Multi-pathing - Storage

This is a discussion on Multi-pathing - Storage ; I have a Windows 2003 server, HP ML370, 2 Emulex HBA. I am trying to get failover to work. Is there settings I have to make in WIndows 2003 registry?...

  1. Multi-pathing

    I have a Windows 2003 server, HP ML370, 2 Emulex HBA. I am trying to get
    failover to work. Is there settings I have to make in WIndows 2003
    registry?

  2. Re: Multi-pathing

    What SAN vendor are you using? Is everything configured on both ends for
    that?

    "Bad Beagle" wrote in message
    > I have a Windows 2003 server, HP ML370, 2 Emulex HBA. I am trying to get
    > failover to work. Is there settings I have to make in WIndows 2003
    > registry?

  3. Re: Multi-pathing

    I am using an IBM FastT and I am using the RDAC 8.6 client with that.
    "Al Mulnick" wrote in message
    > What SAN vendor are you using? Is everything configured on both ends for
    > that?
    >
    > "Bad Beagle" wrote in message
    > > I have a Windows 2003 server, HP ML370, 2 Emulex HBA. I am trying to

    get
    > > failover to work. Is there settings I have to make in WIndows 2003
    > > registry?

  4. Re: Multi-pathing

    Sorry, there are many versions of FastT storage from IBM. Which one are you
    using?

    The multipath software would come from IBM and would mesh with the FastT
    product line if they make one; I'm not familiar with FastT, but it doesn't
    appear to be their SAN offering.

    Al
    "Bad Beagle" wrote in message
    > I am using an IBM FastT and I am using the RDAC 8.6 client with that.
    > "Al Mulnick" wrote in message
    > > What SAN vendor are you using? Is everything configured on both ends

    for
    > > that?
    > >
    > > "Bad Beagle" wrote in message
    > > > I have a Windows 2003 server, HP ML370, 2 Emulex HBA. I am trying to

    > get
    > > > failover to work. Is there settings I have to make in WIndows 2003
    > > > registry?

  5. Re: Multi-pathing

    IBM configures FAStT with QLogic adapters and all of their documentation
    appears to refer to that. It does not appear that you can use Emulex wtih
    FAStT. This page has more information

    http://knowledge.storage.ibm.com/HBA/HBASearchTool

    Jeff [MSFT]

    "Al Mulnick" wrote in message
    > Sorry, there are many versions of FastT storage from IBM. Which one are
    > you
    > using?
    >
    > The multipath software would come from IBM and would mesh with the FastT
    > product line if they make one; I'm not familiar with FastT, but it doesn't
    > appear to be their SAN offering.
    >
    > Al
    > "Bad Beagle" wrote in message
    >> I am using an IBM FastT and I am using the RDAC 8.6 client with that.
    >> "Al Mulnick" wrote in message
    >> > What SAN vendor are you using? Is everything configured on both ends

    > for
    >> > that?
    >> >
    >> > "Bad Beagle" wrote in message

    >> get

  6. Re: Multi-pathing

    Additionally, the docs indicate that the drivers come from IBM and are in
    the RDAC component of Storage Manager Client. Once you get changed over to
    different HBA's, that's the place to look for your settings.

    "Jeff Goldner [MS]" wrote in message
    > IBM configures FAStT with QLogic adapters and all of their documentation
    > appears to refer to that. It does not appear that you can use Emulex wtih
    > FAStT. This page has more information
    >
    > http://knowledge.storage.ibm.com/HBA/HBASearchTool
    >
    > Jeff [MSFT]
    >
    > "Al Mulnick" wrote in message
    > > Sorry, there are many versions of FastT storage from IBM. Which one are
    > > you
    > > using?
    > >
    > > The multipath software would come from IBM and would mesh with the FastT
    > > product line if they make one; I'm not familiar with FastT, but it

    doesn't
    > > appear to be their SAN offering.
    > >
    > > Al
    > > "Bad Beagle" wrote in message
    > >> I am using an IBM FastT and I am using the RDAC 8.6 client with that.
    > >> "Al Mulnick" wrote in message

    > > for

    > >> get

  7. Re: Multi-pathing

    IBM typically uses QLogic HBA's in their Servers and HP uses both,
    Emulex and QLogic. In order to provide Multipathing and failover you'll
    need a DMP Agent (is this, what RDAC is doing? I never heard RDAC)

    The QLogic DMP Software is free of charge, the Emulex one gets currently
    shipped only to OEM's (like HP (but they sell their own one)

    If you don't have DMP, go and chnage the HBA's to QLogic and use the IBM
    or QLOGIC DMP, or stay with the Emulex cards and buy a 3rd party DMP
    Software (e.g. DotHill which is the OEM for SToragetek and NetApp's
    DMP).
    I'd do the 2nd option, but again, that's my opinion.

    Andre

    --
    -------
    out out, you daemons of stupidity!

  8. Re: Multi-pathing

    The only RDAC client I am aware of is for StorageTex disk frames, lik
    the D280, or Bladestor. Definitely check with the vendor of your dis
    frame (IBM?) to find out what their best practice for DMP software is

    -Dennis

    Bad Beagle wrote:
    > *I am using an IBM FastT and I am using the RDAC 8.6 client wit
    > that.
    > "Al Mulnick" wrote in message
    > > What SAN vendor are you using? Is everything configured on bot

    > ends for
    > > that?
    > >
    > > "Bad Beagle" wrote in message

    > get[vbcol=seagreen]