cannot access spanned dynamic volume help! - Storage

This is a discussion on cannot access spanned dynamic volume help! - Storage ; windows 2003 server 6 hard drives drive 0 basic drive drive 1 and 2 dynamic 1 volume drive 3 basic drive drive 4 and 5 dynamic 1 volume maxtor controller and maxtor drives (all 200 gb) Drive 3 crashes. not ...

  1. cannot access spanned dynamic volume help!

    windows 2003 server

    6 hard drives

    drive 0 basic drive
    drive 1 and 2 dynamic 1 volume
    drive 3 basic drive
    drive 4 and 5 dynamic 1 volume

    maxtor controller and maxtor drives (all 200 gb)

    Drive 3 crashes.
    not recognized by bios (now removed)

    0 1 and 2 are accessible. drive 4 and 5 are not.

    number 4 is online (now number 3)

    number 5 (now number 4) is "missing" and offline

    does windows "remember" device assignments and is it possible that if i
    reinsert a like drive in the place of the damaged number 3 that the dynamic
    drives will be "found" by windows 2003 server?

    any help is appreciated!

  2. Re: cannot access spanned dynamic volume help!

    Windows recognizes drives from the disk signature, stored in the first
    sector of the disk, and referenced in the HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices part
    of the registry.

    Renumbering the drives should therefore not break the volume. My assumption
    would be that you have lost disk 5 as well. A defect power cable could be
    the reason (this has happened to me, once).

    If the volume on disk 4 and 5 was a mirrored volume, it should still be
    accessible, while, if it was a an extended volume or a striped volume, you
    would need to delete the volume, create a new and restore from backup.

    Best regards

    Bjorn
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)

    "parrothead" wrote:

    >windows 2003 server
    >
    >6 hard drives
    >
    >drive 0 basic drive
    >drive 1 and 2 dynamic 1 volume
    >drive 3 basic drive
    >drive 4 and 5 dynamic 1 volume
    >
    >maxtor controller and maxtor drives (all 200 gb)
    >
    >Drive 3 crashes.
    >not recognized by bios (now removed)
    >
    >0 1 and 2 are accessible. drive 4 and 5 are not.
    >
    >number 4 is online (now number 3)
    >
    >number 5 (now number 4) is "missing" and offline
    >
    >does windows "remember" device assignments and is it possible that if i
    >reinsert a like drive in the place of the damaged number 3 that the dynamic
    >drives will be "found" by windows 2003 server?
    >
    >any help is appreciated!

+ Reply to Thread