iSCSI, HBAs - Storage

This is a discussion on iSCSI, HBAs - Storage ; Greetings, We are looking to setup an iSCSI based SAN with 4 clustered Windows 2003 Servers. While realizing that a gigabit NIC would handle the job, do I have to have an HBA for iSCSI for advanced storage solutions such ...

  1. iSCSI, HBAs

    Greetings,

    We are looking to setup an iSCSI based SAN with 4 clustered Windows
    2003 Servers. While realizing that a gigabit NIC would handle the
    job, do I have to have an HBA for iSCSI for advanced storage solutions
    such as Volume Shadow Copy?

    According to http://is.pennnet.com/Articles/Artic...ICLE_ID=177898

    I have to have a supported HBA to do so. I cannot find anymore
    information on this from Technet, etc.

    Quote:
    'While both types of adapters speed up iSCSI processing on the server,
    Microsoft Windows treats TOE adapters very differently than iSCSI
    HBAs. "An iSCSI HBA appears to Windows as a storage device, while an
    iSCSI TOE card appears as a very smart NIC," says Microsoft's Adam.
    "iSCSI HBAs allow booting from an iSCSI target and can take advantage
    of Windows storage services." '

    Any information is appreciated.

    In His Peace,
    Dustin Lambert

  2. Re: iSCSI, HBAs

    Not sure what the context was in that article. In any case, you can use VSS
    with the software initiator.

    Jeff [MSFT]

    "Dustin A. Lambert" wrote in message
    news:615cf310.0406241009.20f09058@posting.google.c om...
    > Greetings,
    >
    > We are looking to setup an iSCSI based SAN with 4 clustered Windows
    > 2003 Servers. While realizing that a gigabit NIC would handle the
    > job, do I have to have an HBA for iSCSI for advanced storage solutions
    > such as Volume Shadow Copy?
    >
    > According to
    > http://is.pennnet.com/Articles/Artic...ICLE_ID=177898
    >
    > I have to have a supported HBA to do so. I cannot find anymore
    > information on this from Technet, etc.
    >
    > Quote:
    > 'While both types of adapters speed up iSCSI processing on the server,
    > Microsoft Windows treats TOE adapters very differently than iSCSI
    > HBAs. "An iSCSI HBA appears to Windows as a storage device, while an
    > iSCSI TOE card appears as a very smart NIC," says Microsoft's Adam.
    > "iSCSI HBAs allow booting from an iSCSI target and can take advantage
    > of Windows storage services." '
    >
    > Any information is appreciated.
    >
    > In His Peace,
    > Dustin Lambert

  3. Re: iSCSI, HBAs

    Greetings,

    This is great news. One last question, does anyone have any comments
    on the Promise VTrak 15200?

    More information is at this location:
    http://www.promise.com/product/produ...121&familyId=6

    In His Peace,