External Hard Drives (Firewire) - Storage

This is a discussion on External Hard Drives (Firewire) - Storage ; I have need of lots of storage and thus periodically end up buyinh new hard drives and enclosures and connecting them to my computer (Windows XP Pro w/SP2) via FireWire. My problem is as follows: I just bought a new ...

  1. External Hard Drives (Firewire)

    I have need of lots of storage and thus periodically end up buyinh new hard
    drives and enclosures and connecting them to my computer (Windows XP Pro
    w/SP2) via FireWire.

    My problem is as follows:

    I just bought a new drive & enclosure today and assembled everything and
    connected as I always do. This time my new drive doesn't show up under My
    Computer, Disk Management , or Partition Magic 8.0.

    I have a total of seven disks on my compuer currently and all work just
    fine. This last one, my eighth, is not recognized by anything.

    Is this some limitation of WinXP? Can anyone help me out?

  2. Re: External Hard Drives (Firewire)

    Why don't you try to disconnect one of your drive and then plug in the
    new one? Maybe there'a cable, or firewire limitation? unlikely.
    could be a bad disk or just need to rescan the device.

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:53:01 -0700, "bigfan10"
    wrote:

    >I have need of lots of storage and thus periodically end up buyinh new hard
    >drives and enclosures and connecting them to my computer (Windows XP Pro
    >w/SP2) via FireWire.
    >
    >My problem is as follows:
    >
    >I just bought a new drive & enclosure today and assembled everything and
    >connected as I always do. This time my new drive doesn't show up under My
    >Computer, Disk Management , or Partition Magic 8.0.
    >
    >I have a total of seven disks on my compuer currently and all work just
    >fine. This last one, my eighth, is not recognized by anything.
    >
    >Is this some limitation of WinXP? Can anyone help me out?

+ Reply to Thread