NT Backup major problem - Storage

This is a discussion on NT Backup major problem - Storage ; Hi there, I'm using NT Backup which came with Storage Server 2003 utility built-in. We're facing extremely difficulties due to backup time. We have approximately 50 GB of data and takes more then 12 hours per day to backup even ...

  1. NT Backup major problem

    Hi there,

    I'm using NT Backup which came with Storage Server 2003 utility built-in.

    We're facing extremely difficulties due to backup time. We have
    approximately 50 GB of data and takes more then 12 hours per day to backup

    even if we do differential backup rather then full-backup. still gets long
    time to handle this scheduled jobs.

    are there any solution or reduce time period and gets better performance to
    backup files?

    We're trying to get NT backup utility to do jobs since we changed the NAS
    solution from Linux based to Windows based server.

    previously, Linux based servers done backups as well. since after changing
    to Windows storage server it's causing problems at all.

    veritas, CA, Emc, is not our choice since cost expensive for our budget.

    any possibility to make faster time for differential backup only will
    appreciate it

  2. Re: NT Backup major problem

    Backup times are a function of file count, overall data size, fragmentation,
    and IO Subsystem. 12 hours for 50GB sounds like something is not working
    correctly. Unless the 50GB is made up of millions of very small files.

    To help much, we need a bit more info. How many files are in that 50GB
    (thousands, millions)? What is the drive subsystem (SATA, RAID)? Have you
    watched the CPU during the backup, and is it abnormal (it should be
    relatively low, if it is >75% that is indicative of a problem)? Are you
    backing up to a file or to tape?

    Pat

    "檜團" wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I'm using NT Backup which came with Storage Server 2003 utility built-in.
    >
    > We're facing extremely difficulties due to backup time. We have
    > approximately 50 GB of data and takes more then 12 hours per day to backup
    >
    > even if we do differential backup rather then full-backup. still gets long
    > time to handle this scheduled jobs.
    >
    > are there any solution or reduce time period and gets better performance
    > backup files?
    >
    > We're trying to get NT backup utility to do jobs since we changed the NAS
    > solution from Linux based to Windows based server.
    >
    > previously, Linux based servers done backups as well. since after changing
    > to Windows storage server it's causing problems at all.
    >
    > veritas, CA, Emc, is not our choice since cost expensive for our budget.
    >
    > any possibility to make faster time for differential backup only will
    > appreciate it

  3. Re: NT Backup major problem

    HI there

    The NT Backup utility is disaster for time duration. I'm sorry but, the
    total amount of size was more then 500 GB and so many .doc , .job .xls files
    with millions files. I had difficulty to wait when clicking the directory
    properties and wait until it counts files and size

    The hardware is like dual Xeon 2.4 CPU with 2 GB DDR memory of DELL PV 775N
    (Windows Storage Server 2003) equipment with external DELL PV 220S storage
    box, 146 GB SCSI disk with Raid5 configuration. total 146GB * 28 Disk all
    with same volume container of RAID 5

    It's terrible to wait while NT backup is running. these days seems taking
    about 1 day (24hours) by now

    Any suggestion to make faster while we run NT Backup program?

    "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    > Backup times are a function of file count, overall data size,

    fragmentation,
    > and IO Subsystem. 12 hours for 50GB sounds like something is not working
    > correctly. Unless the 50GB is made up of millions of very small files.
    >
    > To help much, we need a bit more info. How many files are in that 50GB
    > (thousands, millions)? What is the drive subsystem (SATA, RAID)? Have

    you
    > watched the CPU during the backup, and is it abnormal (it should be
    > relatively low, if it is >75% that is indicative of a problem)? Are you
    > backing up to a file or to tape?
    >

    > Pat
    >

    > "檜團" wrote in message
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > I'm using NT Backup which came with Storage Server 2003 utility

    built-in.

    > > We're facing extremely difficulties due to backup time. We have
    > > approximately 50 GB of data and takes more then 12 hours per day to

    backup

    > > even if we do differential backup rather then full-backup. still gets

    long
    > > time to handle this scheduled jobs.
    > >
    > > are there any solution or reduce time period and gets better performance
    > > backup files?
    > >
    > > We're trying to get NT backup utility to do jobs since we changed the

    NAS
    > > solution from Linux based to Windows based server.
    > >
    > > previously, Linux based servers done backups as well. since after

    changing
    > > to Windows storage server it's causing problems at all.
    > >
    > > veritas, CA, Emc, is not our choice since cost expensive for our budget.
    > >
    > > any possibility to make faster time for differential backup only will
    > > appreciate it

  4. Re: NT Backup major problem

    Sounds like backing up to disk is not too much of an option, due to the
    sheer size... perhaps split the 500GB into more, smaller volumes, and back
    those up at different times... splitting it will also make recovery times
    dramaticlly shorter.

