To an extent.

If it's not part of an Active Directory then all of the user names will need
to be kept on it, and people on the XP machines will need to log into it
when they want access, but on an AD domain they just log on to their
computer and have access to the resources

--
--Jonathan Maltz [Microsoft MVP - Windows Server - IIS, Virtual PC]
http://www.visualwin.com - A Windows Server 2003 visual, step-by-step