Slow File Server Performance and Delays when working with files W2K3 File Server - Storage

This is a discussion on Slow File Server Performance and Delays when working with files W2K3 File Server - Storage ; Hi I experience an unexpectedly long delay when open, save, close or delete files that are located on a shared resource, I have searched MS knowledgebase articles and found the following: - http://support.microsoft.com/default...uct=winsvr2003 However, I don't have any third party ...

  1. Slow File Server Performance and Delays when working with files W2K3 File Server

    Hi

    I experience an unexpectedly long delay when open, save, close or delete
    files that are located on a shared resource, I have searched MS
    knowledgebase articles and found the following: -

    http://support.microsoft.com/default...uct=winsvr2003

    However, I don't have any third party programs installed on the file, it's a
    dedicated storage/file server. Workstations are running WIN2k and XP Pro,
    when users connect to there home directories and execute a file (office
    docs) there is at least a 15 second delay before the file appears.

    I was speaking with Microsoft concerning this and it was apparently quite
    common so I was sent various hotfixes all of which didn't improve things.
    It was left with them to investigate and I haven't heard back since.

    Any help with this will be appreciated.

    --

    Mark

  2. Re: Slow File Server Performance and Delays when working with files W2K3 File Server

    Hi,

    Thanks for the reply, the issue occurs the first time an office doc is
    opened, thereafter all other documents open instantaneously. If the share
    is left redundant for 15 minutes, the same occurs. text files open
    immediately with no problems.

    CPU on the server remains consistently low, from when I open an office
    document to when the file appears, it's do's however spike to 4% from 0%
    when the file actually appears on the client workstation.

    This really frustrating, it's not the network as we recently upgraded to
    cisco 2950's with GBIC an there's heaps of bandwidth available.

    Any other ideas.

    Mark
    --

    Regards

    "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    > The problem is that the symptom is very generic (slow access) and can be
    > caused by lots and lots of things (name resolution, delays in
    > authentication, network issues, AV software locking, etc., etc.). The KB
    > referenced really only applies if the Server is under remarkable stress.
    >
    > Does the issue only occur the first time the user opens a file? Does the
    > second open occur much faster?
    >
    > Does the issue only occur for Office docs? What about a .txt file?
    >
    > What is the CPU on the server doing at the time of the file opens? Is is
    > maxed out?
    >

    > Pat
    >
    > "Mark French" wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I experience an unexpectedly long delay when open, save, close or delete
    > > files that are located on a shared resource, I have searched MS
    > > knowledgebase articles and found the following: -

    http://support.microsoft.com/default...uct=winsvr2003

    > > However, I don't have any third party programs installed on the file,

    it's
    > > dedicated storage/file server. Workstations are running WIN2k and XP

    Pro,
    > > when users connect to there home directories and execute a file (office
    > > docs) there is at least a 15 second delay before the file appears.
    > >
    > > I was speaking with Microsoft concerning this and it was apparently

    quite
    > > common so I was sent various hotfixes all of which didn't improve

    things.
    > > It was left with them to investigate and I haven't heard back since.
    > >
    > > Any help with this will be appreciated.
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Mark

  3. Re: Slow File Server Performance and Delays when working with files W2K3 File Server

    Well, it could be several things. Since .txt files aren't affected that
    limits the probabilities.

    One thought is the AV software and/or backup software causing a problem:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks for the reply, the issue occurs the first time an office doc is
    > opened, thereafter all other documents open instantaneously. If the share
    > is left redundant for 15 minutes, the same occurs. text files open
    > immediately with no problems.
    >
    > CPU on the server remains consistently low, from when I open an office
    > document to when the file appears, it's do's however spike to 4% from 0%
    > when the file actually appears on the client workstation.
    >
    > This really frustrating, it's not the network as we recently upgraded to
    > cisco 2950's with GBIC an there's heaps of bandwidth available.
    >
    > Any other ideas.
    >
    > Mark
    > --
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    > > The problem is that the symptom is very generic (slow access) and can be
    > > caused by lots and lots of things (name resolution, delays in
    > > authentication, network issues, AV software locking, etc., etc.). The

