Setting up MPIO - Storage

This is a discussion on Setting up MPIO - Storage ; Hi Everybody, I'm a newbie to MPIO. My setup includes a MS initiator talking to an iSCSI Target, and the initiator system has two NICs. I'm trying to setup multi-path between the initiator and the target. The MS Initiator GUI ...

  1. Setting up MPIO

    Hi Everybody,

    I'm a newbie to MPIO. My setup includes a MS initiator talking to an iSCSI
    Target, and the initiator system has two NICs. I'm trying to setup multi-path
    between the initiator and the target.

    The MS Initiator GUI says the the "Enable multi-path" has to be enabled only
    if iSCSI multipath software is installed on the system. Where do I get this
    software from?

    Also, does the target need to have multi-path capability enabled?

    Any suggestions on how to go about this are appreciated. Thanks ...

  2. Re: Setting up MPIO

    When you install iSCSI 2.0, you have an option to also install MPIO support
    (it's not the default). You will need a target that supports the included
    "device specific module" - not all do. In that case, the target vendor needs
    to provide you with a DSM for their target.

    The iSCSI initiator package ships with a users guide, that should be your
    first resource. MPIO setup is discussed there.

    "sbs" wrote in message
    > Hi Everybody,
    >
    > I'm a newbie to MPIO. My setup includes a MS initiator talking to an iSCSI
    > Target, and the initiator system has two NICs. I'm trying to setup
    > multi-path
    > between the initiator and the target.
    >
    > The MS Initiator GUI says the the "Enable multi-path" has to be enabled
    > only
    > if iSCSI multipath software is installed on the system. Where do I get
    > this
    > software from?
    >
    > Also, does the target need to have multi-path capability enabled?
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to go about this are appreciated. Thanks ...

  3. Re: Setting up MPIO

    Hi Jeff,

    Thanks for the reply.

    Since I want to setup MPIO with the soft initiator running over the NICs and
    not an ISCSI HBA, we dont need a DSM on the Initiator end, but just the MPIO
    module, right? And as you said, it comes with the MS Init 2.0, but when I try
    to install the iSCSI Init 2.0, the option for installing MPIO support is
    disabled. Do I need to have some license to have that option available? How
    can I get that?

    I did look into the MS init 2.0 before, as far as I remember, it only
    explains what MPIO or MCS is, but not exactly about the software required or
    the setup. I'll take another look into it.

    Thanks once again ..

    "Jeff Goldner [MS]" wrote:

    > When you install iSCSI 2.0, you have an option to also install MPIO support
    > (it's not the default). You will need a target that supports the included
    > "device specific module" - not all do. In that case, the target vendor needs
    > to provide you with a DSM for their target.
    >
    > The iSCSI initiator package ships with a users guide, that should be your
    > first resource. MPIO setup is discussed there.
    >
    > "sbs" wrote in message
    > > Hi Everybody,
    > >
    > > I'm a newbie to MPIO. My setup includes a MS initiator talking to an iSCSI
    > > Target, and the initiator system has two NICs. I'm trying to setup
    > > multi-path
    > > between the initiator and the target.
    > >
    > > The MS Initiator GUI says the the "Enable multi-path" has to be enabled
    > > only
    > > if iSCSI multipath software is installed on the system. Where do I get
    > > this
    > > software from?
    > >
    > > Also, does the target need to have multi-path capability enabled?
    > >
    > > Any suggestions on how to go about this are appreciated. Thanks ...

  4. Re: Setting up MPIO

    MPIO consists of three drivers and a DSM. We ship all of this with iSCSI 2.0
    but the DSM is not guaranteed to work with all targets - hopefully you have
    a logoed target. Some will require a unique DSM provided by the vendor to
    get the full benefit of multipathing. Also, if your target supports MCS,
    that is a simpler approach when used with NICs (not HBAs).

    I'm not sure why this is showing disabled when you try to install, I'll
    check into that. No extra licenses are required.

