Which Storage Server 2003 edition do I need??? - Storage

This is a discussion on Which Storage Server 2003 edition do I need??? - Storage ; Hello, My company would like to look at the WSS 2003 products available but I am having trouble figuring out what version are available and wich one will work for us. So far I have seen 4 versions mentioned. Express, ...

  1. Which Storage Server 2003 edition do I need???

    Hello,

    My company would like to look at the WSS 2003 products available but I am
    having trouble figuring out what version are available and wich one will work
    for us. So far I have seen 4 versions mentioned. Express, Standard, Workgroup
    and Enterprise.

    I think I have figured out some of the differences between some of these
    versions but I'm still not sure wich one will have all the features we need
    so I will just tell you what those required features are.

    In additon to basic file serving, we will need to implement a backup service
    and anti-virus software. Print service are not needed. The big requirment
    which is what I'm having trouble figuring out is replication services. I need
    to know what version will support replication and failover between two WSS
    2003 NAS devices. This is to provide redundancy in the event of a server
    failure that makes one ot the servers unavailable.

    I have a quote from Dell for the Powervault 745N model loaded with WSS 2003
    Express edition. However they have not verified that the Express edition will
    support replication and failover between 2 of the 745N's. My contact at Dell
    is trying to find the right info for me but I thought I would get someone
    else to verify what version I am going to need.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. Re: Which Storage Server 2003 edition do I need???

    Depends on what you mean by 'failover'. If you mean 'failover' like Cluster
    server, then you need Enterprise. If you mean that you plan to replicate
    data between two servers (e.g. a geo cluster) then you could use any
    version, but you will also need to acquire replication software (you will
    need to check w/the replication vendor to see if they require EE) if the OEM
    does not include it.

    Pat

    "MHTB Matt" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > My company would like to look at the WSS 2003 products available but I am
    > having trouble figuring out what version are available and wich one will
    > work
    > for us. So far I have seen 4 versions mentioned. Express, Standard,
    > Workgroup
    > and Enterprise.
    >
    > I think I have figured out some of the differences between some of these
    > versions but I'm still not sure wich one will have all the features we
    > need
    > so I will just tell you what those required features are.
    >
    > In additon to basic file serving, we will need to implement a backup
    > service
    > and anti-virus software. Print service are not needed. The big requirment
    > which is what I'm having trouble figuring out is replication services. I
    > need
    > to know what version will support replication and failover between two WSS
    > 2003 NAS devices. This is to provide redundancy in the event of a server
    > failure that makes one ot the servers unavailable.
    >
    > I have a quote from Dell for the Powervault 745N model loaded with WSS
    > 2003
    > Express edition. However they have not verified that the Express edition
    > will
    > support replication and failover between 2 of the 745N's. My contact at
    > Dell
    > is trying to find the right info for me but I thought I would get someone
    > else to verify what version I am going to need.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

  3. Re: Which Storage Server 2003 edition do I need???

    For "failover" I'm looking for this:

    A primary storage server that is replicated to a second server. If the
    primary server fails then the second server will assume the roll of the
    Primary server and continue to serve files using the replicated data. The
    failover should be seamless to the end users accessing the server and they
    would not know that they are accessing the backup server instead of the
    primary server.

    So it sounds to me that I'll be needing the Enterpise Edition.

    "Pat [MSFT]" wrote:

    > Depends on what you mean by 'failover'. If you mean 'failover' like Cluster
    > server, then you need Enterprise. If you mean that you plan to replicate
    > data between two servers (e.g. a geo cluster) then you could use any
    > version, but you will also need to acquire replication software (you will
    > need to check w/the replication vendor to see if they require EE) if the OEM
    > does not include it.
    >

    > Pat
    >
    > "MHTB Matt" wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > My company would like to look at the WSS 2003 products available but I am
    > > having trouble figuring out what version are available and wich one will
    > > work
    > > for us. So far I have seen 4 versions mentioned. Express, Standard,
    > > Workgroup
    > > and Enterprise.
    > >
    > > I think I have figured out some of the differences between some of these
    > > versions but I'm still not sure wich one will have all the features we
    > > need
    > > so I will just tell you what those required features are.
    > >
    > > In additon to basic file serving, we will need to implement a backup
    > > service
    > > and anti-virus software. Print service are not needed. The big requirment
    > > which is what I'm having trouble figuring out is replication services. I
    > > need
    > > to know what version will support replication and failover between two WSS
    > > 2003 NAS devices. This is to provide redundancy in the event of a server
    > > failure that makes one ot the servers unavailable.
    > >
    > > I have a quote from Dell for the Powervault 745N model loaded with WSS
    > > 2003
    > > Express edition. However they have not verified that the Express edition
    > > will
    > > support replication and failover between 2 of the 745N's. My contact at
    > > Dell
    > > is trying to find the right info for me but I thought I would get someone
    > > else to verify what version I am going to need.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance!

