New Storage Server Reboots Continuously - Storage

This is a discussion on New Storage Server Reboots Continuously - Storage ; We recently installed a new Windows 2003 Storage Server from IBM into our environment and it quickly became unusable. Once we got it into our network it immediately did an update from Microsoft and ever since it just starts up ...

  1. New Storage Server Reboots Continuously

    We recently installed a new Windows 2003 Storage Server from IBM into our
    environment and it quickly became unusable. Once we got it into our network
    it immediately did an update from Microsoft and ever since it just starts up
    then restarts automatically when the logo starts the dot movement.

    If updates are not allowed on this software why did it do it automatically.
    More importantly at this point IBM is pointing to Microsoft and Microsoft is
    pointing to IBM. What do I do with with a $7500 server that cannot boot?

  2. Re: New Storage Server Reboots Continuously

    Are you able to boot the server into safe mode? If so, try disabling some
    services.
    With some vendors that use Windows Storage server, the only resolution to
    this would be a reimage.
    I do know that Dell support Window Storage Server with updates from
    Microsoft.

    Eric Bursley
    eric at bursley dot net
    Microsoft MVP
    RHCE, MCSE, BCFP, EEIE-CS, ESCE-CS
    GPG Signature: Key fingerprint = CEAE CF3A 3876 7ECE 9DA7 946F DA9F DDCA
    C392 6DCB

    "Matt" wrote in message
    > We recently installed a new Windows 2003 Storage Server from IBM into our
    > environment and it quickly became unusable. Once we got it into our
    > network it immediately did an update from Microsoft and ever since it just
    > starts up then restarts automatically when the logo starts the dot
    > movement.
    >
    > If updates are not allowed on this software why did it do it
    > automatically. More importantly at this point IBM is pointing to Microsoft
    > and Microsoft is pointing to IBM. What do I do with with a $7500 server
    > that cannot boot?

  3. Re: New Storage Server Reboots Continuously

    If you can boot into Safe Mode+Network support, check for a MEMORY.dmp file
    in the c:\winnt directory. We can use that to tell you exactly what the
    problem is - most likely a driver or HW failure.

    Pat

    "Eric Bursley [MVP]" wrote in message
    > Are you able to boot the server into safe mode? If so, try disabling some
    > services.
    > With some vendors that use Windows Storage server, the only resolution to
    > this would be a reimage.
    > I do know that Dell support Window Storage Server with updates from
    > Microsoft.
    >
    > Eric Bursley
    > eric at bursley dot net
    > Microsoft MVP
    > RHCE, MCSE, BCFP, EEIE-CS, ESCE-CS
    > GPG Signature: Key fingerprint = CEAE CF3A 3876 7ECE 9DA7 946F DA9F DDCA
    > C392 6DCB
    >

    > "Matt" wrote in message
    >> We recently installed a new Windows 2003 Storage Server from IBM into our
    >> environment and it quickly became unusable. Once we got it into our
    >> network it immediately did an update from Microsoft and ever since it
    >> just starts up then restarts automatically when the logo starts the dot
    >> movement.
    >>
    >> If updates are not allowed on this software why did it do it
    >> automatically. More importantly at this point IBM is pointing to
    >> Microsoft and Microsoft is pointing to IBM. What do I do with with a
    >> $7500 server that cannot boot?

  4. Re: New Storage Server Reboots Continuously

    We can get to the SAFE MODE menu but as soon as the boot process continues
    it too just causes a reboot. This has become very frustrating as the
    situation occurred out of the box and IBM wants us to pay for software
    support on something that has not worked.

    Does anyone know if we can get free support from Microsoft since this setup
    is a partnership between them?

    "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    > If you can boot into Safe Mode+Network support, check for a MEMORY.dmp
    > file in the c:\winnt directory. We can use that to tell you exactly what
    > the problem is - most likely a driver or HW failure.
    >
    > Pat
    >
    > "Eric Bursley [MVP]" wrote in message
    >> Are you able to boot the server into safe mode? If so, try disabling
    >> some services.
    >> With some vendors that use Windows Storage server, the only resolution to
    >> this would be a reimage.
    >> I do know that Dell support Window Storage Server with updates from
    >> Microsoft.
    >>
    >> Eric Bursley
    >> eric at bursley dot net
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> RHCE, MCSE, BCFP, EEIE-CS, ESCE-CS
    >> GPG Signature: Key fingerprint = CEAE CF3A 3876 7ECE 9DA7 946F DA9F DDCA
    >> C392 6DCB
    >>