    "sbs" wrote in message
    > Hi Jeff,
    >
    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > Since I want to setup MPIO with the soft initiator running over the NICs
    > and
    > not an ISCSI HBA, we dont need a DSM on the Initiator end, but just the
    > MPIO
    > module, right? And as you said, it comes with the MS Init 2.0, but when I
    > try
    > to install the iSCSI Init 2.0, the option for installing MPIO support is
    > disabled. Do I need to have some license to have that option available?
    > How
    > can I get that?
    >
    > I did look into the MS init 2.0 before, as far as I remember, it only
    > explains what MPIO or MCS is, but not exactly about the software required
    > or
    > the setup. I'll take another look into it.
    >
    > Thanks once again ..
    >
    > "Jeff Goldner [MS]" wrote:
    >
    >> When you install iSCSI 2.0, you have an option to also install MPIO
    >> support
    >> (it's not the default). You will need a target that supports the included
    >> "device specific module" - not all do. In that case, the target vendor
    >> needs
    >> to provide you with a DSM for their target.
    >>
    >> The iSCSI initiator package ships with a users guide, that should be your
    >> first resource. MPIO setup is discussed there.
    >>
    >> "sbs" wrote in message
    >> > Hi Everybody,
    >> >
    >> > I'm a newbie to MPIO. My setup includes a MS initiator talking to an
    >> > iSCSI
    >> > Target, and the initiator system has two NICs. I'm trying to setup
    >> > multi-path
    >> > between the initiator and the target.
    >> >
    >> > The MS Initiator GUI says the the "Enable multi-path" has to be enabled
    >> > only
    >> > if iSCSI multipath software is installed on the system. Where do I get
    >> > this
    >> > software from?
    >> >
    >> > Also, does the target need to have multi-path capability enabled?
    >> >
    >> > Any suggestions on how to go about this are appreciated. Thanks ...

  5. Re: Setting up MPIO

    Jeff,

    I figured out why the option for installing MPIO is disabled. This is
    probably because I was trying to install it on a WinXP box. It installed fine
    on a Windows 2003 server.

    I have switched to a EMC AX100SCi Target which I think is logoed. It
    probably supports MCS too (I have to check) but I do want to try MPIO
    specifically.

    Now after installing MPIO, the devices are displayed as MPIO capable, and I
    do see a GUI for configuring MPIO in the device details page of the MS
    initiator. It shows one path to the target. Can you tell me how how I can add
    an additional path to the target so that when I pull out the cable from one
    NIC, the connection can be reinstated over the other NIC? Both the NICs that
    I have on the system are on the same subnet as the target.

    Thanks ....

    "Jeff Goldner [MS]" wrote:

    > MPIO consists of three drivers and a DSM. We ship all of this with iSCSI 2.0
    > but the DSM is not guaranteed to work with all targets - hopefully you have
    > a logoed target. Some will require a unique DSM provided by the vendor to
    > get the full benefit of multipathing. Also, if your target supports MCS,
    > that is a simpler approach when used with NICs (not HBAs).
    >
    > I'm not sure why this is showing disabled when you try to install, I'll
    > check into that. No extra licenses are required.
    >
    > "sbs" wrote in message
    > > Hi Jeff,
    > >
    > > Thanks for the reply.
    > >
    > > Since I want to setup MPIO with the soft initiator running over the NICs
    > > and
    > > not an ISCSI HBA, we dont need a DSM on the Initiator end, but just the
    > > MPIO
    > > module, right? And as you said, it comes with the MS Init 2.0, but when I
    > > try
    > > to install the iSCSI Init 2.0, the option for installing MPIO support is
    > > disabled. Do I need to have some license to have that option available?
    > > How
    > > can I get that?
    > >
    > > I did look into the MS init 2.0 before, as far as I remember, it only
    > > explains what MPIO or MCS is, but not exactly about the software required
    > > or
    > > the setup. I'll take another look into it.
    > >
    > > Thanks once again ..
    > >
    > > "Jeff Goldner [MS]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> When you install iSCSI 2.0, you have an option to also install MPIO
    > >> support
    > >> (it's not the default). You will need a target that supports the included
    > >> "device specific module" - not all do. In that case, the target vendor
    > >> needs
    > >> to provide you with a DSM for their target.
    > >>
    > >> The iSCSI initiator package ships with a users guide, that should be your
    > >> first resource. MPIO setup is discussed there.
    > >>
    > >> "sbs" wrote in message

