nas solutions - Storage

This is a discussion on nas solutions - Storage ; Hi, We want to implement a NAS in our organisation (800 employees). On this NAS all our data (files, exchange etc.) must be stored. Wat can I do to make sure employees can use the data in case the NAS ...

  1. nas solutions

    Hi,

    We want to implement a NAS in our organisation (800 employees).
    On this NAS all our data (files, exchange etc.) must be stored.
    Wat can I do to make sure employees can use the data in case the NAS goes
    down?
    Must I then cluster my NAS??
    I'm a newbie in this, please help.

    Ramon

  2. Re: nas solutions

    Hi Ramon

    there is one thing i think you should be aware of. What Version of Exchange
    are you using?
    As long as you provide storage capacity out of your NAS via shares, there
    is no way to install the Exchange 2000 Informationstore on a NAS device.
    The only way to accomblish this is to provide blockbased capacity, i.e.
    your NAS has to support acting as an iSCSI target. Not sure, whether WSS
    supports this by default and if, how performant this solution is.

    If you have Exchange 5.5, go ahead, this works fine. I'm not sure for
    Exchange 2003, but as far as I know, it's like Ex2000

    Andre

    "Ramon Niese" wrote in news:OUVNhtQiEHA.592
    @TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl:

    > Hi,
    >
    > We want to implement a NAS in our organisation (800 employees).
    > On this NAS all our data (files, exchange etc.) must be stored.
    > Wat can I do to make sure employees can use the data in case the NAS goes
    > down?
    > Must I then cluster my NAS??
    > I'm a newbie in this, please help.
    >
    > Ramon

  3. Re: nas solutions

    stupid me .... or you've got a provider who licensed Microsofts Feature
    Pack.

    Andre

    In article ,
    andre@storagecommunity.com says...
    > Hi Ramon
    >
    > there is one thing i think you should be aware of. What Version of Exchange
    > are you using?
    > As long as you provide storage capacity out of your NAS via shares, there
    > is no way to install the Exchange 2000 Informationstore on a NAS device.
    > The only way to accomblish this is to provide blockbased capacity, i.e.
    > your NAS has to support acting as an iSCSI target. Not sure, whether WSS
    > supports this by default and if, how performant this solution is.
    >
    > If you have Exchange 5.5, go ahead, this works fine. I'm not sure for
    > Exchange 2003, but as far as I know, it's like Ex2000
    >
    > Andre

  4. Re: nas solutions

    It is important that you have redundancy in your NAS solution,

    Clustering will go some way to doing this however your storage will still be
    a single point of failure.

    here is the solution i have designed

    two lots of storage (we use hp msa1500) two NAS headers.

    Place half your data on one NAS and half on the other, use Double Take
    replication software to replicate the data to each NAS. if you lose one NAS
    you can still cay on working, a much better redundacy option than clustering .

+ Reply to Thread