Invalid System Disk - Storage

This is a discussion on Invalid System Disk - Storage ; I have a Windows XP computer that gives an "Invalid System Disk" error when it attempts to boot. I can boot off of a Windows 98 floppy and browse the drive and the files are all there and they look ...

  1. Invalid System Disk

    I have a Windows XP computer that gives an "Invalid System Disk" error when it attempts to boot. I can boot off of a Windows 98 floppy and browse the drive and the files are all there and they look okay. I ran diagnostics on the drive and it passed all the tests. I then placed the drive in another computer and scanned for viruses. A couple of Trojans were found and that was it.

    It appears there's a problem with the boot sector, or the Windows XP boot files. I'm not sure how to fix this. I placed the drive back in it's computer and booted off the Windows 98 floppy and ran the fdisk /mbr command. The command ran without an error but it didn't solve the problem. I then tried the Sys A: C: command. I know this works for Windows 9x, but I doubt it should be used on Windows XP. Maybe I made the problem worst. The computer will now boot off the hard drive, but it shows the Windows 98 splash screen and then goes to a C: prompt. I can see the files with the dir command, but I don't know how to restore the Windows XP boot files. Is there an XP equivalent to the Sys command? Any ideas would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Steve Smith

  2. Re: Invalid System Disk

    Boot from the XP install CD and select R for repair to boot the Recovery
    Console. Then use "fixboot" and "fixmbr" to fix the boot record.

    More info on the Recovery Console can be found here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...e_overview.asp

    -Charlie

    "Steve Smith" wrote in message
[...]

+ Reply to Thread