  6. Re: Setting up MPIO

    Sorry, I should have figured out the issue with XP

    For AX100, you should use PowerPath 1.1 which I believe ships with the
    array. This requires a vendor-supplied DSM (included in 1.1) and their
    instructions.

    "sbs" wrote in message
    > Jeff,
    >
    > I figured out why the option for installing MPIO is disabled. This is
    > probably because I was trying to install it on a WinXP box. It installed
    > fine
    > on a Windows 2003 server.
    >
    > I have switched to a EMC AX100SCi Target which I think is logoed. It
    > probably supports MCS too (I have to check) but I do want to try MPIO
    > specifically.
    >
    > Now after installing MPIO, the devices are displayed as MPIO capable, and
    > do see a GUI for configuring MPIO in the device details page of the MS
    > initiator. It shows one path to the target. Can you tell me how how I can
    > add
    > an additional path to the target so that when I pull out the cable from
    > one
    > NIC, the connection can be reinstated over the other NIC? Both the NICs
    > that
    > I have on the system are on the same subnet as the target.
    >
    > Thanks ....
    >

    > "Jeff Goldner [MS]" wrote:
    >
    >> MPIO consists of three drivers and a DSM. We ship all of this with iSCSI
    >> 2.0
    >> but the DSM is not guaranteed to work with all targets - hopefully you
    >> have
    >> a logoed target. Some will require a unique DSM provided by the vendor to
    >> get the full benefit of multipathing. Also, if your target supports MCS,
    >> that is a simpler approach when used with NICs (not HBAs).
    >>
    >> I'm not sure why this is showing disabled when you try to install, I'll
    >> check into that. No extra licenses are required.
    >>
    >> "sbs" wrote in message
    >> > Hi Jeff,
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for the reply.
    >> >
    >> > Since I want to setup MPIO with the soft initiator running over the
    >> > NICs
    >> > and
    >> > not an ISCSI HBA, we dont need a DSM on the Initiator end, but just the
    >> > MPIO
    >> > module, right? And as you said, it comes with the MS Init 2.0, but when
    >> > try
    >> > to install the iSCSI Init 2.0, the option for installing MPIO support
    >> > is
    >> > disabled. Do I need to have some license to have that option available?
    >> > How
    >> > can I get that?
    >> >
    >> > I did look into the MS init 2.0 before, as far as I remember, it only
    >> > explains what MPIO or MCS is, but not exactly about the software
    >> > required
    >> > or
    >> > the setup. I'll take another look into it.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks once again ..

  7. Re: Setting up MPIO

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:37:04 -0700, sbs wrote:

    > Jeff,
    >
    > I figured out why the option for installing MPIO is disabled. This is
    > probably because I was trying to install it on a WinXP box. It installed fine
    > on a Windows 2003 server.
    >
    > I have switched to a EMC AX100SCi Target which I think is logoed. It
    > probably supports MCS too (I have to check) but I do want to try MPIO
    > specifically.
    >
    > Now after installing MPIO, the devices are displayed as MPIO capable, and I
    > do see a GUI for configuring MPIO in the device details page of the MS
    > initiator. It shows one path to the target. Can you tell me how how I can add
    > an additional path to the target so that when I pull out the cable from one
    > NIC, the connection can be reinstated over the other NIC? Both the NICs that
    > I have on the system are on the same subnet as the target.

    When you want to use multipath on iSCSI you should make sure that the 2
    nics are in different subnets. So your SPA and SPB should also in
    different subnets. You have to create a subnet for every path that leads
    to your iSCSI San.

