Microsoft Windows Powered NAS Dell device - Storage

This is a discussion on Microsoft Windows Powered NAS Dell device - Storage ; Hello, Has anyone attempted to use Windows Update on a NAS device with a "Windows Powered" Device? I just purchased a 725 DELL PowerVault, it's a nice 500 gig NAS box, that came with Windows Powered running on it. Problem ...

  1. Microsoft Windows Powered NAS Dell device

    Hello,

    Has anyone attempted to use Windows Update on a NAS device with a
    "Windows Powered" Device? I just purchased a 725 DELL PowerVault,
    it's a nice 500 gig NAS box, that came with Windows Powered running on
    it.

    Problem is, it is incompatible with WindowsUpdate, and it is telling
    me that I have SQL 2000 on my machine and it hasn't been patched with
    the Blaster virus fix.

    Dell tells me that if I go ahead and patch it, my machine will be
    unusable. Microsoft is telling me that in this case I don't need to
    patch it because "Windows Powered" is actually Windows Advanced Server
    2000 SP4. However, moving forward, how will windowsupdate support
    these devices?

    -Scott

  2. Re: Microsoft Windows Powered NAS Dell device

    Windows 2000 SP4 would not address the blaster fix as it is an issue in SQL
    Server and not in the base OS. You would need to obtain the latest SQL
    Service Pack to address that. However, you would need to check with Dell to
    see what would happen in that case (i.e. if you install SQL Service Pack
    does their solution stop working). Also, are you talking about a full SQL
    instance or MSDE?

    Pat

    "Scott" wrote in message
    news:8fc85bf.0406291143.110df932@posting.google.co m...
    > Hello,
    >
    > Has anyone attempted to use Windows Update on a NAS device with a
    > "Windows Powered" Device? I just purchased a 725 DELL PowerVault,
    > it's a nice 500 gig NAS box, that came with Windows Powered running on
    > it.
    >

    > Problem is, it is incompatible with WindowsUpdate, and it is telling
    > me that I have SQL 2000 on my machine and it hasn't been patched with
    > the Blaster virus fix.
    >
    > Dell tells me that if I go ahead and patch it, my machine will be
    > unusable. Microsoft is telling me that in this case I don't need to
    > patch it because "Windows Powered" is actually Windows Advanced Server
    > 2000 SP4. However, moving forward, how will windowsupdate support
    > these devices?
    >
    > -Scott

  3. Re: Microsoft Windows Powered NAS Dell device

    I just realized that I was confused (i.e. wrong). When you mentioned SQL, I
    thought you were talking about the Slammer Worm (which is a security issue
    in SQL/MSDE and not patched by OS Service Packs). Blaster was a bug in
    RPCSS.dll which is a system component and would be updated by Windows
    Update. You can verify that you are OK (or not) by checking the date on the
    RPCSS.dll in the c:\winnt\system32 (or c:\windows\system32 - depending on
    how the image was setup); it should be Aug 23, 2003 or later
    (http://support.microsoft.com/default...824146#Win2000). You can
    also download the patch directly (i.e. not go through Windows Update) if
    needed.

    All OS security fixes are tested on the NAS software at Microsoft (base
    image), so the box will still work after you apply the patch (i.e. all the
    shares will work, clients will connect, etc.). It is strongly recommended
    that you install all security patches.

    Any additional features (i.e. customizations) that may have been added by an
    OEM are tested by the OEM.

    Pat

    "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    > Windows 2000 SP4 would not address the blaster fix as it is an issue in

    SQL
    > Server and not in the base OS. You would need to obtain the latest SQL
    > Service Pack to address that. However, you would need to check with Dell

    > see what would happen in that case (i.e. if you install SQL Service Pack
    > does their solution stop working). Also, are you talking about a full SQL
    > instance or MSDE?
    >

    > Pat
    >
    > "Scott" wrote in message
    > news:8fc85bf.0406291143.110df932@posting.google.co m...
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > Has anyone attempted to use Windows Update on a NAS device with a
    > > "Windows Powered" Device? I just purchased a 725 DELL PowerVault,
    > > it's a nice 500 gig NAS box, that came with Windows Powered running on
    > > it.
    > >

    > > Problem is, it is incompatible with WindowsUpdate, and it is telling
    > > me that I have SQL 2000 on my machine and it hasn't been patched with
    > > the Blaster virus fix.
    > >
    > > Dell tells me that if I go ahead and patch it, my machine will be
    > > unusable. Microsoft is telling me that in this case I don't need to
    > > patch it because "Windows Powered" is actually Windows Advanced Server
    > > 2000 SP4. However, moving forward, how will windowsupdate support
    > > these devices?
    > >
    > > -Scott

  4. Re: Microsoft Windows Powered NAS Dell device

    And precisely for that last reason, one would expect that all support would
    come from the OEM.

