Improve Backup Performance - Storage

This is a discussion on Improve Backup Performance - Storage ; Hi All, I need to improve my windows 2003 ntbackup backup performance because right now my daily backup is spanning on 3 DAT72 tapes and is taking 20 hours to complete the backup/verify process, My tape device is a Certance ...

  1. Improve Backup Performance

    Hi All,

    I need to improve my windows 2003 ntbackup backup performance because right
    now my daily backup is spanning on 3 DAT72 tapes and is taking 20 hours to
    complete the backup/verify process, My tape device is a Certance Seagate DAT
    library with 6 slots, model CDL 432 which has the following specification:
    12.5Gb/hour (non compressed)
    and up to 25Gb/hour (compressed)

    With NTBACKUP I always get 12Gb/hour no matter if I use the Hardware
    Compression parameter set to ON or OFF, but if i run the manufacturer
    Diagnostics tool it can achieve 25Gb/hour on compressed mode.

    Its really strange I am getting 12Gb/hour with NTBACKUP for me seems that
    compression is not working for some reason but on the tape itself there is a
    electronic switch for Hardware Compression that is set to enabled.

    The only other thing I imagine that could be affecting would be the
    Blocksize that ntbackup is using and I wonder if there is a way to change the
    default blocksize ntbackup use.

    any ideas?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Improve Backup Performance

    Backup speed can change dramatically depending on what is being backed up.
    i.e. deep directory listings take a lot longer than shorter directory
    listings.
    Backup jobs on tape libraries can also be performed simultaneously if
    configured properly with more advanced software. If possible, try
    upgrading your tape backup to LTO2 or LTO3. These advanced backup devices
    can backup more faster than DAT.

    Eric Bursley
    eric at bursley dot net
    Microsoft MVP
    RHCE, MCSE, BCFP, EEIE-CS, ESCE-CS
    GPG Signature:
    Key fingerprint = CEAE CF3A 3876 7ECE 9DA7 946F DA9F DDCA C392 6DCB

    "Marcello Kai" wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I need to improve my windows 2003 ntbackup backup performance because
    > right
    > now my daily backup is spanning on 3 DAT72 tapes and is taking 20 hours to
    > complete the backup/verify process, My tape device is a Certance Seagate
    > DAT
    > library with 6 slots, model CDL 432 which has the following specification:
    > 12.5Gb/hour (non compressed)
    > and up to 25Gb/hour (compressed)
    >
    > With NTBACKUP I always get 12Gb/hour no matter if I use the Hardware
    > Compression parameter set to ON or OFF, but if i run the manufacturer
    > Diagnostics tool it can achieve 25Gb/hour on compressed mode.
    >
    > Its really strange I am getting 12Gb/hour with NTBACKUP for me seems that
    > compression is not working for some reason but on the tape itself there is
    > electronic switch for Hardware Compression that is set to enabled.
    >
    > The only other thing I imagine that could be affecting would be the
    > Blocksize that ntbackup is using and I wonder if there is a way to change
    > the
    > default blocksize ntbackup use.
    >
    > any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: Improve Backup Performance

    Hi Eric,

    Thanks for your message, we might go for LTO in the future, in the past we
    didnt because the cost price of LTOs and also to maintain compatibility with
    out existing DAT Standard.

    What I think is strange is that the performance I am getting
    (11Gb/hour-compressed and 12Gb/hour - with no compression switch) is very
    close to the maximum uncompressed speed (12.5Gb/hour), for some reason I am
    not enjoying the benefits of the maximum compressed speed (25Gb/hour).

    Thanks a lot,

    "Eric Bursley [MVP]" wrote:

    > Backup speed can change dramatically depending on what is being backed up.
    > i.e. deep directory listings take a lot longer than shorter directory
    > listings.
    > Backup jobs on tape libraries can also be performed simultaneously if
    > configured properly with more advanced software. If possible, try
    > upgrading your tape backup to LTO2 or LTO3. These advanced backup devices
    > can backup more faster than DAT.
    >

    > Eric Bursley
    > eric at bursley dot net
    > Microsoft MVP
    > RHCE, MCSE, BCFP, EEIE-CS, ESCE-CS
    > GPG Signature:
    > Key fingerprint = CEAE CF3A 3876 7ECE 9DA7 946F DA9F DDCA C392 6DCB
    >

