NT Backup - Storage

This is a discussion on NT Backup - Storage ; Hi, My company is looking at purchasing a NAS with Windows Storage Server 2003 installed on it. All the versions of Windows Server so far have included a very useful utility called NT Backup (which lives in Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Backup). In ...

  1. NT Backup

    Hi,

    My company is looking at purchasing a NAS with Windows Storage Server
    2003 installed on it.

    All the versions of Windows Server so far have included a very useful
    utility called NT Backup (which lives in
    Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Backup).

    In the past I have always had to install it from the relevant Windows
    Server CD. Does Storage Server also include the NT Backup utility?

    If for some reason the utility is not available in Storage Server, can
    the version from Windows 2000 Server be installed and used?

    Many thanks for all your help,

    Gareth Watson.

  2. Re: NT Backup

    Yes, Storage Server includes NTBackup. If it is not installed, it'll be on
    the CD. Look for it in the came location, under System Tools. Also, it has a
    pretty good CLI that will allow you to script and schedule the backups for
    that host. If you want more of a centralized approcach, check out any third
    pary backup vendor like VERITAS, CA, EMC, CommVault, etc... They [ we
    -) ] all do a bit more on the centralization and management end.

    --
    Joseph Hand
    VERITAS Software Corporation

    "Gareth Watson" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > My company is looking at purchasing a NAS with Windows Storage Server
    > 2003 installed on it.
    >
    > All the versions of Windows Server so far have included a very useful
    > utility called NT Backup (which lives in
    > Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->Backup).
    >
    > In the past I have always had to install it from the relevant Windows
    > Server CD. Does Storage Server also include the NT Backup utility?
    >
    > If for some reason the utility is not available in Storage Server, can
    > the version from Windows 2000 Server be installed and used?
    >
    > Many thanks for all your help,
    >
    > Gareth Watson.

  3. Re: NT Backup

    Thanks very much. We are going to use NT Backup to transfer thousands
    of small files to our NAS and then restore them on the NAS. For
    general backup work we use Backup Exec which we have found more than
    adequate for managing our tape library. I am hoping it will be just as
    efficient using the new NAS instead of tapes.

    Thanks again for your help,

    Gareth.

    Joseph J. Hand wrote:

    > Yes, Storage Server includes NTBackup. If it is not installed, it'll
    > be on the CD. Look for it in the came location, under System Tools.
    > Also, it has a pretty good CLI that will allow you to script and
    > schedule the backups for that host. If you want more of a centralized
    > approcach, check out any third pary backup vendor like VERITAS, CA,
    > EMC, CommVault, etc... They [ we -) ] all do a bit more on the
    > centralization and management end.

  4. Re: NT Backup

    Hi Gareth

    if you're talking about thousends of small files, you might want to look
    into a backup software which supports some kind of "image option" in
    order to get the best backup performance. Backing up thousands of small
    files could take much longer than backing up the same amount of capacity
    spread over larger files. Therefore, an image option will wrap them
    together on the server itself, before they get transmitted to the backup
    device of your choice. This reduces your backup window and increases
    your backup performance. Not sure about veritas and BackupExec, bit CA
    and BAB definitly do.

    Andre

    --
    -------
    out out, you daemons of stupidity!

    In article <2mn0b4Fo71ctU1@uni-berlin.de>, gw-ext@abs-ltd.com says...
    > Thanks very much. We are going to use NT Backup to transfer thousands
    > of small files to our NAS and then restore them on the NAS. For
    > general backup work we use Backup Exec which we have found more than
    > adequate for managing our tape library. I am hoping it will be just as
    > efficient using the new NAS instead of tapes.
    >
    > Thanks again for your help,
    >
    > Gareth.

+ Reply to Thread