    Pat, why is this different and why is it expected to work properly?

    Al

    "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    > I just realized that I was confused (i.e. wrong). When you mentioned SQL,

    > thought you were talking about the Slammer Worm (which is a security issue
    > in SQL/MSDE and not patched by OS Service Packs). Blaster was a bug in
    > RPCSS.dll which is a system component and would be updated by Windows
    > Update. You can verify that you are OK (or not) by checking the date on

    the
    > RPCSS.dll in the c:\winnt\system32 (or c:\windows\system32 - depending on
    > how the image was setup); it should be Aug 23, 2003 or later
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/default...824146#Win2000). You can
    > also download the patch directly (i.e. not go through Windows Update) if
    > needed.
    >
    > All OS security fixes are tested on the NAS software at Microsoft (base
    > image), so the box will still work after you apply the patch (i.e. all the
    > shares will work, clients will connect, etc.). It is strongly recommended
    > that you install all security patches.
    >
    > Any additional features (i.e. customizations) that may have been added by

    an
    > OEM are tested by the OEM.
    >

    > Pat
    >

    > "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    > > Windows 2000 SP4 would not address the blaster fix as it is an issue in

    > SQL
    > > Server and not in the base OS. You would need to obtain the latest SQL
    > > Service Pack to address that. However, you would need to check with

    Dell
    > > see what would happen in that case (i.e. if you install SQL Service Pack
    > > does their solution stop working). Also, are you talking about a full

    SQL
    > > instance or MSDE?
    > >

    > > Pat
    > >
    > > "Scott" wrote in message
    > > news:8fc85bf.0406291143.110df932@posting.google.co m...
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > Has anyone attempted to use Windows Update on a NAS device with a
    > > > "Windows Powered" Device? I just purchased a 725 DELL PowerVault,
    > > > it's a nice 500 gig NAS box, that came with Windows Powered running on
    > > > it.
    > > >

    > > > Problem is, it is incompatible with WindowsUpdate, and it is telling
    > > > me that I have SQL 2000 on my machine and it hasn't been patched with
    > > > the Blaster virus fix.
    > > >
    > > > Dell tells me that if I go ahead and patch it, my machine will be
    > > > unusable. Microsoft is telling me that in this case I don't need to
    > > > patch it because "Windows Powered" is actually Windows Advanced Server
    > > > 2000 SP4. However, moving forward, how will windowsupdate support
    > > > these devices?
    > > >
    > > > -Scott

  5. Re: Microsoft Windows Powered NAS Dell device

    I am only referring to security patches here. Non-security patches should
    only come through the OEM. This is primarily due to the time criticality of
    a security issue.

    Pat

    "Al Mulnick" wrote in message
    > And precisely for that last reason, one would expect that all support

    would
    > come from the OEM.
    >
    > Pat, why is this different and why is it expected to work properly?
    >

    > Al
    >
    > "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    > > I just realized that I was confused (i.e. wrong). When you mentioned

    SQL,
    > > thought you were talking about the Slammer Worm (which is a security

    issue
    > > in SQL/MSDE and not patched by OS Service Packs). Blaster was a bug in
    > > RPCSS.dll which is a system component and would be updated by Windows
    > > Update. You can verify that you are OK (or not) by checking the date on

    > the
    > > RPCSS.dll in the c:\winnt\system32 (or c:\windows\system32 - depending

    on
    > > how the image was setup); it should be Aug 23, 2003 or later
    > > (http://support.microsoft.com/default...824146#Win2000). You

    can
    > > also download the patch directly (i.e. not go through Windows Update) if
    > > needed.
    > >
    > > All OS security fixes are tested on the NAS software at Microsoft (base
    > > image), so the box will still work after you apply the patch (i.e. all

    the
    > > shares will work, clients will connect, etc.). It is strongly

    recommended
    > > that you install all security patches.
    > >
    > > Any additional features (i.e. customizations) that may have been added

    by
    > an
    > > OEM are tested by the OEM.
    > >

    > > Pat
    > >

    > > "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    > > > Windows 2000 SP4 would not address the blaster fix as it is an issue

    in
    > > SQL
    > > > Server and not in the base OS. You would need to obtain the latest

    SQL
    > > > Service Pack to address that. However, you would need to check with

    > Dell
    > > > see what would happen in that case (i.e. if you install SQL Service

    Pack
    > > > does their solution stop working). Also, are you talking about a full

    > SQL
    > > > instance or MSDE?
    > > >

    > > > Pat
    > > >
    > > > "Scott" wrote in message
    > > > news:8fc85bf.0406291143.110df932@posting.google.co m...

    on

    with

    Server

  6. Re: Microsoft Windows Powered NAS Dell device

    Good to know.

