that you want to delete the partition. Repeat this
    step for each of the existing partitions When all the partitions are deleted
    press F3 to exit setup, restart the pc then when you get to this point in
    setup again select the unpartitioned space, and then press C to create a new
    partition and specify the size. Windows will by default use all available
    space.

    Yes you can use PM

    --

    "Stephen" wrote:
    | But I don't recall Windows giving me a choice to partition or not!! How
    do I
    | do that?
    | Can I use some type of Utility such as Partition Magic?

+ Reply to Thread