ATA-100 drive only ~14000kB/s in Sisoft Bench - Storage

This is a discussion on ATA-100 drive only ~14000kB/s in Sisoft Bench - Storage ; Someone I know is having slower than expected performance on a Gateway E-4600. This system has an i850 chipset, Pentium 4 1.8Ghz CPU, 256MB PC800 RDRAM, and a Western Digital WD800BB-53CCB0 hard disk. This WD hard disk is a 7200 ...

  1. ATA-100 drive only ~14000kB/s in Sisoft Bench

    Someone I know is having slower than expected performance on a Gateway
    E-4600. This system has an i850 chipset, Pentium 4 1.8Ghz CPU, 256MB PC800
    RDRAM, and a Western Digital WD800BB-53CCB0 hard disk. This WD hard disk is
    a 7200 RPM ATA-100 drive, and I'm assuming that the Intel board in this
    thing has an ATA-100 IDE controller.

    Programs load slower than expected, so I ran Sisoft Sandra disk performance
    benchmark, and it usually comes up with about 14kB/s. Should I not get at
    least 26-27kB/s?

    The latest Intel Application Accelerator is installed, and it is showing
    that the controller the HD is connected to is set at Ultra DMA 5. I rolled
    back to the stock MS driver that installs with WinXP Home and got the same
    results, with the device manager showing the controller set at Ultra DMA 5.

    Before I even installed Sandra, I defragged and cleaned up. I've shut down
    anti-virus processes and other background applications before running the
    Sandra benchmark. I have booted with a WD Diag floppy, and run the quick
    test with no errors reported. I did not run the extended test, because it
    recommended backing up data, there is a few CDs worth of data on here right
    now.

    Any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Ed

  2. Correction

    "Ed Crismond" wrote in message
    > Programs load slower than expected, so I ran Sisoft Sandra disk
    > performance benchmark, and it usually comes up with about 14kB/s. Should I
    > not get at least 26-27kB/s?

    That should read, "...and it usually comes up with about 14,000kB/s. Should
    I not get at
    least 26000-27000kB/s?"

  3. Re: Correction

    Ed Crismond wrote:
    > "Ed Crismond" wrote in message
    >
    >>Programs load slower than expected, so I ran Sisoft Sandra disk
    >>performance benchmark, and it usually comes up with about 14kB/s. Should I
    >>not get at least 26-27kB/s?
    >>

    > That should read, "...and it usually comes up with about 14,000kB/s. Should
    > I not get at
    > least 26000-27000kB/s?"

    Sandra is suspect w.r.t. HD performance. Get HDtach and run it to see if the
    HD and the path to memory are up to snuff. For HDtach, go to www.simplisoft.com;
    and note that the new V3 is only for XP; you'll need a V2.x version of HDtach
    if you run W9x.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

  4. Re: ATA-100 drive only ~14000kB/s in Sisoft Bench

    "Bob Willard" wrote in message
    > Sandra is suspect w.r.t. HD performance. Get HDtach and run it to see if
    > the
    > HD and the path to memory are up to snuff. For HDtach, go to
    > www.simplisoft.com;
    > and note that the new V3 is only for XP; you'll need a V2.x version of
    > HDtach
    > if you run W9x.
    > --

    I downloaded, installed, and ran HDtach. The average read of the WD800BB was
    36.5 MB/s. This is much closer to what I would expect, although it is a
    little lower than the WD800BB benchmark comparison that came with HDtech.
    Maybe the comparison bench was higher because of other components in that
    system? Like the Athlon 3200+ on an Abit NF7-S?

    Maybe all this Gateway system needs is a little more memory to make it
    snappier.

    Thanks.

    Ed

  5. Re: ATA-100 drive only ~14000kB/s in Sisoft Bench

    Ed Crismond wrote:

    > "Bob Willard" wrote in message
    >
    >> Sandra is suspect w.r.t. HD performance. Get HDtach and run it to see if
    >>the
    >>HD and the path to memory are up to snuff. For HDtach, go to
    >>www.simplisoft.com;
    >>and note that the new V3 is only for XP; you'll need a V2.x version of
    >>HDtach
    >>if you run W9x.
    >>--

    > I downloaded, installed, and ran HDtach. The average read of the WD800BB was
    > 36.5 MB/s. This is much closer to what I would expect, although it is a
    > little lower than the WD800BB benchmark comparison that came with HDtech.
    > Maybe the comparison bench was higher because of other components in that
    > system? Like the Athlon 3200+ on an Abit NF7-S?
    >
    > Maybe all this Gateway system needs is a little more memory to make it
    > snappier.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Ed

    Storage Review measured read transfer rates on that HD at 36 MB/s on the
    outer cylinders and 24 MB/s on the inner cylinders. You should get about
    the same with HDtach if you run it nearly standalone; I'd count anything
    in the range of -10% to +5% as the same.

    You have plenty of RAM for HDtach. But, for non-benchmark use, 256MB on
    a PC running XP is pretty minimal: OK for one app at a time, but likely to
    bog down if you multi-task. For most XP use, 512MB is fine; more if you
    edit photos or video or audio.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

+ Reply to Thread