    KB
    > > referenced really only applies if the Server is under remarkable stress.
    > >
    > > Does the issue only occur the first time the user opens a file? Does

    the
    > > second open occur much faster?
    > >
    > > Does the issue only occur for Office docs? What about a .txt file?
    > >
    > > What is the CPU on the server doing at the time of the file opens? Is

    is
    > > maxed out?
    > >

    > > Pat
    > >
    > > "Mark French" wrote in message
    > > > Hi
    > > >
    > > > I experience an unexpectedly long delay when open, save, close or

    delete
    > > > files that are located on a shared resource, I have searched MS
    > > > knowledgebase articles and found the following: -

    http://support.microsoft.com/default...uct=winsvr2003

    > > > However, I don't have any third party programs installed on the file,

    > it's
    > > > dedicated storage/file server. Workstations are running WIN2k and XP

    > Pro,
    > > > when users connect to there home directories and execute a file

    (office
    > > > docs) there is at least a 15 second delay before the file appears.
    > > >
    > > > I was speaking with Microsoft concerning this and it was apparently

    > quite
    > > > common so I was sent various hotfixes all of which didn't improve

    > things.
    > > > It was left with them to investigate and I haven't heard back since.
    > > >
    > > > Any help with this will be appreciated.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > >
    > > > Mark

  4. Re: Slow File Server Performance and Delays when working with files W2K3 File Server

    I have a an issue on a clients network which has a Windows Smal
    Business Server 2003 Server, and about 25 workstations running XP
    2000 both running the latest service packs.

    Opening files is normal, copying files is normal, but saving file
    takes up 100% CPU utilzation in task manager while saving, and th
    saving can take from 40 seconds to 2 minutes.

    Any ideas?

    Tried replacing nic's, tried disabling smb signing on client an
    server, nothing seems to work.

    Jesse

    Eagle Owl wrote:
    > *Greetings,
    >
    > I apologize for butting-in to this conversation!
    >
    > We have a similar problem to Mark French - slow opening files.
    >
    > In our case, we have two terminal servers - one of which we'v
    > recently upgraded to Windows 2003, the other still is at Window
    > 2000.
    >
    > Since the upgrade, we've noticed that files are slow to open - M
    > Office, Adobe PDFs, Notepad text files, etc.
    >
    > Double-clicking on a text file, for example, takes 15-30 seconds t
    > open it.
    >
    > Open Notepad first, drag-and-drop the text file in it and it's ope
    > instantly.
    >
    > Even with Notepad open first, double-clicking on the text file stil
    > takes 15-30 seconds.
    >
    > These tests give the same results in Adobe, MS Office, etc.
    >
    > We know it's something to do with Windows 2003 - before the upgrade
    > neither terminal server with Windows 2000 had this problem.
    >
    > Like Mark, we've contacted MS and gone through the process o
    > installing various hotfixes without success - MS are still working o
    > it!
    >
    > I was intrigued by your comment, Pat, regarding "since text file
    > aren't affected that limits the probabilities" - what probabilitie
    > would also explain Adobe/text/etc files being affected as well as M
    > Office?
    >
    > We'd welcome any ideas!
    >
    > Kindest regards,
    >
    > James

    -
    jessecoo

  5. Re: Slow File Server Performance and Delays when working with files W2K3 File Server

    Greetings,

    I apologize for butting-in to this conversation!

    We have a similar problem to Mark French - slow opening files.

    In our case, we have two terminal servers - one of which we've recentl
    upgraded to Windows 2003, the other still is at Windows 2000.