    Many third parties offer the ability to do a raw backup of the disk, which
    is much faster, but only a few can restore at a granular level from those
    raw backups.

    --
    Joseph Hand
    VERITAS Software Corporation

    "檜團" wrote in message
    > HI there
    >
    > The NT Backup utility is disaster for time duration. I'm sorry but, the
    > total amount of size was more then 500 GB and so many .doc , .job .xls
    > files
    > with millions files. I had difficulty to wait when clicking the directory
    > properties and wait until it counts files and size
    >
    > The hardware is like dual Xeon 2.4 CPU with 2 GB DDR memory of DELL PV
    > 775N
    > (Windows Storage Server 2003) equipment with external DELL PV 220S storage
    > box, 146 GB SCSI disk with Raid5 configuration. total 146GB * 28 Disk all
    > with same volume container of RAID 5
    >
    > It's terrible to wait while NT backup is running. these days seems taking
    > about 1 day (24hours) by now
    >

    > Any suggestion to make faster while we run NT Backup program?
    >

    > "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    >> Backup times are a function of file count, overall data size,

    > fragmentation,
    >> and IO Subsystem. 12 hours for 50GB sounds like something is not working
    >> correctly. Unless the 50GB is made up of millions of very small files.
    >>
    >> To help much, we need a bit more info. How many files are in that 50GB
    >> (thousands, millions)? What is the drive subsystem (SATA, RAID)? Have

    > you
    >> watched the CPU during the backup, and is it abnormal (it should be
    >> relatively low, if it is >75% that is indicative of a problem)? Are you
    >> backing up to a file or to tape?
    >>

    >> Pat
    >>

    >> "檜團" wrote in message
    >> > Hi there,
    >> >
    >> > I'm using NT Backup which came with Storage Server 2003 utility

    > built-in.
    >> >
    >> > We're facing extremely difficulties due to backup time. We have
    >> > approximately 50 GB of data and takes more then 12 hours per day to

    > backup
    >> >
    >> > even if we do differential backup rather then full-backup. still gets

    > long
    >> > time to handle this scheduled jobs.
    >> >
    >> > are there any solution or reduce time period and gets better
    >> > performance
    >> > backup files?
    >> >
    >> > We're trying to get NT backup utility to do jobs since we changed the

    > NAS
    >> > solution from Linux based to Windows based server.
    >> >
    >> > previously, Linux based servers done backups as well. since after

    > changing
    >> > to Windows storage server it's causing problems at all.
    >> >
    >> > veritas, CA, Emc, is not our choice since cost expensive for our
    >> > budget.
    >> >
    >> > any possibility to make faster time for differential backup only will
    >> > appreciate it

  5. Re: NT Backup major problem

    The issue is that the files are backed up sequentially. So, for every
    action, you have to multiply it by the file count. For example, assuming
    that you have absolutely no fragmentation in the volume, the disk seek time
    for 1 million files is ~3000 seconds - 50 minutes - (assuming a disk
    subsystem that can maintain 3ms seek average). That is just the time to
    find the first byte, no actual data transfer is included there.

    When you backup large files (e.g. .dat files for SQL or .edb for exchange),
    the main time is spent in data tranfer. In small file size, large file
    count scenarios, the time is spent mostly seeking.

    The best thing to do would be to go with volume based backup (shadow copy),
    then you could back the image off to tape as needed. Clients could
    self-restore specific files as needed and you could archive images for
    longer term storage.

    Alternatively, you could create multiple backup jobs that break the volume
    into multiple pieces (i.e. this would increase the level of parallelism in
    the system and reduce the effect of overhead in the sequential scenario) and
    run multiple instances of NTBackup. This would also allow for a significant
    reduction in getting at least some data back online in the event of a
    catastrophic failure. Obviously, this would increase the complexity of the
    backup management, also you can't backup to the same tape at the same time
    from multiple instances.

    Pat

+ Reply to Thread