MS iSCSI Initiator unable to logoff session - Storage

This is a discussion on MS iSCSI Initiator unable to logoff session - Storage ; Hi, all Could someone please help me resolve my problem or direct me to some resoures? I am having a huge problem with MS iSCSI Initiator running on Windows2003 connecting to VTrack15200. In initiator, when i go to "active sessions" ...

  1. MS iSCSI Initiator unable to logoff session

    Hi, all

    Could someone please help me resolve my problem or direct me to some resoures?

    I am having a huge problem with MS iSCSI Initiator running on Windows2003
    connecting to VTrack15200.

    In initiator, when i go to "active sessions" and try to to logoff from the
    session connected to VTrack, it gives an error saying "session cannot be
    logged out since session on the device is being used".

    I made sure that there are no users connected to server. I physically
    disconnected the server from the network, and stopped all and any services
    that may be accessing the disk.

    Yet it still gives that same error.

    The only way i can manage to somehow log it off is if i manually stop all
    shares. But as you can understand, i can't afford to lose shares all the time

    Furthermore, after reconnecting, an error in the system log says that the
    ntfs is corrupted on that drive. Sometimes i can still access the disk, but
    sometimes i can't, unless i run chkdsk on the drive.

    Speaking of system log. When i try to log off and it doesn't the system
    log's entry says that the request was "vetoed" by the device.

    I can provide the system error logs if this will help

    If anyone has any suggestions or solutions to how i can safely log-off the
    session, please post them here. This is a really urgent matter for our
    company right now.

    Thanks to all

  2. Re: MS iSCSI Initiator unable to logoff session

    The iSCSI service will always check with the Windows Plug and Play Manager
    to be sure if it is safe to remove a device before allowing a logout. This
    is so that iSCSI can ensure data integrity for the files on the disk. If the
    removal is being vetoed then it is most likely due to the fact that there is
    some open handle to the device or a file on the device. There is a tool on
    www.sysinternals.com that will dump the open handles on the system. If you
    run this before trying to logout it may show a handle that is open to the
    device that you didn't realize was open. From your description my guess
    would be the server service has a handle open. I am also curious about one
    other thing related to your workaround. If you are going to disconnect the
    disk with the shares on it, what is the issue with stopping the shares on
    the disk ? Perhaps I am missing something in your workaround.

    As for the NTFS errors, how do you cause the disconnection of the device ?
    If you are force disconnecting it could be that data corruption is occuring
    since the device wasn't disconnected safely. Do you see these errors at any
    other time ?

    "Girit" wrote in message
    news78643C9-3B18-4441-8E44-3224C2141485@microsoft.com...
    > Hi, all
    >
    > Could someone please help me resolve my problem or direct me to some

    resoures?

    > I am having a huge problem with MS iSCSI Initiator running on Windows2003
    > connecting to VTrack15200.
    >
    > In initiator, when i go to "active sessions" and try to to logoff from the
    > session connected to VTrack, it gives an error saying "session cannot be
    > logged out since session on the device is being used".
    >
    > I made sure that there are no users connected to server. I physically
    > disconnected the server from the network, and stopped all and any services
    > that may be accessing the disk.
    >
    > Yet it still gives that same error.
    >
    > The only way i can manage to somehow log it off is if i manually stop all
    > shares. But as you can understand, i can't afford to lose shares all the

    time

    > Furthermore, after reconnecting, an error in the system log says that the
    > ntfs is corrupted on that drive. Sometimes i can still access the disk,

    but
    > sometimes i can't, unless i run chkdsk on the drive.
    >
    > Speaking of system log. When i try to log off and it doesn't the system
    > log's entry says that the request was "vetoed" by the device.
    >
    > I can provide the system error logs if this will help
    >
    > If anyone has any suggestions or solutions to how i can safely log-off the
    > session, please post them here. This is a really urgent matter for our
    > company right now.
    >
    > Thanks to all

+ Reply to Thread