    >> "Matt" wrote in message
    >>> We recently installed a new Windows 2003 Storage Server from IBM into
    >>> our environment and it quickly became unusable. Once we got it into our
    >>> network it immediately did an update from Microsoft and ever since it
    >>> just starts up then restarts automatically when the logo starts the dot
    >>> movement.
    >>>
    >>> If updates are not allowed on this software why did it do it
    >>> automatically. More importantly at this point IBM is pointing to
    >>> Microsoft and Microsoft is pointing to IBM. What do I do with with a
    >>> $7500 server that cannot boot?

  5. Re: New Storage Server Reboots Continuously

    How does IBM perform a system reinstall? Do they use a reimage disk, or is
    there a Windows Server CD that is used? The reason why I'm asking is if you
    have the Windows Server CD, you can perform a parallel install, or recovery
    console to try and stop services from starting or to check to see if there
    is a memory dump.
    If you are getting a Memory dump, I can perform a quick analysis that may
    point us to either a software problem or possible bad hardware.

    If this is just a new system, you can also try just a reinstall using the
    IBM software and see if the problem was just a bad factory download.

    Eric Bursley
    eric at bursley dot net

    "Matt" wrote in message
    > We can get to the SAFE MODE menu but as soon as the boot process continues
    > it too just causes a reboot. This has become very frustrating as the
    > situation occurred out of the box and IBM wants us to pay for software
    > support on something that has not worked.
    >
    > Does anyone know if we can get free support from Microsoft since this
    > setup is a partnership between them?
    >

    > "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    >> If you can boot into Safe Mode+Network support, check for a MEMORY.dmp
    >> file in the c:\winnt directory. We can use that to tell you exactly what
    >> the problem is - most likely a driver or HW failure.
    >>
    >> Pat
    >>
    >> "Eric Bursley [MVP]" wrote in message
    >>> Are you able to boot the server into safe mode? If so, try disabling
    >>> some services.
    >>> With some vendors that use Windows Storage server, the only resolution
    >>> to this would be a reimage.
    >>> I do know that Dell support Window Storage Server with updates from
    >>> Microsoft.
    >>>
    >>> Eric Bursley
    >>> eric at bursley dot net
    >>> Microsoft MVP
    >>> RHCE, MCSE, BCFP, EEIE-CS, ESCE-CS
    >>> GPG Signature: Key fingerprint = CEAE CF3A 3876 7ECE 9DA7 946F DA9F DDCA
    >>> C392 6DCB
    >>>

    >>> "Matt" wrote in message

  6. Re: New Storage Server Reboots Continuously

    You can call MS and if it is a bug in the MS software (i.e. not HW or an IBM
    supplied driver) the support incident charge will be refunded. If there is
    a MEMORY.DMP file created, I can take a look at it before you open a support
    case and give you an idea of where the problem is.

    Pat

    "Matt" wrote in message
    > We can get to the SAFE MODE menu but as soon as the boot process continues
    > it too just causes a reboot. This has become very frustrating as the
    > situation occurred out of the box and IBM wants us to pay for software
    > support on something that has not worked.
    >
    > Does anyone know if we can get free support from Microsoft since this
    > setup is a partnership between them?
    >

    > "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    >> If you can boot into Safe Mode+Network support, check for a MEMORY.dmp
    >> file in the c:\winnt directory. We can use that to tell you exactly what
    >> the problem is - most likely a driver or HW failure.
    >>
    >> Pat
    >>
    >> "Eric Bursley [MVP]" wrote in message
    >>> Are you able to boot the server into safe mode? If so, try disabling
    >>> some services.
    >>> With some vendors that use Windows Storage server, the only resolution
    >>> to this would be a reimage.
    >>> I do know that Dell support Window Storage Server with updates from
    >>> Microsoft.
    >>>
    >>> Eric Bursley
    >>> eric at bursley dot net
    >>> Microsoft MVP
    >>> RHCE, MCSE, BCFP, EEIE-CS, ESCE-CS
    >>> GPG Signature: Key fingerprint = CEAE CF3A 3876 7ECE 9DA7 946F DA9F DDCA
    >>> C392 6DCB
    >>>

    >>> "Matt" wrote in message

+ Reply to Thread