RAID 10 on Windows 2003 Servers - Storage

This is a discussion on RAID 10 on Windows 2003 Servers - Storage ; I have been asked to set up a RAID 10 on a Dell PowerVault 220S with two servers, a Dell Power Edge 6650 with 2 HDD’s and a Dell Power Edge 6600 with one HDD. We are connecting both servers ...

  1. RAID 10 on Windows 2003 Servers

    I have been asked to set up a RAID 10 on a Dell PowerVault 220S with two
    servers, a Dell Power Edge 6650 with 2 HDD’s and a Dell Power Edge 6600 with
    one HDD. We are connecting both servers to the vault with SCSI in cluster
    mode.

    From what I could research on Dell’s site, the two servers cannot be
    directly connected to the PowerVault unless it is clustered. We only have
    Windows Server 2003 Standard edition, and I believe Enterprise or Data Center
    is needed for cluster mode. Is this true?

    Can these three pieces be set up in a RAID 10 without upgrading our software
    or any hardware? We can get the 6650 configured with RAID 5 and the 6600 with
    RAID 1 individually, but when we try to cluster them them in RAID 10 we keep
    getting drive failures and SCSI errors and other boot errors, depending on
    how we changed the configuration.
    Do we need the Win 2003 enterprise or is there something we are missing. I
    am new to RAID 10 and the errors we are getting are very frustrating and do
    not seem to make sense.

    Any info will be appreciated.

  2. Re: RAID 10 on Windows 2003 Servers

    Steve

    You need Enterprise in order to configure a cluster. This MS Knowledge Base
    article explains why you have the tool in Standard Server:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=292272

    You should be able to upgrade your current Standard Servers to Enterprise.

    Best regards

    Bjorn
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Server - File System)

    "Steve A" A@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have been asked to set up a RAID 10 on a Dell PowerVault 220S with two
    >servers, a Dell Power Edge 6650 with 2 HDDs and a Dell Power Edge 6600 with
    >one HDD. We are connecting both servers to the vault with SCSI in cluster
    >mode.
    >
    >From what I could research on Dells site, the two servers cannot be
    >directly connected to the PowerVault unless it is clustered. We only have
    >Windows Server 2003 Standard edition, and I believe Enterprise or Data Center
    >is needed for cluster mode. Is this true?
    >
    >Can these three pieces be set up in a RAID 10 without upgrading our software
    >or any hardware? We can get the 6650 configured with RAID 5 and the 6600 with
    >RAID 1 individually, but when we try to cluster them them in RAID 10 we keep
    >getting drive failures and SCSI errors and other boot errors, depending on
    >how we changed the configuration.
    >Do we need the Win 2003 enterprise or is there something we are missing. I
    >am new to RAID 10 and the errors we are getting are very frustrating and do
    >not seem to make sense.
    >
    >Any info will be appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread