Booting from iSCSI HBA? - Storage

This is a discussion on Booting from iSCSI HBA? - Storage ; Hello community Is there already a possibility to boot from SAN using iSCSI technology?...

  1. Booting from iSCSI HBA?

    Hello community

    Is there already a possibility to boot from SAN using iSCSI technology?

  2. Re: Booting from iSCSI HBA?

    Yes, you need to get a logo'ed iSCSI HBA that has a boot bios. There is at
    least one on the market that of which I am aware.

    Alan

    "Steven" wrote in message
    > Hello community
    >
    > Is there already a possibility to boot from SAN using iSCSI technology?

  3. Re: Booting from iSCSI HBA?

    Yes, you need an iSCSI HBA for this.

    See the whitepaper at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...ployiscsi.mspx

    --
    Keith Hageman
    newsgroup purposes only.

    "Steven" wrote in message
    > Hello community
    >
    > Is there already a possibility to boot from SAN using iSCSI technology?

  4. Re: Booting from iSCSI HBA?

    You'll have to grab iSCSI hardware adapter (they are quite cheap at
    ebay these days). Any iSCSI target should support booting from it. If
    you're just experimenting I'd recommend useing UNH iSCSI port for
    Linux and our own StarWind iSCSI target for Windows (our code is also
    free for non-commecial use).

    Regards,
    Anton Kolomyeytsev

    CEO, Rocket Division Software

    Steven wrote in message news:...
    > Hello community
    >
    > Is there already a possibility to boot from SAN using iSCSI technology?

  5. Re: Booting from iSCSI HBA?

    Steven Wrote:
    > Hello community
    >
    > Is there already a possibility to boot from SAN using iSCSI technology?

    Apart from the already mentioned iSCSI TOE you'll need, make sure, tha
    the target supports booting from it. One I know of supporting this i
    the RelData Appliance.
    I'm plaing with in in our Lab and I'm quite happy.

    /dev/nul

    --
    /dev/nul

    /dev/null's Profile: http://www.storagecommunity.com/foru...er.php?userid=
    View this thread: http://www.storagecommunity.com/foru...hread.php?t=15

  6. Re: Booting from iSCSI HBA?

    How it can be physically possible iSCSI target not allowing to boot
    from it? Would you please describe the requirements.

    Thank you!

    /dev/null wrote in message news:...
    > Steven Wrote:
    > > Hello community
    > >
    > > Is there already a possibility to boot from SAN using iSCSI technology?

    > Apart from the already mentioned iSCSI TOE you'll need, make sure, that
    > the target supports booting from it. One I know of supporting this is
    > the RelData Appliance.
    > I'm plaing with in in our Lab and I'm quite happy.
    >
    > /dev/null

  7. Re: Booting from iSCSI HBA?

    "Anton Kolomyeytsev" wrote:

    > How it can be physically possible iSCSI target not allowing to boot
    > from it? Would you please describe the requirements.

    Beats me. EqualLogic's support boot. Sadly, so do our competitors. I can
    imagine it not working if the iSCSI target resides on the same system as the
    initiator -- say if you ran an iSCSI target on a Windows box and wanted to
    connect to one of its targets from that same box. No surprise there.

+ Reply to Thread