    Jan Hugo Prins

  8. Re: Setting up MPIO

    The AX100 as well as all Clariion devices are active / passive devices.
    Which means a lun owned by SPA can not be access by SPB unless the lun is
    trespassed to SPB. Then the lun could be access by SPB, but not SPA. With
    the AX100i, there is 1 NIC port per SP, therefore you can implement failover
    between SP's, but not load balance.

    Eric Bursley
    eric at bursley dot net
    Microsoft MVP
    RHCE, MCSE, BCFP, EEIE-CS, ESCE-CS
    GPG Signature:
    Key fingerprint = CEAE CF3A 3876 7ECE 9DA7 946F DA9F DDCA C392 6DCB

    "Jan Hugo Prins" wrote in message
    newsan.2005.10.17.11.49.32.400519@jhprins.org...
    > On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:37:04 -0700, sbs wrote:
    >
    >> Jeff,
    >>
    >> I figured out why the option for installing MPIO is disabled. This is
    >> probably because I was trying to install it on a WinXP box. It installed
    >> fine
    >> on a Windows 2003 server.
    >>
    >> I have switched to a EMC AX100SCi Target which I think is logoed. It
    >> probably supports MCS too (I have to check) but I do want to try MPIO
    >> specifically.
    >>
    >> Now after installing MPIO, the devices are displayed as MPIO capable,
    >> and I
    >> do see a GUI for configuring MPIO in the device details page of the MS
    >> initiator. It shows one path to the target. Can you tell me how how I can
    >> add
    >> an additional path to the target so that when I pull out the cable from
    >> one
    >> NIC, the connection can be reinstated over the other NIC? Both the NICs
    >> that
    >> I have on the system are on the same subnet as the target.

    > When you want to use multipath on iSCSI you should make sure that the 2
    > nics are in different subnets. So your SPA and SPB should also in
    > different subnets. You have to create a subnet for every path that leads
    > to your iSCSI San.
    >
    > Jan Hugo Prins

  9. Re: Setting up MPIO

    Just came back from a vacation...thanks for all the replies. I am able to use
    MPIO now. What I did not know earlier was how I could login into the target
    again. With MPIO enabled, I was expecting a second instance of the same
    target to appear, but it is just required to login into the same target
    again. That did not occur to me because the service complains that I have
    already logged in to this target via another session if MPIO is not enabled.
    I dint realise that it is possible to do it when MPIO is enabled.

    Thanks once again ....

    "Eric Bursley [MVP]" wrote:

    > The AX100 as well as all Clariion devices are active / passive devices.
    > Which means a lun owned by SPA can not be access by SPB unless the lun is
    > trespassed to SPB. Then the lun could be access by SPB, but not SPA. With
    > the AX100i, there is 1 NIC port per SP, therefore you can implement failover
    > between SP's, but not load balance.
    >

    > Eric Bursley
    > eric at bursley dot net
    > Microsoft MVP
    > RHCE, MCSE, BCFP, EEIE-CS, ESCE-CS
    > GPG Signature:
    > Key fingerprint = CEAE CF3A 3876 7ECE 9DA7 946F DA9F DDCA C392 6DCB
    >

    > "Jan Hugo Prins" wrote in message
    > newsan.2005.10.17.11.49.32.400519@jhprins.org...
    > > On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:37:04 -0700, sbs wrote:
    > >
    > >> Jeff,
    > >>
    > >> I figured out why the option for installing MPIO is disabled. This is
    > >> probably because I was trying to install it on a WinXP box. It installed
    > >> fine
    > >> on a Windows 2003 server.
    > >>
    > >> I have switched to a EMC AX100SCi Target which I think is logoed. It
    > >> probably supports MCS too (I have to check) but I do want to try MPIO
    > >> specifically.
    > >>
    > >> Now after installing MPIO, the devices are displayed as MPIO capable,
    > >> and I
    > >> do see a GUI for configuring MPIO in the device details page of the MS
    > >> initiator. It shows one path to the target. Can you tell me how how I can
    > >> add
    > >> an additional path to the target so that when I pull out the cable from
    > >> one
    > >> NIC, the connection can be reinstated over the other NIC? Both the NICs
    > >> that
    > >> I have on the system are on the same subnet as the target.

