RAID and Disk Management - Storage

This is a discussion on RAID and Disk Management - Storage ; I would like to set up a RAID5 array. I need to have separate drive letters with in the array. For example: Create an raid 5 array, then assign drive letters. E:\ for administration, F:\ for technical F:\ for support. ...

  1. RAID and Disk Management

    I would like to set up a RAID5 array. I need to have separate drive letters
    with in the array.

    For example: Create an raid 5 array, then assign drive letters. E:\ for
    administration, F:\ for technical F:\ for support.

    Is it possible to make partitions with in the RAID array?

    All your help is apreceated, thanks in advance!

  2. Re: RAID and Disk Management

    Greg

    Is this hardware or software RAID?

    If hardware - no problem, it acts as one large disk, just use Disk
    Management to create three partitions.

    If software - create three RAID5 volumes, one at a time, using Disk
    Management.

    Best regards

    Bjorn
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)

    "Greg" wrote:

    >I would like to set up a RAID5 array. I need to have separate drive letters
    >with in the array.
    >
    >For example: Create an raid 5 array, then assign drive letters. E:\ for
    >administration, F:\ for technical F:\ for support.
    >
    >Is it possible to make partitions with in the RAID array?
    >
    >All your help is apreceated, thanks in advance!

  3. Re: RAID and Disk Management

    While Bjorn is correct that this is possible, it is usually better with
    hardware RAID to create individual LUNs each with a single partition and
    single volume. We find people want the capability to do different things
    with each "dataset" granularly. This is especially true in SAN (iSCSI or FC)
    where fast recovery solutions are becoming available.

    By implementing your storage design/layout/configuration this way, you
    enable this capability and have the most flexibility in your storage design
    to make change in the future. If you do not implement this way and in the
    future you want granularity, then you would need to move all of the data
    from only volume to a new single volume. Depending on amount of data and
    user uptime requirements, this may or may not be a weekend at work.

    Single LUN, single partition, single volume in hardware also enables you the
    ability to grow the LUN and partition/volume using basic disks and either
    the array vendor application to grow the LUN and diskpart extend to grow the
    volume. Basic disks are also supported in clusters for failover.

    --
    Keith Hageman
    newsgroup purposes only.

    "Bjorn Landemoo" wrote in message
    > Greg
    >
    > Is this hardware or software RAID?
    >
    > If hardware - no problem, it acts as one large disk, just use Disk
    > Management to create three partitions.
    >
    > If software - create three RAID5 volumes, one at a time, using Disk
    > Management.
    >
    > Best regards
    >
    > Bjorn
    > --
    > Bjorn Landemoo - mvp2@landemoo.com - http://landemoo.com/
    > Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)
    >
    > "Greg" wrote:
    >
    >>I would like to set up a RAID5 array. I need to have separate drive
    >>letters
    >>with in the array.
    >>
    >>For example: Create an raid 5 array, then assign drive letters. E:\ for
    >>administration, F:\ for technical F:\ for support.
    >>
    >>Is it possible to make partitions with in the RAID array?
    >>
    >>All your help is apreceated, thanks in advance!

+ Reply to Thread