Windows Storage Server 2003 Feature Pack - Storage

This is a discussion on Windows Storage Server 2003 Feature Pack - Storage ; Hi, we want to buy HP StorageWorks NAS 2000s with Windows Storage Server 2003. On www.hp.com I found that this NAS allows to host Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 data stores on NAS already. The new feature allows the hosting of ...

  1. Windows Storage Server 2003 Feature Pack

    Hi,
    we want to buy HP StorageWorks NAS 2000s with Windows Storage Server 2003.
    On www.hp.com I found that this NAS allows to host Microsoft Exchange Server
    2003 data stores on NAS already. The new feature allows the hosting of the
    databases
    and logs of up to two Exchange Servers and up to 1500 Exchange mailboxes on
    single NAS 2000s.

    We plan to deploy Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise with 300 mailboxes on two
    node
    Windows Server 2003 Enterprise cluster in active/active mode and for
    Exchange data
    stores we want use this NAS.

    Is it possible to connect Exchange Server two node active/active cluster to
    this NAS with
    Windows Storage Server 2003 Feature Pack installed on NAS? I supose that for
    each
    node we need add separate gigabit NIC to NAS.

    Where I can get Windows Storage Server 2003 Feature Pack and more info about
    it?

    Thanks
    Ros

  2. Re: Windows Storage Server 2003 Feature Pack

    The feature pack is being distributed through OEMs. To obtain it, you will
    need to contact (in this case) HP. However, for general info:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...change_fp.mspx

    As to the Active/Active Cluster, yes you can store the .edb's on the NAS
    box. Basically, you can have a maximum of 2 Exchange instances per NAS
    device:

    1 Active/Active cluster or
    2 Active/Passive clusters or
    2 Standalone (i.e. non-clustered) or
    1 Active/Passive cluster + 1 Standalone

    As to the NIC's, you will need 1Gb for each Exchange Node. Ideally
    connected to different ports of a 1Gb Switch. How much network bandwith you
    need is almost entirely dependent on usage patterns. 300 users will likely
    stress a 100Mb connection pretty badly during peak hours. If the network
    pipe fills up, Exchange may dismount the stores to prevent data loss. So,
    having some extra headroom is a good idea.

    You should also not store the transaction log on the same volume as the DBs
    as this can cause problems for you (i.e. you may not be able to recover from
    a catastrophic failure).

    Pat

    "Ros" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > we want to buy HP StorageWorks NAS 2000s with Windows Storage Server
    > 2003.
    > On www.hp.com I found that this NAS allows to host Microsoft Exchange
    > Server
    > 2003 data stores on NAS already. The new feature allows the hosting of the
    > databases
    > and logs of up to two Exchange Servers and up to 1500 Exchange mailboxes
    > on a
    > single NAS 2000s.
    >
    > We plan to deploy Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise with 300 mailboxes on
    > two node
    > Windows Server 2003 Enterprise cluster in active/active mode and for
    > Exchange data
    > stores we want use this NAS.
    >
    > Is it possible to connect Exchange Server two node active/active cluster
    > to this NAS with
    > Windows Storage Server 2003 Feature Pack installed on NAS? I supose that
    > for each
    > node we need add separate gigabit NIC to NAS.
    >
    > Where I can get Windows Storage Server 2003 Feature Pack and more info
    > about it?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ros

+ Reply to Thread