Multipathing support in Windows 2003 - Storage

This is a discussion on Multipathing support in Windows 2003 - Storage ; I have read alot on the multipathing capabilities of windows 2003 but still need some answers. 1) does win2003 support multipathing of fibre cards out of the box? 2) do u need vendor drivers for multipathing i.e. MPIO drivers for ...

  1. Multipathing support in Windows 2003

    I have read alot on the multipathing capabilities of windows 2003 but still
    need some answers.

    1) does win2003 support multipathing of fibre cards out of the box?

    2) do u need vendor drivers for multipathing i.e. MPIO drivers for their
    storage

    i would like to move away from vendor specific solutions like HP's secure
    path but is this possible.

  2. Re: Multipathing support in Windows 2003

    No, MPIO is not an inbox solution. At this point it requires vendors to
    implement one (of four) drivers and provide the installation routine. In the
    case of HP specifically, MPIO solutions are available for download from

    http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/s...s/windows.html

    "epping" wrote in message
    news69F75B0-7995-433F-9D68-7ECED6248460@microsoft.com...
    >I have read alot on the multipathing capabilities of windows 2003 but still
    > need some answers.
    >
    > 1) does win2003 support multipathing of fibre cards out of the box?
    >
    > 2) do u need vendor drivers for multipathing i.e. MPIO drivers for their
    > storage
    >
    > i would like to move away from vendor specific solutions like HP's secure
    > path but is this possible.

  3. Re: Multipathing support in Windows 2003

    Sorry, hit the send key too early - these solutions from HP only provide
    what they call "basic failover" and no configurability. This is an HP
    marketing decision, not a limitation in MPIO. Other vendors have more
    complete offerings.

    Another point - MPIO is not an HBA failover/load balance solution. It is on
    a per LUN basis.

    "Jeff Goldner [MS]" wrote in message
    > No, MPIO is not an inbox solution. At this point it requires vendors to
    > implement one (of four) drivers and provide the installation routine. In
    > the case of HP specifically, MPIO solutions are available for download
    > from
    >
    > http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/s...s/windows.html
    >
    > "epping" wrote in message
    > news69F75B0-7995-433F-9D68-7ECED6248460@microsoft.com...
    >>I have read alot on the multipathing capabilities of windows 2003 but
    >>still
    >> need some answers.
    >>
    >> 1) does win2003 support multipathing of fibre cards out of the box?
    >>
    >> 2) do u need vendor drivers for multipathing i.e. MPIO drivers for their
    >> storage
    >>
    >> i would like to move away from vendor specific solutions like HP's secure
    >> path but is this possible.

+ Reply to Thread