File and Settings Wizard Dat Files - Storage

This is a discussion on File and Settings Wizard Dat Files - Storage ; Hello recently i was planning to format my main drive (C:\) which contained windows on it, so i decided to use the file and settings wizard to backup all my files to my slave drive (F:\). So i did that ...

  1. File and Settings Wizard Dat Files

    Hello

    recently i was planning to format my main drive (C:\) which contained
    windows on it, so i decided to use the file and settings wizard to backup all
    my files to my slave drive (F:\). So i did that all fine, and in my F:\ I had
    the folder named USMT2.UNC with 7 files, 6 files named from IMG00001.DAT to
    IMG00006.DAT and a file named status (no extention). So i went ahead,
    formatted my c:\ and reinstalled windows. Now once all that was done i was
    left with a fresh copy of windows and a formatted c:\ but with my f:\ (now my
    d:\) still intact with all files. So i went to the file and settings transfer
    wizard and i chose new computer, and it asked me to navigate where these
    files are and what do i get? a window saying:

    "The Location that you specified does not contain stored information. Please
    Type a valid folder path into the edit box. If you entered a path to a folder
    on a removable disk, the disk must be in the drive."

    all of which i have done. Now i have 2 questions to ask,

    1) How do i extract these files MYSELF without using the wizard
    and/or
    2) How to resolve this problem as soon as possible

    Thankyou in Advance

  2. Re: File and Settings Wizard Dat Files

    onesikgypo wrote:
    > *Hello
    >
    > recently i was planning to format my main drive (C:\) which
    > contained
    > windows on it, so i decided to use the file and settings wizard to
    > backup all
    > my files to my slave drive (F:\). So i did that all fine, and in my
    > F:\ I had
    > the folder named USMT2.UNC with 7 files, 6 files named from
    > IMG00001.DAT to
    > IMG00006.DAT and a file named status (no extention). So i went
    > ahead,
    > formatted my c:\ and reinstalled windows. Now once all that was done
    > i was
    > left with a fresh copy of windows and a formatted c:\ but with my f:\
    > (now my
    > d:\) still intact with all files. So i went to the file and settings
    > transfer
    > wizard and i chose new computer, and it asked me to navigate where
    > these
    > files are and what do i get? a window saying:
    >
    > "The Location that you specified does not contain stored information.
    > Please
    > Type a valid folder path into the edit box. If you entered a path to
    > a folder
    > on a removable disk, the disk must be in the drive."
    >
    > all of which i have done. Now i have 2 questions to ask,
    >
    > 1) How do i extract these files MYSELF without using the wizard
    > and/or
    > 2) How to resolve this problem as soon as possible
    >
    > Thankyou in Advance *

    I've pretty much got the same problem and am looking into it...let me
    know if you figure out how to fix this!

    --
    nessies2003

  3. Re: File and Settings Wizard Dat Files

    YeaH, I'm having the exact same problem .... After all my research , it
    looks like I'm F**k'd .. however, I'm going to keep looking ... I DID
    come accross a file called fastconv.exe ... it'll extract the info from
    the dat files.

    --
    strock

  4. Re: File and Settings Wizard Dat Files

    Yeah, that's what I did....worked well once I figured out how to use the
    fastconv.exe file.

    --
    nessies2003

  5. Re: File and Settings Wizard Dat Files

    nessies2003 wrote:
    > *Yeah, that's what I did....worked well once I figured out how to us
    > the fastconv.exe file. *

    Hi, I recently had the dreaded problem with Files and setting transfe
    wizard. It would not restore my backed up files, said it could not fin
    the backup file even though i directed it to it. I downloaded th
    fastconv.exe tool but am having no luck in getting it to work. Mayb
    this has to do with me being a complete novice when it comes to dos. I
    any event, My backup file is located on my slave drive which is drive D
    I keep getting the message that the source store is invalid. As a
    example, this is one of the comands i typed into the dos prompt.

    fastconv /i:d:\USMT2.UNC /s:d:\USMT2.UNC /d:c:\NEW /k

    If any of you have any insight into this I would really apprecitate th
    help. I guess I am not really understanding the whole source stor
    thing, is this the USMT2.UNC file folder? and the files to includ
    should be the IMG files? I have pretty much tried every combination
    can think of and I always get the error that tells me the source stor
    in invali

    -
    silversea6

  6. RE: File and Settings Wizard Dat Files

    Hi All,

    I see 6 separate discussion threads on this topic / TechNet about FAST not
    working. I have read them all and tried just about all the suggestions and
    still no success. I have used rmv2opq for converting removable media data
    files to fixed versions, fastconv on both orignals and converted versions,
    and have just uninstalled MS Hotfix KB896344 32 to 64 bit conversion
    capability on the target machine. I have also used the XP SP1 CD as source
    for FAST on both machines. My source machine is XP SP2 with updates and my
    laptop the same. FAST yields 2 files img00001.dat and img00002.dat totalling
    some 2GB. Over DCC these take over 12 hours to copy between machines so I
    don't want to reconstruct these yet again as I have already spent over a day
    system time and over 8 hours personal time, trying to get this c.......y
    Microsoft fault corrected. Does anyone have any further suggestions? When I
    learned my computing it ws industry practice to aim for perfection in systems
    design and programming. Now I fear the 16 year olds are put on to all tasks
    including ones that are at times very important. I wonder what the experts
    are doing? Perhaps they all became managers! Oh dear..... HELP!!!!
    --
    Geoff

    "onesikgypo" wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > recently i was planning to format my main drive (C:\) which contained
    > windows on it, so i decided to use the file and settings wizard to backup all
    > my files to my slave drive (F:\). So i did that all fine, and in my F:\ I had
    > the folder named USMT2.UNC with 7 files, 6 files named from IMG00001.DAT to
    > IMG00006.DAT and a file named status (no extention). So i went ahead,
    > formatted my c:\ and reinstalled windows. Now once all that was done i was
    > left with a fresh copy of windows and a formatted c:\ but with my f:\ (now my
    > d:\) still intact with all files. So i went to the file and settings transfer
    > wizard and i chose new computer, and it asked me to navigate where these
    > files are and what do i get? a window saying:
    >
    > "The Location that you specified does not contain stored information. Please
    > Type a valid folder path into the edit box. If you entered a path to a folder
    > on a removable disk, the disk must be in the drive."
    >
    > all of which i have done. Now i have 2 questions to ask,
    >
    > 1) How do i extract these files MYSELF without using the wizard
    > and/or
    > 2) How to resolve this problem as soon as possible
    >
    > Thankyou in Advance

  7. FAST

    Unplug the drive with the FAST Folder on it. Re format and reinstal
    windows with that drive still unplugged. Shutdown, plug the driv
    back in and you should be able to complete the transfer wizard
    Worked for me. :P

    hueman

  8. RE: FAST

    Thanks Hueman1, Sadly, I gave up and hand copied some key files across, but
    only about 2MB worth and not the full 2GB. Thanks again. Geoff.
    --
    Geoff

    "hueman1" wrote:

    > Unplug the drive with the FAST Folder on it. Re format and reinstall
    > windows with that drive still unplugged. Shutdown, plug the drive
    > back in and you should be able to complete the transfer wizard.
    > Worked for me. :P
    >
    > hueman1

  9. Re: File and Settings Wizard Dat Files

    I used the removable media option for the FASTW. Need to manually
    convert to a non-removable format. Anyone know how to get rmv2opq.exe?
    Doesn't exist on the web.

    --
    weyenber
    http://www.mcse.ms