    > "Marcello Kai" wrote in message
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I need to improve my windows 2003 ntbackup backup performance because
    > > right
    > > now my daily backup is spanning on 3 DAT72 tapes and is taking 20 hours to
    > > complete the backup/verify process, My tape device is a Certance Seagate
    > > DAT
    > > library with 6 slots, model CDL 432 which has the following specification:
    > > 12.5Gb/hour (non compressed)
    > > and up to 25Gb/hour (compressed)
    > >
    > > With NTBACKUP I always get 12Gb/hour no matter if I use the Hardware
    > > Compression parameter set to ON or OFF, but if i run the manufacturer
    > > Diagnostics tool it can achieve 25Gb/hour on compressed mode.
    > >
    > > Its really strange I am getting 12Gb/hour with NTBACKUP for me seems that
    > > compression is not working for some reason but on the tape itself there is
    > > electronic switch for Hardware Compression that is set to enabled.
    > >
    > > The only other thing I imagine that could be affecting would be the
    > > Blocksize that ntbackup is using and I wonder if there is a way to change
    > > the
    > > default blocksize ntbackup use.
    > >
    > > any ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks

  4. Re: Improve Backup Performance

    With the speed improvements of LTO or even DLT, I would highly recommend the
    investment. Right now you can get an LTO autoloader for less than $7000.

    As I stated previously, depending on the type of data you are backing up,
    you may be seeing the maximum speed of your tape drive. Deep directory
    listings take longer to backup. If you are already backing up compressed
    files, then hardware compression will have little or no effect.

    To test your backup speed, try using the program creatfil from Microsoft,
    and create a large file. Then backup that file to tape. theoretically that
    will show your maximum throughput with or without compression.

    > Hi Eric,
    >
    > Thanks for your message, we might go for LTO in the future, in the past we
    > didnt because the cost price of LTOs and also to maintain compatibility
    > with
    > out existing DAT Standard.
    >
    > What I think is strange is that the performance I am getting
    > (11Gb/hour-compressed and 12Gb/hour - with no compression switch) is very
    > close to the maximum uncompressed speed (12.5Gb/hour), for some reason I
    > am
    > not enjoying the benefits of the maximum compressed speed (25Gb/hour).
    >
    > Thanks a lot,
    >

    > "Eric Bursley [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Backup speed can change dramatically depending on what is being backed
    >> up.
    >> i.e. deep directory listings take a lot longer than shorter directory
    >> listings.
    >> Backup jobs on tape libraries can also be performed simultaneously if
    >> configured properly with more advanced software. If possible, try
    >> upgrading your tape backup to LTO2 or LTO3. These advanced backup
    >> devices
    >> can backup more faster than DAT.
    >>

    >> Eric Bursley
    >> eric at bursley dot net
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> RHCE, MCSE, BCFP, EEIE-CS, ESCE-CS
    >> GPG Signature:
    >> Key fingerprint = CEAE CF3A 3876 7ECE 9DA7 946F DA9F DDCA C392 6DCB
    >>

    >> "Marcello Kai" wrote in message
    >> > Hi All,
    >> >
    >> > I need to improve my windows 2003 ntbackup backup performance because
    >> > right
    >> > now my daily backup is spanning on 3 DAT72 tapes and is taking 20 hours
    >> > complete the backup/verify process, My tape device is a Certance
    >> > Seagate
    >> > DAT
    >> > library with 6 slots, model CDL 432 which has the following
    >> > specification:
    >> > 12.5Gb/hour (non compressed)
    >> > and up to 25Gb/hour (compressed)
    >> >
    >> > With NTBACKUP I always get 12Gb/hour no matter if I use the Hardware
    >> > Compression parameter set to ON or OFF, but if i run the manufacturer
    >> > Diagnostics tool it can achieve 25Gb/hour on compressed mode.
    >> >
    >> > Its really strange I am getting 12Gb/hour with NTBACKUP for me seems
    >> > that
    >> > compression is not working for some reason but on the tape itself there
    >> > is
    >> > electronic switch for Hardware Compression that is set to enabled.
    >> >
    >> > The only other thing I imagine that could be affecting would be the
    >> > Blocksize that ntbackup is using and I wonder if there is a way to
    >> > change
    >> > the
    >> > default blocksize ntbackup use.
    >> >
    >> > any ideas?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks

  5. Re: Improve Backup Performance

    Did you resolve your issue? I have a DDS5 tape drive that WIndows 2003
    ntbackup backs up to. I am only getting 36GB onto the tape (DAT 36/72
    tape) which seems to me like compression is not working at all even
    though the HC switch is on and I have used HP tools to verify that the
    tape drive supports compression.

    Is there a problem with ntbackup not using compression?

    --
    jjohnson
    http://www.mcse.ms