  4. Re: Which Storage Server 2003 edition do I need???

    In that case, you won't need to replicate the data. If you use a clustered
    solution, the failover of all resources just moves between nodes (IP
    address, share, LUN, etc.). No replication required.

    Pat

    "MHTB Matt" wrote in message
    > For "failover" I'm looking for this:
    >
    > A primary storage server that is replicated to a second server. If the
    > primary server fails then the second server will assume the roll of the
    > Primary server and continue to serve files using the replicated data. The
    > failover should be seamless to the end users accessing the server and they
    > would not know that they are accessing the backup server instead of the
    > primary server.
    >
    > So it sounds to me that I'll be needing the Enterpise Edition.
    >
    > "Pat [MSFT]" wrote:
    >
    >> Depends on what you mean by 'failover'. If you mean 'failover' like
    >> Cluster
    >> server, then you need Enterprise. If you mean that you plan to replicate
    >> data between two servers (e.g. a geo cluster) then you could use any
    >> version, but you will also need to acquire replication software (you will
    >> need to check w/the replication vendor to see if they require EE) if the
    >> OEM
    >> does not include it.
    >>

    >> Pat
    >>
    >> "MHTB Matt" wrote in message
    >> > Hello,
    >> >
    >> > My company would like to look at the WSS 2003 products available but I
    >> > am
    >> > having trouble figuring out what version are available and wich one
    >> > will
    >> > work
    >> > for us. So far I have seen 4 versions mentioned. Express, Standard,
    >> > Workgroup
    >> > and Enterprise.
    >> >
    >> > I think I have figured out some of the differences between some of
    >> > these
    >> > versions but I'm still not sure wich one will have all the features we
    >> > need
    >> > so I will just tell you what those required features are.
    >> >
    >> > In additon to basic file serving, we will need to implement a backup
    >> > service
    >> > and anti-virus software. Print service are not needed. The big
    >> > requirment
    >> > which is what I'm having trouble figuring out is replication services.
    >> > need
    >> > to know what version will support replication and failover between two
    >> > WSS
    >> > 2003 NAS devices. This is to provide redundancy in the event of a
    >> > server
    >> > failure that makes one ot the servers unavailable.
    >> >
    >> > I have a quote from Dell for the Powervault 745N model loaded with WSS
    >> > 2003
    >> > Express edition. However they have not verified that the Express
    >> > edition
    >> > will
    >> > support replication and failover between 2 of the 745N's. My contact at
    >> > Dell
    >> > is trying to find the right info for me but I thought I would get
    >> > someone
    >> > else to verify what version I am going to need.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance!

  5. RE: Which Storage Server 2003 edition do I need???

    Just an idea, have you looked at fault tolerant DFS as a solution.

    "MHTB Matt" wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > My company would like to look at the WSS 2003 products available but I am
    > having trouble figuring out what version are available and wich one will work
    > for us. So far I have seen 4 versions mentioned. Express, Standard, Workgroup
    > and Enterprise.
    >
    > I think I have figured out some of the differences between some of these
    > versions but I'm still not sure wich one will have all the features we need
    > so I will just tell you what those required features are.
    >
    > In additon to basic file serving, we will need to implement a backup service
    > and anti-virus software. Print service are not needed. The big requirment
    > which is what I'm having trouble figuring out is replication services. I need
    > to know what version will support replication and failover between two WSS
    > 2003 NAS devices. This is to provide redundancy in the event of a server
    > failure that makes one ot the servers unavailable.
    >
    > I have a quote from Dell for the Powervault 745N model loaded with WSS 2003
    > Express edition. However they have not verified that the Express edition will
    > support replication and failover between 2 of the 745N's. My contact at Dell
    > is trying to find the right info for me but I thought I would get someone
    > else to verify what version I am going to need.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

  6. Re: Which Storage Server 2003 edition do I need???

    Since you guys are so familiar with the dell Powervault 745N I wanted t
    ask a question. I understand that this is a NAS but does is have th
    ability to also share across raid? What is the size limitation to thi
    unit

    -
    DrSki

  7. Re: Which Storage Server 2003 edition do I need???

    The PV745 uses Windows Storage Server, therefore any Windows limitations
    also apply to the PV 745. In theory you can create a mount point under a
    share point that will allow you to share across a RAID set.

    Eric Bursley
    eric at bursley dot net
    Microsoft MVP
    RHCE, MCSE, BCFP, EEIE-CS, ESCE-CS
    GPG Signature: Key fingerprint = CEAE CF3A 3876 7ECE 9DA7 946F DA9F DDCA
    C392 6DCB

    newsrSkit.20q6rz@mail.mcse.ms...