Maximum number of disk. - Storage

This is a discussion on Maximum number of disk. - Storage ; Does any one know what's the maximum number of disk that windows 2003 support?...

  1. Maximum number of disk.

    Does any one know what's the maximum number of disk that windows 2003 support?

  2. Re: Maximum number of disk.

    It depends. Do you mean how many physical drives? How are they being
    presented by the HW (i.e. are you using a controller that presents multiple
    drives as a single large image)?

    For a general overview of limits, see:

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...c_fsv_duel.asp

    Pat

    "Min" wrote in message
    > Does any one know what's the maximum number of disk that windows 2003
    > support?

  3. Re: Maximum number of disk.

    Ah.

    The limits are described in Q310072. I would recommend reviewing it as it
    has some regkeys that may be involved here. Also, this is dependent on the
    HBA & Drivers, so you may need to contact your vendor for additional
    information.

    Basically:

    - 8 buses per adapter

    - 128 target IDs per bus

    - 254 LUNs per target ID

    Pat

    "Min" wrote in message
    > Pat: The link you gave to me only has the maximum volume number and volume
    > size, not the disk numbers.
    >
    > "Min" wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, they are physical drives, and they are connected to a HBA in the
    >> server.
    >> And they ARE individule drives, no virtual lun created by controller. To
    >> be
    >> more specific:
    >> I've 16 JOBD, each JOBD has 12 disk, and all of them cascaded and then
    >> connect to a Qlogic HBA. and then on the OS (windows 2003), I can only
    >> see 63
    >> disks.
    >>
    >> "Pat [MSFT]" wrote:
    >>
    >> > It depends. Do you mean how many physical drives? How are they being
    >> > presented by the HW (i.e. are you using a controller that presents
    >> > multiple
    >> > drives as a single large image)?
    >> >
    >> > For a general overview of limits, see:
    >> >
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...c_fsv_duel.asp
    >> >
    >> > Pat
    >> >

    >> > "Min" wrote in message

  4. Re: Maximum number of disk.

    The 128 TIDs per bus is likely to be your problem. You have 192 targets
    attached so I suspect that you are seeing a wraparound effect (192-128 = 64,
    minus one for the adapter).

    Of course, another bigger "hole" in this is that any FC arbitrated loop can
    only support 126 AL_PAs so you have a bunch of disks that are not getting
    assigned target IDs (non-participating).

    Then there's the whole perf quesiton, but I'll leave that alone...

    "Min" wrote in message
    > Thanks a lot Pat, I will give a try.
    >
    > "Pat [MSFT]" wrote:
    >
    >> Ah.
    >>
    >> The limits are described in Q310072. I would recommend reviewing it as
    >> it
    >> has some regkeys that may be involved here. Also, this is dependent on
    >> the
    >> HBA & Drivers, so you may need to contact your vendor for additional
    >> information.
    >>
    >> Basically:
    >>
    >> - 8 buses per adapter
    >>
    >> - 128 target IDs per bus
    >>
    >> - 254 LUNs per target ID
    >>

    >> Pat
    >>

    >> "Min" wrote in message
    >> > Pat: The link you gave to me only has the maximum volume number and
    >> > volume
    >> > size, not the disk numbers.

  5. Re: Maximum number of disk.

    Thanks for everyone's help. the problem is solve. It's a qlogic issue.
    On the qlogic web site, it claims that support up to 256 target and each
    target 256 luns.
    But in reality, if I put more than 64 target on one hba, it will show only 64.

    So I put 4 hba and each one has 48 disks connected and now the OS can see
    192 disks. It's about 6.5 TB total.

    Thanks for the help.

+ Reply to Thread