Setting Up Standalone NAS Network - Storage

This is a discussion on Setting Up Standalone NAS Network - Storage ; Hello, We have a very small office with shared broadband internet access via a central router. Now we would like some shared storage on the network. I read about "Windows Storage Server 2003" and NAS devices. However, the one thing ...

  1. Setting Up Standalone NAS Network

    Hello,
    We have a very small office with shared broadband internet access via
    a central router. Now we would like some shared storage on the
    network.
    I read about "Windows Storage Server 2003" and NAS devices. However,
    the one thing that I find confusing is that the system seems marketed
    towards integrating _extra_ storage into an already established
    network.

    Does this mean there is no facility for setting up user logins and
    permissions to the various directories i may wish to create? We want
    to use the system as a standalone file / print server. We do not have
    / want any other servers on the network...

    Also, are ther special versions of virus checking software available
    for these machines?

    TIA
    Stephen

  2. Re: Setting Up Standalone NAS Network

    They can be a stand-alone server. What they cannot do is be a domain
    controller. So, in a small office you can get the file and print with local
    users. If this is the first server for the company you might also want to
    check out Small Business Server. It gets you file and print plus a domain
    controller, exchange, etc.

    As to the virus checking software most of the NAS solutions come with AV
    software pre-installed from the OEM. You'll have to check to see which
    version they include.

    Pat

    "StudioTwo" wrote in message
    news:49584fba.0406170523.4d20ef1e@posting.google.c om...
    > Hello,
    > We have a very small office with shared broadband internet access via
    > a central router. Now we would like some shared storage on the
    > network.
    > I read about "Windows Storage Server 2003" and NAS devices. However,
    > the one thing that I find confusing is that the system seems marketed
    > towards integrating _extra_ storage into an already established
    > network.
    >
    > Does this mean there is no facility for setting up user logins and
    > permissions to the various directories i may wish to create? We want
    > to use the system as a standalone file / print server. We do not have
    > / want any other servers on the network...
    >
    > Also, are ther special versions of virus checking software available
    > for these machines?
    >
    > TIA
    > Stephen

  3. Re: Setting Up Standalone NAS Network

    Pat,
    Thank you so much. Funny you should suggest it, as I run a SBS 2000 at my
    place of work.
    My question relates to a friend's business where I set him up temporarily
    using a workgroup. He has no IT resources whatsoever, so a basic (?) file /
    print system "in a box" so to speak, would be of use to him.

    Regarding "local users", my interpretation is that it would still basically
    be a "workgroup" arrangment for him (no login prompts or scripts). If I
    cannot set up a domain (and I thought that to be a definition of a windows
    server) this does not sound much better than sticking an xp professional
    machine (with a printer attached) in a corner of the room and using that as
    a 10 user server. Apologies if that sounds a bit crude, but your advice is
    most welcome.

    Thanks Again,
    Stephen

    "Pat [MSFT]" wrote in message
    > They can be a stand-alone server. What they cannot do is be a domain
    > controller. So, in a small office you can get the file and print with

    local
    > users. If this is the first server for the company you might also want to
    > check out Small Business Server. It gets you file and print plus a domain
    > controller, exchange, etc.
    >
    > As to the virus checking software most of the NAS solutions come with AV
    > software pre-installed from the OEM. You'll have to check to see which
    > version they include.
    >

    > Pat
    >
    > "StudioTwo" wrote in message
    > news:49584fba.0406170523.4d20ef1e@posting.google.c om...
    > > Hello,
    > > We have a very small office with shared broadband internet access via
    > > a central router. Now we would like some shared storage on the
    > > network.
    > > I read about "Windows Storage Server 2003" and NAS devices. However,
    > > the one thing that I find confusing is that the system seems marketed
    > > towards integrating _extra_ storage into an already established
    > > network.
    > >
    > > Does this mean there is no facility for setting up user logins and
    > > permissions to the various directories i may wish to create? We want
    > > to use the system as a standalone file / print server. We do not have
    > > / want any other servers on the network...
    > >
    > > Also, are ther special versions of virus checking software available
    > > for these machines?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > Stephen

    ---

  4. Re: Setting Up Standalone NAS Network

    For purely file/print for <10 users, XP will probably suffice. My
    experience has been, however, that file/print may not be all that is needed.
    I would double check on the e-mail/proxy requirements just to make sure.

    Pat

    /