iscsi microsoft cluster - Storage

This is a discussion on iscsi microsoft cluster - Storage ; hello, is it possible to create a MSCS cluster with two 2K3 servers in a domain, Microsoft iscsi initiator v. 1.05 installed on them, and an iscsi target available through StarWind, from Rocket Division Software, on a third Windows 2000 ...

  1. iscsi microsoft cluster

    hello,

    is it possible to create a MSCS cluster with two 2K3 servers in a domain,
    Microsoft iscsi initiator v. 1.05 installed on them, and an iscsi target
    available through StarWind, from Rocket Division Software, on a third
    Windows 2000 computer (the disk available through StarWind is an IDE disk) ?

    I'm having some problems creating the cluster, and wanted to know if someone
    else has managed and how

    thanx

    andrea

  2. Re: iscsi microsoft cluster

    Hi Andrea,

    Yes, all you mentioned is possible with latest Rocket Division
    Software iSCSI Server (StarWind) since build 0x20040807.
    There was a bug in the previous release of RDS StarWind that didn't
    allow it to work well with MSCS.
    The fixed verson of StarWind will be available for download in 24
    hours.
    Please visit http://www.RocketDivision.com to get the last news about
    the subject.

    Howto build a cluster (in two words):
    1) Install MS iSCSI initiator (it can be any other initiator, for
    example, RDS StarPort) on both of your Win2003 Enterprise Edition
    servers.
    2) Install RDS StarWind server to your storage server.
    3) Create a hard drive iSCSI target with StarWind. For now you can do
    this "by hands". Just add a line like follows to your StarWind.conf
    file:
    add ImageFile1 -file:"j:\temp\image1.dat" -clustered:yes
    and restart your StarWindService.
    4) On one of your Win2003 machines mount the remote disc with MS iSCSI
    initiator. Don't forget to mark the device as a "Persistent Target".
    5) Make a partition, format it to NTFS and assign a drive letter.
    6) Dismount the target from the server with MS iSCSI GUI and mount it
    from the other one as a persistent target too and assign the same
    drive letter for it.
    7) Then mount the disc from the first server again.
    8) Start Cluster Administrator and follow the MS's instructions howto
    create a cluster with physical disk quorum. Use the StarWind based
    volume as your Quorum device.
    9) Add the second node to the cluster.
    10) The cluster should be OK after the previous steps.

    I hope this information will help you a bit.

    If you have any questions please fill free to ask them in the
    RocketDivision StarWind Forum.

    Best regards,
    Valeriy Glushkov
    http://www.RocketDivision.com

    > is it possible to create a MSCS cluster with two 2K3 servers in a domain,
    > Microsoft iscsi initiator v. 1.05 installed on them, and an iscsi target
    > available through StarWind, from Rocket Division Software, on a third
    > Windows 2000 computer (the disk available through StarWind is an IDE disk) ?
    >
    > I'm having some problems creating the cluster, and wanted to know if someone
    > else has managed and how
    >
    > thanx
    >
    > andrea

+ Reply to Thread