DHCP Server Service - Storage

This is a discussion on DHCP Server Service - Storage ; Can Microsoft's DHCP Server service be installed and managed on Windows Storage Server 2003? Thinking of using Storage Server in a remote branch office and would like to be able to provide DHCP addresses to clients in addition to file ...

  1. DHCP Server Service

    Can Microsoft's DHCP Server service be installed and managed on Windows
    Storage Server 2003? Thinking of using Storage Server in a remote branch
    office and would like to be able to provide DHCP addresses to clients in
    addition to file and print services.

    --
    Thanks,
    Gary

  2. Re: DHCP Server Service

    Windows Storage Server 2003 is only available for file/print sharing
    functions (sharing, AV scanning, etc.). Unfortunately, DHCP falls outside
    of that scope (as does AD, etc.).

    Pat

    "GS" wrote in message
    > Can Microsoft's DHCP Server service be installed and managed on Windows
    > Storage Server 2003? Thinking of using Storage Server in a remote branch
    > office and would like to be able to provide DHCP addresses to clients in
    > addition to file and print services.
    >
    > --
    > Thanks,
    > Gary

  3. Re: DHCP Server Service

    I must retract this. I apologize for the confusion, but DHCP is OK. AD is
    not.

    Pat

    "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    > Windows Storage Server 2003 is only available for file/print sharing
    > functions (sharing, AV scanning, etc.). Unfortunately, DHCP falls outside
    > of that scope (as does AD, etc.).
    >

    > Pat
    >
    > "GS" wrote in message
    >> Can Microsoft's DHCP Server service be installed and managed on Windows
    >> Storage Server 2003? Thinking of using Storage Server in a remote branch
    >> office and would like to be able to provide DHCP addresses to clients in
    >> addition to file and print services.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Thanks,
    >> Gary

  4. Re: DHCP Server Service

    To clarify this, I can set up Storage Server to provide DHCP server
    functionality. Can you point me to documentation on how to do this, please?

    --

    Gary
    Gary@theStreks.org

    "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    >I must retract this. I apologize for the confusion, but DHCP is OK. AD is
    >not.
    >
    > Pat
    >
    > "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    >> Windows Storage Server 2003 is only available for file/print sharing
    >> functions (sharing, AV scanning, etc.). Unfortunately, DHCP falls
    >> outside of that scope (as does AD, etc.).
    >>

    >> Pat
    >>
    >> "GS" wrote in message
    >>> Can Microsoft's DHCP Server service be installed and managed on Windows
    >>> Storage Server 2003? Thinking of using Storage Server in a remote
    >>> branch office and would like to be able to provide DHCP addresses to
    >>> clients in addition to file and print services.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Gary

  5. Re: DHCP Server Service

    Although I find this very interesting, installing DHCP services on a remote
    branch site device, I'm wondering about the logic of this. Gary, it seems
    that would cause a lot more troubleshooting than packets would over a WAN
    link.

    Is this one of those situations where it makes sense to decentralize DHCP
    for the sake of putting it on a remote device?

    "GS" wrote in message
    > To clarify this, I can set up Storage Server to provide DHCP server
    > functionality. Can you point me to documentation on how to do this,

    please?

    > --
    >
    > Gary
    > Gary@theStreks.org
    > 313-417-2286
    >

    > "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    > >I must retract this. I apologize for the confusion, but DHCP is OK. AD

    is
    > >not.
    > >
    > > Pat
    > >
    > > "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    > >> Windows Storage Server 2003 is only available for file/print sharing
    > >> functions (sharing, AV scanning, etc.). Unfortunately, DHCP falls
    > >> outside of that scope (as does AD, etc.).
    > >>

    > >> Pat
    > >>
    > >> "GS" wrote in message

    Windows

  6. Re: DHCP Server Service

    Your OEM will need to have included DHCP-Server in the image provided with
    the box (not all do). If the service is installed, you need only turn it on
    and configure it just as you would with Windows Server 2003. I would
    recommend contacting your OEM to see if it is supported on your machine.

    Pat

    "GS" wrote in message
    > To clarify this, I can set up Storage Server to provide DHCP server
    > functionality. Can you point me to documentation on how to do this,
    > please?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Gary
    > Gary@theStreks.org
    > 313-417-2286
    >

    > "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    >>I must retract this. I apologize for the confusion, but DHCP is OK. AD
    >>is not.
    >>
    >> Pat
    >>
    >> "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    >>> Windows Storage Server 2003 is only available for file/print sharing
    >>> functions (sharing, AV scanning, etc.). Unfortunately, DHCP falls
    >>> outside of that scope (as does AD, etc.).
    >>>

    >>> Pat
    >>>
    >>> "GS" wrote in message

  7. Re: DHCP Server Service

    centralizing the DHCP Server makes sense in some circumstances. From my
    point of view it depends on what kind of WAN connection they've got. If
    it's a leased line (always up), than I'd centralice it, but if it's "dial
    on demand" like a ISDN channel, then I would decentralice it in order to
    prevent the router from opening up the circuit every time a client does a
    dhcp request.

    Andre
    http://storagecommunity.com

    "Al Mulnick" wrote in

    > Although I find this very interesting, installing DHCP services on a
    > remote branch site device, I'm wondering about the logic of this.
    > Gary, it seems that would cause a lot more troubleshooting than
    > packets would over a WAN link.
    >
    > Is this one of those situations where it makes sense to decentralize
    > DHCP for the sake of putting it on a remote device?
    >

    > "GS" wrote in message

+ Reply to Thread