    Pat [MSFT] wrote:
    > *Well, it could be several things. Since .txt files aren't affecte
    > that
    > limits the probabilities.
    >
    > One thought is the AV software and/or backup software causing
    > problem:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/3vbgj
    >
    > Pat
    >

    > "Mark French" wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Thanks for the reply, the issue occurs the first time an office do

    > is
    > > opened, thereafter all other documents open instantaneously. I

    > the share
    > > is left redundant for 15 minutes, the same occurs. text files open
    > > immediately with no problems.
    > >
    > > CPU on the server remains consistently low, from when I open a

    > office
    > > document to when the file appears, it's do's however spike to 4

    > from 0%
    > > when the file actually appears on the client workstation.
    > >
    > > This really frustrating, it's not the network as we recentl

    > upgraded to
    > > cisco 2950's with GBIC an there's heaps of bandwidth available.
    > >
    > > Any other ideas.
    > >
    > > Mark
    > > --
    > >
    > > Regards
    > >
    > > "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message

    > KB[vbcol=seagreen]
    > the[vbcol=seagreen]
    > is[vbcol=seagreen]
    > delete[vbcol=seagreen]
    > >

    > http://tinyurl.com/5nn8l
    > > it's
    > > Pro,

    > (office[vbcol=seagreen]
    > > quite
    > > things.

    -
    Eagle Ow

  6. Re: Slow File Server Performance and Delays when working with files W2K3 File Server

    Which machine (client or server) is using 100% CPU?

    Pat

    "jessecook" wrote in message

    > I have a an issue on a clients network which has a Windows Small
    > Business Server 2003 Server, and about 25 workstations running XP &
    > 2000 both running the latest service packs.
    >
    > Opening files is normal, copying files is normal, but saving files
    > takes up 100% CPU utilzation in task manager while saving, and the
    > saving can take from 40 seconds to 2 minutes.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Tried replacing nic's, tried disabling smb signing on client and
    > server, nothing seems to work.
    >
    > Jesse
    >

    > Eagle Owl wrote:
    >> *Greetings,
    >>
    >> I apologize for butting-in to this conversation!
    >>
    >> We have a similar problem to Mark French - slow opening files.
    >>
    >> In our case, we have two terminal servers - one of which we've
    >> recently upgraded to Windows 2003, the other still is at Windows
    >> 2000.
    >>
    >> Since the upgrade, we've noticed that files are slow to open - MS
    >> Office, Adobe PDFs, Notepad text files, etc.
    >>
    >> Double-clicking on a text file, for example, takes 15-30 seconds to
    >> open it.
    >>
    >> Open Notepad first, drag-and-drop the text file in it and it's open
    >> instantly.
    >>
    >> Even with Notepad open first, double-clicking on the text file still
    >> takes 15-30 seconds.
    >>
    >> These tests give the same results in Adobe, MS Office, etc.
    >>
    >> We know it's something to do with Windows 2003 - before the upgrade,
    >> neither terminal server with Windows 2000 had this problem.
    >>
    >> Like Mark, we've contacted MS and gone through the process of
    >> installing various hotfixes without success - MS are still working on
    >> it!
    >>
    >> I was intrigued by your comment, Pat, regarding "since text files
    >> aren't affected that limits the probabilities" - what probabilities
    >> would also explain Adobe/text/etc files being affected as well as MS
    >> Office?
    >>
    >> We'd welcome any ideas!
    >>
    >> Kindest regards,
    >>
    >> James *

    > --
    > jessecook

  7. Re: Slow File Server Performance and Delays when working with files W2K3 File Server

    Office files create a second temporary file as part of their editing process
    (as do many other document apps). Notepad does not. So, often times it is
    this file creation that causes an issue b/c of AV software problems, backup
    apps that have open file backup issues, etc. There have also been issues
    (since resolved) in some Office (and other apps) with opening files over a
    network. Therefore if notepad does not exhibit the issue, then the number
    of possible issues is somewhat smaller.

    As to this problem, which client OS are you using?

    Pat