    > > When you want to use multipath on iSCSI you should make sure that the 2
    > > nics are in different subnets. So your SPA and SPB should also in
    > > different subnets. You have to create a subnet for every path that leads
    > > to your iSCSI San.
    > >
    > > Jan Hugo Prins

  10. Re: Setting up MPIO

    Still don't know how to set the MPIO!
    I have the SAS storage system with DUAL port support!
    How can I set for the Multi Path support?
    How can I test for FAILOVER?

    can anyone help?

    thanks,
    Andy

    "sbs" wrote:

    > Just came back from a vacation...thanks for all the replies. I am able to use
    > MPIO now. What I did not know earlier was how I could login into the target
    > again. With MPIO enabled, I was expecting a second instance of the same
    > target to appear, but it is just required to login into the same target
    > again. That did not occur to me because the service complains that I have
    > already logged in to this target via another session if MPIO is not enabled.
    > I dint realise that it is possible to do it when MPIO is enabled.
    >
    > Thanks once again ....
    >
    > "Eric Bursley [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > The AX100 as well as all Clariion devices are active / passive devices.
    > > Which means a lun owned by SPA can not be access by SPB unless the lun is
    > > trespassed to SPB. Then the lun could be access by SPB, but not SPA. With
    > > the AX100i, there is 1 NIC port per SP, therefore you can implement failover
    > > between SP's, but not load balance.
    > >

    > > Eric Bursley
    > > eric at bursley dot net
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > RHCE, MCSE, BCFP, EEIE-CS, ESCE-CS
    > > GPG Signature:
    > > Key fingerprint = CEAE CF3A 3876 7ECE 9DA7 946F DA9F DDCA C392 6DCB
    > >

    > > "Jan Hugo Prins" wrote in message
    > > newsan.2005.10.17.11.49.32.400519@jhprins.org...

    > > > When you want to use multipath on iSCSI you should make sure that the 2
    > > > nics are in different subnets. So your SPA and SPB should also in
    > > > different subnets. You have to create a subnet for every path that leads
    > > > to your iSCSI San.
    > > >
    > > > Jan Hugo Prins

  11. Re: Setting up MPIO

    Andy,

    You would need to get an MPIO DSM (Device Specific Module) from your
    storage system vendor. If you are using Windows 2008 you may be able to
    just install the MultipathIO optional component and configure it through
    its Control Panel applet to recognize and multipath your storage devices.

    Sean

    How to set the failover system? wrote:
    > Still don't know how to set the MPIO!
    > I have the SAS storage system with DUAL port support!
    > How can I set for the Multi Path support?
    > How can I test for FAILOVER?
    >
    > can anyone help?
    >
    > thanks,
    > Andy

  12. Re: Setting up MPIO

    The MSDSM bundled with Server 2008 is qualified for NetApp devices. You
    need to install the Host Utility kit from NetApp in order to ensure that
    all settings are correctly configured.

    You also have the option of using the Data ONTAP DSM from NetApp.
    Either solution will work, but in both cases you must install the host
    utility kit.

    ~kenny

    Sean McGinnis wrote:
    > Andy,
    >
    > You would need to get an MPIO DSM (Device Specific Module) from your
    > storage system vendor. If you are using Windows 2008 you may be able to
    > just install the MultipathIO optional component and configure it through
    > its Control Panel applet to recognize and multipath your storage devices.
    >
    > Sean
    >
    > How to set the failover system? wrote:
    >> Still don't know how to set the MPIO!
    >> I have the SAS storage system with DUAL port support!
    >> How can I set for the Multi Path support?
    >> How can I test for FAILOVER?
    >>
    >> can anyone help?
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >> Andy