New Purchase - Storage

This is a discussion on New Purchase - Storage ; I'm looking at some extra capacity for a business. Either buying a standard server with large disks or looking at NAS. I personally prefer a dedicating a server for this task, but is NAS a real advantage? Are they easy ...

  1. New Purchase

    I'm looking at some extra capacity for a business. Either buying a standard
    server with large disks or looking at NAS. I personally prefer a dedicating
    a server for this task, but is NAS a real advantage? Are they easy to
    manage and reliable? What would it give me that a standard server doesnt?

  2. Re: New Purchase

    NAS is just easier to deploy and maintain, and more task-specific IMHO than
    a general purpose file and print server.
    The advantage would be that you don't have to develop settings and software
    etc for a server. Can be cheaper in the long run as well.

    Think of NAS as a subset of the features you get with a standard server.
    For example, you would never deploy a NAS device as an application server
    later. No repurposing.

    "Seb" wrote in message
    > I'm looking at some extra capacity for a business. Either buying a
    > standard
    > server with large disks or looking at NAS. I personally prefer a
    > dedicating
    > a server for this task, but is NAS a real advantage? Are they easy to
    > manage and reliable? What would it give me that a standard server doesnt?

+ Reply to Thread