    Curious though, how does the customer know which security patches are
    applicable to their OEM customized version? Is there a something notifying
    the person about to download that says, "This patch applies to versions
    x.y.z with serial number 1.2.3.43.4 from vendor ZZZZZZ" so they can be sure
    to get the right patch?

    Al

    "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    > I am only referring to security patches here. Non-security patches should
    > only come through the OEM. This is primarily due to the time criticality

    of
    > a security issue.
    >
    > Pat
    >
    > "Al Mulnick" wrote in message
    > > And precisely for that last reason, one would expect that all support

    > would
    > > come from the OEM.
    > >
    > > Pat, why is this different and why is it expected to work properly?
    > >

    > > Al
    > >
    > > "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    > > > I just realized that I was confused (i.e. wrong). When you mentioned

    > SQL,
    > > > thought you were talking about the Slammer Worm (which is a security

    > issue
    > > > in SQL/MSDE and not patched by OS Service Packs). Blaster was a bug

    in
    > > > RPCSS.dll which is a system component and would be updated by Windows
    > > > Update. You can verify that you are OK (or not) by checking the date

    on
    > > the
    > > > RPCSS.dll in the c:\winnt\system32 (or c:\windows\system32 - depending

    > on
    > > > how the image was setup); it should be Aug 23, 2003 or later
    > > > (http://support.microsoft.com/default...824146#Win2000). You

    > can
    > > > also download the patch directly (i.e. not go through Windows Update)

    if
    > > > needed.
    > > >
    > > > All OS security fixes are tested on the NAS software at Microsoft

    (base
    > > > image), so the box will still work after you apply the patch (i.e. all

    > the
    > > > shares will work, clients will connect, etc.). It is strongly

    > recommended
    > > > that you install all security patches.
    > > >
    > > > Any additional features (i.e. customizations) that may have been added

    > by
    > > an
    > > > OEM are tested by the OEM.
    > > >

    > > > Pat
    > > >

    > > > "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message

    > in
    > > > SQL

    > SQL

    > > Dell

    > Pack

    full
    > > SQL

    running
    > on

    telling

    > with

    > Server

  7. Re: Microsoft Windows Powered NAS Dell device

    The security patches from MS are universal to the OS in question (e.g. all
    Win2k3 based boxes). Brand/Model specific fixes (e.g. a fix to a feature
    unique to an OEM) would come direct from the OEM.

    Pat

    "Al Mulnick" wrote in message
    > Good to know.
    >
    > Curious though, how does the customer know which security patches are
    > applicable to their OEM customized version? Is there a something

    notifying
    > the person about to download that says, "This patch applies to versions
    > x.y.z with serial number 1.2.3.43.4 from vendor ZZZZZZ" so they can be

    sure
    > to get the right patch?
    >
    > Al
    >

    > "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    > > I am only referring to security patches here. Non-security patches

    should
    > > only come through the OEM. This is primarily due to the time

    criticality
    > of
    > > a security issue.
    > >
    > > Pat
    > >
    > > "Al Mulnick" wrote in message
    > > > And precisely for that last reason, one would expect that all support

    > > would
    > > > come from the OEM.
    > > >
    > > > Pat, why is this different and why is it expected to work properly?
    > > >

    > > > Al
    > > >
    > > > "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message

    mentioned
    > > SQL,

    > > issue

    > in

    Windows

    date
    > on
    > > > the

    depending
    > > on

    You
    > > can

    Update)
    > if

    > (base

    all
    > > the

    > > recommended

    added
    > > by
    > > > an

    issue
    > > in

    latest
    > > SQL

    with
    > > > Dell

    Service
    > > Pack

    > full
    > > > SQL

    PowerVault,

    > running
    > > on

    > telling

    > > with

    be

    need

    > > Server

    support

  8. Re: Microsoft Windows Powered NAS Dell device

    Ok. Thanks Pat. I'll go run and install some IE security fixes to my NAS
    box before tomorrow then.

    Al

+ Reply to Thread